Community Forum

won't apply Closed Captions to TCM and CNN.

This board is for questions about accessibility features (Video Description, Closed Captioning, Video guidance, etc.) for people with disabilities.
Regular Contributor

won't apply Closed Captions to TCM and CNN.

TCM channel 501 (on my SD TV) when viewing won't apply Closed Captions to TCM and CNN.  This has been occurring for a week now. When using my other  TV (HD) in SD mode will allow CC by using Cable Box's CC.    Went through a long chat session with Comcast CSR (I pay to get TCM) and CSR could not resolve.  Has Comcast changed encoding or something else to cause this only on TCM and CNN?

Of interest:  Same TCM titles that would not utilize CC when aired do work on same title if on TCM ON DEMAND (for TV not streaming).

Expert

Re: won't apply Closed Captions to TCM and CNN.

@SLannes wrote:

TCM channel 501 (on my SD TV) when viewing won't apply Closed Captions to TCM and CNN.  This has been occurring for a week now. When using my other  TV (HD) in SD mode will allow CC by using Cable Box's CC.    Went through a long chat session with Comcast CSR (I pay to get TCM) and CSR could not resolve.  Has Comcast changed encoding or something else to cause this only on TCM and CNN?

Of interest:  Same TCM titles that would not utilize CC when aired do work on same title if on TCM ON DEMAND (for TV not streaming).

I just got a replacement Cisco RNG 150N cable-box about 2 months ago. The remote that came with it does not even have a CC button.  I checked CNN about an hour ago and did not see a CC option showing in the info. window. I used my television remote to set up CC and got nowhere.

I am going to Escalate your post since it does look like something has changed.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@SLannes wrote:

I just got a replacement Cisco RNG 150N cable-box about 2 months ago. The remote that came with it does not even have a CC button.  I checked CNN about an hour ago and did not see a CC option showing in the info. window. I used my television remote to set up CC and got nowhere.

I am going to Escalate your post since it does look like something has changed.

XR-2 Remote has  button for CC.  As I stated I have no problem with CC on my HD TV.  MY HD BOX is RNG150N  MOTOROLA not CISCO.

Please ignore my posting since topic is TCM and CNN lack of CC on SD TVb

Regular Contributor

@SLannes wrote:

CNN SD channel is 56.  And, as per above, TCM SD channel is 501.  I have refreshed numerous times but problem persists.  Clicking mute on each opens sound volume but no closed captions.

Yesterday, Tuesday December 4 TCM aired "Love Me or Leave Me"  and, again, no closed captions. However, same title was simultaneously added to  TCM ON DEMAND (for TV not streaming). and it had closed captions!

I must presume I am the only one with this puzzling problem.  If not ,I'd appreciate input.

Regular Contributor

@SLannes wrote:

@SLannes wrote:

CNN SD channel is 56.  And, as per above, TCM SD channel is 501.  I have refreshed numerous times but problem persists.  Clicking mute on each opens sound volume but no closed captions.

Yesterday, Tuesday December 4 TCM aired "Love Me or Leave Me"  and, again, no closed captions. However, same title was simultaneously added to  TCM ON DEMAND (for TV not streaming). and it had closed captions!

I must presume I am the only one with this puzzling problem.  If not ,I'd appreciate input.

Today December 9 still no change ---------  no CCs.