Community Forum

2018 Xfinity Forum Redesign Feedback

Administrator

2018 Xfinity Forum Redesign Feedback

In July of 2018 the Xfinity Help & Support Forum went through a redesign to better align with other Xfinity digital environments, like our web portals and apps. We have worked diligently to optimize the look and function of the forum and ensure ease of use.

With the launch of the new site we welcome your feedback about the forum redesign. We would like to use this thread to answer questions about changes that may have been made, and identify, prioritize and address any bug issues for things that may not be working as expected.

If you choose to help us by reporting “bugs” with the new redesign, we ask that you provide the following information:

Issue Type (Design or Functionality)

Brief Description of Issue

Hyperlink to Issue Location

Browser Info (Please Include Version Info)

Screenshot (Optional)

With your help we’ll continue to make the Xfinity Help & Support Forum a positive and helpful environment for all our customers.

Thank you!

**UPDATE 08/17/18**

• Profile issue that did not allow some users to view their own Xfinity Forum profile page should now be resolved. For impacted users, please clear your cache and cookies and then reload the Xfinity Forum. After these steps you should then be able to access your profile page.

**UPDATE 07/27/18**

• Updated to vertical layout on announcement section instead of horizontal for mobile. 
  • Removed gap at bottom of page on page view
  • Resolved issue where reply section "blacks out" when you start to scroll down in the reply in all formats
  • Resolved issue where reply menu not displaying correctly in some browsers 
  • Add indicator on posts to inform users that they are in the Archive sections of the forum.
  • Removed grey lines from advanced search
  • Removed additional suggestions from search
  • Moved page numbers from top right to bottom of page, per design team request
  • In announcement section, center text with relationship to the image logo for desktop & use horizontal layout. 
  • Post image changed to "Ask a question"
  • Updated accordion menu with 'button' for screen reader to read (accessibility correction)
  • Knowledge Base name changed to “Xfinity Answers”
  • Padding corrected on Landing Page
  • Restored post date indicator for mobile devices

**UPDATE 7/20/18**

• We released our weekly update. Users, that are signed in, will notice a blue bar in the left of the topic view on posts that you have not previously read (this was a result of user feedback around identifying read/unread posts)
  • We resolved the issue some users shared around a black box in the post/reply window in Rich Text view
  • We fixed an issue where some users would see the new images in the welcome/search box overflowing into the upper navigation
  • We have completed the site wide migration from http:// to https://. This change not only helps to us to maintain a more secure forum, but also allows for maintaining a forum login when on your home network. If the forum is not automatically logging you in when you are on your home network, ensure that you have cleared your cache and cookies and that you are now using https:// for all forum webpages (this may require that you update any Xfinity Forum bookmarks that you may have). 

**UPDATE 07/13/18**

• We have listened to your feedback and have made some changes. The font for posts in the forum is now a "thicker" weight. You should now notice posts are easier to read and have more contrast.

**UPDATE 07/11/18**

• Images "spilling" into the margins have been fixed as of today. All images added to a thread should now neatly fit into the post. 
  • More updates to come and will be shared here.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

Re: 2018 Xfinity Forum Redesign Feedback

The default font is too hard to read and too light.  

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Expert

Agreed, a little more contrast would be helpful here.

Comcast Experts are other customers who volunteer their time helping on the forum and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
Unless so specifically stated, my opinions written herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Comcast, its official employees or affiliates.
Expert

There is no easy way to navigate from forum to forum. To go from one forum to another you need to go back to the homepage. 

Expert

So far I have been able to reply to some posts. After seeing "Posted", I did get knocked off the forum when trying to return to X1 forum under tv.

That might be due to number of people using new setup. I overcame this problem by going back to Comcast site, selecting forums again and signing back in. I did find my new replies all intact under each forum section.

I also noticed page size supplied for the test did not show all information off to the right of the page.

I am running Edge in Windows 10.

Highlighted
Expert

I did notice that by enlarging page view by 150% with computer that viewing pages in new colors was very easy to read. However; the right edge of the has a black bar blocking reading the very right side of page. There was also a black bar showing up across the bottom of the reply window when replying a couple of times. It blocks typing in more of a reply. I also noticed the new post / replies are missing from this version. They were added as a feature in the last year.
Bronze Problem Solver

"My profile" crashes when I try to access it. I can't find ANYTHING! There's a screen capture below showing the error message.. Good luck finding it! How do you find the list of new posts, so we can respond? How do you find your own posts? When I try My Profile, it crashes (see above)? How can you tell which posts are new and which ones are old? There doesn't seem to be any difference. There's a second screen capture here showing that. Good luck finding it! Wow. Suddenly I have ten windows open. Oh, I see. Every click opens a new window. Why is that happening??. "Stay Signed In" isn't working. Note that there are nine separate paragraphs here. Not one long one, as shown. We don't seem to be redirected to the last read message in a thread anymore, and there's no indication which ones have been read and which have not. Sorry, this is totally unusable.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG
Bronze Problem Solver

Too hard to tell which posts have and have not been read. Can you tell which posts I've read in the capture below?
Untitled.png
Bronze Problem Solver

When replying to a post and including images, there is no way to change size of image or see it within your post prior to posting
Problem Solver

Re: Changes to these forums...........

I have this screen set for BOLD...  AND DARK BLUE.!!   There seems to be no control.  I can barely read this text, and all the text of all the forums...    What are you doing?   Whoever is responsible for these changes, PLEASE, I beg you , consider the elderly and those with vision problems!!   

This new format is not at all pleasant!  

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Changes to these forums...........

Agreed. This has been a long standing complaint with forum implementation, for over a decade now. <edited for violating forum guidelines>

Expert

The path at the top of the page is wrong on every page. You can't navigate back to a specific forum where the post is located from the post. 

Expert

The reply menu isn't displaying properly. 

Google Chrome Version 67.0.3396.99 (Official Build) (64-bit) Win 10

reply_1.PNG

Expert

Employee's usernames are no longer in red.

Expert

The My Settings and My Subscriptions links at the top don't work - boots me back to main page.    

It works now. Figures. Man Tongue

Safari, iPad 5th Gen (Thanks Comcast Cat LOL ) iOS 11.4. 

Comcast Experts are other customers who volunteer their time helping on the forum and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
Unless so specifically stated, my opinions written herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Comcast, its official employees or affiliates.
Bronze Problem Solver

Preferences have changed "Default editor to use for posts" to HTML in FF 61.0. I always had Rich Text. With html, qouted post shows as html

Untitled.png
Expert

There is no external indication that a post has been solved. 

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/CM1000-1AZNAS-Not-supported/m-p/3113823

Regular Contributor

I have to agree. Even though I have perfect vision, the text is just too thin and hard to see. Doesn't matter if I view on PC or phone.
Expert

In checking my "Personal Information" page I found no information filled in any of the blocks, and about 100 IP addresses listed near the bottom of the page. No information about me on a computer site is good for me, but not what Comcast was expecting. The rest of: Profile, setting, etc. , seems okay. Using a Lenovo AIO computer with Edge on Windows 10.

After thinking about it, I may not have entered anything here if not required back in 2016. IP addresses don't belong.

Expert

One item I find helpful was all my post replies were listed (newest first) when I clicked on My Profile.

It seems to be the best way to at least view, and reply, to my most current posts I am involved in. Also the 2nd option when anyone replied to a post I was involved in.

Expert

Emoticons don't always display properly.  Like in this post: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Customer-Service/New-names-for-some-equipment-and-services/m-p/3115208#...

Chome Version 67.0.3396.99 (Official Build) (64-bit) Win 10

Bronze Problem Solver

@MNtundraRET wrote:

One item I find helpful was all my post replies were listed (newest first) when I clicked on My Profile.

It seems to be the best way to at least view, and reply, to my most current posts I am involved in.

I'm still getting "An Unexpected Error has occurred." when hitting My Profile. Does that in Firefox and Chrome.
Capture.JPG
Silver Problem Solver

2018 Forum redesign

Not sure where the best place for this is, so I guess I will put it here. My first main issue is how "thin" the main text is. I can barely see it on my screen. What is being used for bold should be the normal text, and the bold text should be thicker.. This applies to everything, not just the topic titles. Even trying to type this is hard as it is 1-pixel wide gray text on white. Not all of us have 20/20 vision and 50" monitors!
Expert

The editor is inserting non-breaking space code where it does not belong, then does not display it correctly. Notice the non-breaking space between the words to and have.

nbsp1.PNGAs it appears in the codenbsp2.PNGAs it appears in the live forum

The display error is not seen in the editor or the preview, just the live forums.

This is the actual post: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Gigabit-Download-Speeds-Slower-Than-Advertised-Possi...

Chrome Version 67.0.3396.99 (Official Build) (64-bit) Win 10

Edit: It actually did it in this post. The first line after the word inserting. the second line after the word the.

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: 2018 Forum redesign

@andyross wrote:
Not sure where the best place for this is, so I guess I will put it here. My first main issue is how "thin" the main text is. I can barely see it on my screen. What is being used for bold should be the normal text, and the bold text should be thicker.. This applies to everything, not just the topic titles. Even trying to type this is hard as it is 1-pixel wide gray text on white. Not all of us have 20/20 vision and 50" monitors!

Hey, Andy. There's a long thread about it here: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Announcements/2018-Xfinity-Forum-Redesign-Feedback/td-p/3115018

Valued Contributor

Hovering over a name no longer shows people's information (badges, number of posts, rank, etc.) which I had always liked to see.

Aside from that, I agree with many other comments, especially the default font comments.  My screen is 1680 x 1050, and I suspect that with any lower resolution, it will be close to impossible to make out.  <edited for violating forum guidelines> (And that unreadable font is also used in the list of messages.)

Also--am I forgetting, or didn't "reply" formerly leave visible the post being replied to?

<edited for violating forum guidelines>

(Firefox on Windows Vista--still using, for now)

Regular Contributor

My first visit to the newly formatted site and I want to see NEW POSTS at a glance. It appears we have to go into EACH forum to see NEW POSTS. Is that correct? If so, not user friendly.
Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
Expert

@jav6joev wrote:
My first visit to the newly formatted site and I want to see NEW POSTS at a glance. It appears we have to go into EACH forum to see NEW POSTS. Is that correct? If so, not user friendly.

Currently; that seems to be the case. That was a new feature just added abouta year ago.

I liked it since we could see a trend where most of the newest complaints were coming from.

Problem Solver

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@jav6joev wrote:

Currently; that seems to be the case. That was a new feature just added abouta year ago.

I liked it since we could see a trend where most of the newest complaints were coming from.

Oh WOW!   <edited for violating forum guidelines> I quoted the previous post, but the original posters names were somehow not carried forward....     Should I be surprised?  

Anyhow my purpose was to make note that I am still able to view NEW POSTS by having the following link bookmarked and on my bookmarks bar.   

httphttp://forums.xfinity.com/t5/forums/recentpostspage/post-type/thread/page/1://forums.xfinity.com...

I hope this helps.  

<edited for violating forum guidelines>

ciao, bj

Regular Contributor

That link, http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/forums/recentpostspage/post-type/thread/page/1 , for 'recent posts' does work! Thanks. How did you come across that or did you have it bookmarked prior to the site upgrade?
Joe V
Bronze Problem Solver

Nice, BJ!  <edited for violating froum guidelinesSmiley Wink

Just kidding, of course.  Bookemarked it.

Problem Solver

@jav6joev wrote:
That link, http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/forums/recentpostspage/post-type/thread/page/1 , for 'recent posts' does work! Thanks. How did you come across that or did you have it bookmarked prior to the site upgrade?

I'm glad it still works..    Sometime during the last "revision" someone posted a couple of links that I found helpful.  I did bookmark it at the time, along with a couple of others prior <edited for violating forum guidelines>

ciao, bj

Expert

@BlueJay wrote:

@jav6joev wrote:

I'm glad it still works..    Sometime during the last "revision" someone posted a couple of links that I found helpful.  I did bookmark it at the time, along with a couple of others prior <edited for violating forum guidelines>.   

ciao, bj

The title was: "All Topics" in this revision. All we need to do is find where it is buried.

Expert

One problem I mentioned earlier was the black bar showing up in this reply box.

Blue Jay figured this one out. Just mouse down to the lower right corner of the reply box and drag towards 4 o-clock

Expert

Well I didn't find the "All Topics" forum. It exists but they did not create the link yet.

However; any us who replied on this feed-back post can click on My Profile and find find B.J.'s reply with the link.  Smiley Wink

Bronze Problem Solver

Except "My Profile" is still crashing (for me).Smiley Sad

Expert

@Welcome_to_Post wrote:

Except "My Profile" is still crashing (for me).Smiley Sad

What operating system are you using?

Bronze Problem Solver

Windows 7 Home Premium. Firefox 61.0.1 (64-bit).
Expert

@Welcome_to_Post wrote:
Windows 7 Home. Firefox 61.0.1 (64-bit).

I was afraid you would say Windows 7.

Can you down-load Google Chrome to that Computer?

Regular Contributor

I'm using Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) with Firefox 61.0.1 (32-bit) with no issues (viewing My Profile).
Joe V
Bronze Problem Solver

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@Welcome_to_Post wrote:
Windows 7 Home. Firefox 61.0.1 (64-bit).

I was afraid you would say Windows 7.

Can you down-load Google Chrome to that Computer?

Sure can.  Doing it with Chrome too.  And (shudder) Internet Explorer.

Expert

Welcome_to_post:

I can view your profile by clicking on your name on any of your replies here. Your profile shows fine. Mine has a black vertical bar on right side blocking Kudos count.

Try clicking on my name or BJ's to view our profiles. If it works try clicking on your name to see if this type of link works.

Bronze Problem Solver

Both yours and BJ's look fine.  So do a number of others I checked earlier.  Actually, the first improvement I've seen so far, except for the second grade kid's artwork on the page.  It's kinda cute, even if it has nothing to do with a help forum.

Mine?  Still get "An Unexpected Error has occurred. "  My Settings and Subscriptions work like they used to.  Makes sense, since I don't have any use for them. 

Problem Solver

@Nerdburg wrote:

There is no easy way to navigate from forum to forum. To go from one forum to another you need to go back to the homepage. 

Before I start, one bug to report:  when quoting a post,  the writer name is not shown here in the reply box, BUT  it does show in the posted reply.  

Google Chrome is up to date
Version 67.0.3396.99 (Official Build) (64-bit)
 Now for my question,  by home page do you mean the page that appears when I click "Xfinity Help and Support Forums"?     If so, the following is what I get, NEW NAME, & NEW GROUP HEADINGS as shown below.
New Name Forums 1.PNG
Sure is different from the last time I checked..    A major revision.. And now expanded, which is what you'd need to find the forum and home page of that forum... 
New Name Forums 2.PNGNew Name Forums 3.PNGNew Name Forums 4.PNGNew Name Forums 5.PNGNew Name Forums 6.PNGNew Name Forums 7.PNGAnd this whole thread is being discussed within the Announcements forum/board.  I went crazy after my initial post, trying to find where this thread was..  Thank God for the notifications and being able to back track to this area.    p..s. is it a bug that the number of notifications is showing between the bell and envelope?
ciao, bj  

Expert

After sleeping on some of the problems found here, it occured to me what might be causing the problem of getting into one's own My Profile.

We know others can view anyone's profile by clicking on their forum name. This does not involve a password check for view only.

For a member to view their own My Profile the program code requires ID & password check. It looks to me like this sub-routine may fail and cause the error code to show. The sub-routine may involve hand-shakes with Comcast system and individual's computer (device) operating system. The code could easily fail if certificates of each are not current. Basicly the problems found between "Adobe Flash" and "HTML5" systems. I hope the Comcast coders understand what I am saying here.

I believe the black vertical bar I see on my own My Profile is a code break. Other's don't see it on mine.

Expert

One new problem found.

No scroll-bar in the reply window. No way to back up to see options like spell check.

Problem Solver

@MNtundraRET wrote:

One new problem found.

No scroll-bar in the reply window. No way to back up to see options like spell check.  

No scroll bar present, but when I continue to type 

adding spacing to extend body of reply

I extended the whole reply window , all icons present in heading.  Including ABC spell check.

See images posted below:

Space bar in reply window.PNGspace bar in reply window 2.PNG

Google Chrome is up to date
Version 67.0.3396.99 (Official Build) (64-bit)  Win 7 O/S
The entire body of the reply scrolled upwards and remained within the confines of the reply window, with all the options present and available for use.
ciao, bj    
p.s.  For me, this is a GREAT improvement over the past reply window, <edited for violating forum guidelines>
Expert

Yes BJ, I can get the reply window expanded enough to see everything. But without the scroll bar there may be a limit to how far we can expand the reply window.

Hopefully they might get some of these "bugs" fixed soon so we don't have to deal with some of these temporary work arounds.

I needed to change my default setting from HTML to Rich Text to get the reply options to even show up in this window, very early yesterday. I am using Lenovo AIO computer with Edge & Windows 10.

Bronze Problem Solver

@Nerdburg wrote:

Especially cumbersome if you're made a response to someone's post.  You can't just use the back button to go back to the forum you were reading.  Back to the main page, back to the forum you were reading, scan to find where you left off.  Very cumbersome.

Also, the "<someone> wrote" error got carried forward to the new verson.  Edit:  at least in the reply window.

And if you quote, your post is part of the quote.

And a strange black bar shows up to keep you from seeing what you type!

Capture.JPG
Problem Solver

Hey WTP...  That strange black bar at the bottom can be moved by clicking on the DOTTED TRIANGLE in the lower right corner of the screen and pulling it down.  The window will be expanded to type further.   See my post #?? above..  

Oh Wait!!  I forgot, post numbering hasn't been repaired yet. 

ciao, bj

using hubby's puter  Lenovo  - Win 7 - IE 11

p.s. I just noticed that if that DOTTED TRIANGLE is moved up the screen will decrease.   Interesting....