Community Forum

Adobe Flash Player

Contributor

Adobe Flash Player

When I tried to log into my account this morning, 10/12/2019, my browser, Apple Safari v13.02, was redirected to a site saying that Adobe Flash Player "might" be out of date.  I was allowed to close the window easily.

I suspect this was an attempt to load malware on my computer and I am VERY reluctant to load Flash Player on any of my devices.

I am using a 2014 27-inch iMac running MacOS Catalina.  The browser is Apple Safari v13.02.

Does anyone have additional info regarding Adobe Flash Player?

Thanks in advance.  Bob

Frequent Visitor

Re: Adobe Flash Player

It appears Flash will no longer run on Mac Catalina 10.15, and thus you will not be able to stream anything on Comcast.

I've spoken with two technical people at Comcast who had no idea about this.

Frequent Visitor

Try this....

I may have found a work around for the Flash/Catalina/Safari problem. I re-downloaded the Flash installer from Adobe, selecting the version for Mojave 10.14/Safari.

I then opened the Install Adobe Flash Player app and right-clicked to "Show Package Contents."

Then I opened the folder "MacOS" to reveal the Unix app "Adobe Flash Player Install Manager" and ran it. It installed Flash into my System Preferences, which it had not done before when just running the Adobe Flash Installer from the downloaded .dmg. So it seems there's a problem with Adobe's installer but not the Unix app. (?)

Interestingly, if I run the System Report @ About This Mac for installed "Applications" there's no evidence that Flash has been installed, only the installer is registered. I'm wondering if the installer is 32-bit and that's why it won't work. Under Catalina I can't see that in the System Reports as there is no column for 32-bit or 64-bit anymore, since I guess that the assumption is that all installed apps are now only 64-bit.

BTW, make sure that in Safari Preferences/Websites/Plug-ins that Adobe Flash has been installed and is set to either "on" or "ask."

Hope this works for everyone.

Contributor

Thank you so much for the reply.  It looks like you've done quite a bit of work on my behalf and I greatly appreciate it.

I uninstalled Adobe Flash Player from both computers a couple of years ago so I was mainly concerned that the message I saw was malware so I'm relieved that it was legitimate.  What concerned me most was the message literally took over the screen.  There was no menu bar and it was very intimidating.  As I said in my intial post, I was thankful that I could quite Safari as in some cases it is necessary to Force Quit.

I don't use any streaming services at all so it isn't an issue for me if Flash doesn't work on Catalina.

Thanks again for all the effort you've put into this question.  Bob

Frequent Visitor

Thanks.

I've removed Flash numerous times forgetting that very occasionally I need it  to watch something I've missed. Then Comcast reminds me why I had it installed!

I'm looking forward to the day it's eliminated.

Contributor

Yep!  I understand.  Comcast makes me shake my head now and then so I'll add this to the list.  Smiley Happy

Thanks again for your help.