Community Forum

Set-top box and audio out for Cochlear implant

This board is for questions about accessibility features (Video Description, Closed Captioning, Video guidance, etc.) for people with disabilities.
Frequent Visitor

Set-top box and audio out for Cochlear implant

So I'm trying to help my elderly Dad get tv audio to his cochlear implant. Have been struggling with this for several months. At some point we were advised to replace his old set-top box with something more modern and we ended up with a PR150BNC.

Unless I'm missing something this box has no volume control for audio out? Is there a current Comcast box that does have volume for audio out? Modern televisions also seem to have no control over the volume on audio out if I'm not mistaken?

His cochlear implant has a receiver that connects to the television audio out jacks - it only has a audio jack input and RCA connectors on the other end of the cable. From this device to the implant itself is via Bluetooth. If anyone cares to look at the device it is made by Rogers and is basically a handheld "pen" that can be worn around the neck on a lanyard or placed in a charging station base. The most frustrating part of this is that only the implant wearer can tell if this pen is working and, so far, we have never been able to get it to where my Dad thinks it is making any difference. There's a connection light - but there's no way for ME to tell if it is actually providing any audio to the implant. The only support available on this would be a 3-way conversation between me, the audiologist at the implant maker and Rogers the bluetooth "pen" maker and that would require a day off from work for me.

Separate or side issue: he can HEAR the television without the device that sends audio to the pen and then links to the implant - just like he can hear someone in the room talking to him - but he can't understand the television about 90% of the time. It's just sound to him not understandable speech. He's worse with female voices than with male - but in general the quality of the television audio is so poor (he says) that he can't make out the words. Anyone have any advice or experience that may help? Thanks!

signed, Deeply Frustrated

Expert

Re: Set-top box and audio out for Cochlear implant

@extendednet wrote:

So I'm trying to help my elderly Dad get tv audio to his cochlear implant. Have been struggling with this for several months. At some point we were advised to replace his old set-top box with something more modern and we ended up with a PR150BNC.

Unless I'm missing something this box has no volume control for audio out? Is there a current Comcast box that does have volume for audio out? Modern televisions also seem to have no control over the volume on audio out if I'm not mistaken?

His cochlear implant has a receiver that connects to the television audio out jacks - it only has a audio jack input and RCA connectors on the other end of the cable. From this device to the implant itself is via Bluetooth. If anyone cares to look at the device it is made by Rogers and is basically a handheld "pen" that can be worn around the neck on a lanyard or placed in a charging station base. The most frustrating part of this is that only the implant wearer can tell if this pen is working and, so far, we have never been able to get it to where my Dad thinks it is making any difference. There's a connection light - but there's no way for ME to tell if it is actually providing any audio to the implant. The only support available on this would be a 3-way conversation between me, the audiologist at the implant maker and Rogers the bluetooth "pen" maker and that would require a day off from work for me.

Separate or side issue: he can HEAR the television without the device that sends audio to the pen and then links to the implant - just like he can hear someone in the room talking to him - but he can't understand the television about 90% of the time. It's just sound to him not understandable speech. He's worse with female voices than with male - but in general the quality of the television audio is so poor (he says) that he can't make out the words. Anyone have any advice or experience that may help? Thanks!

signed, Deeply Frustrated

ask the audiologist about bluetooth capability. There are two current set top boxes that have the capability to link to bluetooth devices that are 'headsets'. The model you have is not a newer set top box. Do you have X1 service? do you have a DVR and any other set top boxes beside the rng150 ?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Official Employee

Those X1 boxes that have Bluetooth wouldn’t be an option as the device it’s connected would need volume control (which the implant doesn’t).

Official Employee

Extendednet, have you actually tried hooking up to the tv audio outputs (if available) and see if that works. All the boxes now don’t have controllable volume
Frequent Visitor

No DVR and no other set-top boxes (or televisions for that matter) in the home. Basic cable service only. He really only wants to be able to watch the news.

As for "not a newer model" it was received from a Comcast store within the last 2-3 months.

I'll look into the Bluetooth bit but I'm not sure what I need to ask the audiologist specifically?

Frequent Visitor

The implant does have volume control through its' own remote.

Official Employee

The only box with Bluetooth is a DVR and to be honest I’ve never heard if an implant like your dad’s is even compatible. Only bluetooth headphones and external speakers. Have you tried hooking up the cochlear receiver directly to the tv and then turning the tv speakers off ( if setting is there)?
Frequent Visitor

Yes that was the first method we tried and, with two different televisions, we could not seem to get any signal where we had any control over the volume. Again, the difficulty here is that I have no way of hearing what he's hearing - all I can do is see a connection light - and have to rely on him for feedback which is very difficult.

Back when he wore two hearing aids he wore a bluetooth pendant that relayed the sound from a device connected to the television into the hearing aids and with that device the television volume could be controlled separately from the audio that he was getting - so that other people in the room did not have to listen at higher volume for example. He could actually have the television speakers turned all the way down and listen comfortably through the audio going to the hearing aids. That's what we are hoping to get to with the implant and the Rogers pen.

Side note: the Rogers Pen seems to be a compromise - it is intended to be used in classrooms by being worn by the teacher, in conference rooms by being passed from speaker to speaker, and in group conversations by being pointed at the person speaking - in addition to being connected to things like a television and used to relay the audio.

Official Employee

I’ve escalated it up to a colleague to help out getting you the proper box and possibly get a tech out to assist you, maybe there’s a tv setting that you missed.
Frequent Visitor

I think we've tried literally everything at this point but the problem with turning off any tv speakers is if there are other people in the room they are excluded.

We've tried 2 different televisions, 2 different cable boxes - and the supposedly newer one was a step backwards which was very disappointing - I actually wish we had left that part of the system alone - and we've tried connecting the audio device to all 4 of those different devices - with the only connectors we have which are RCA to mini audio plug. We've read about separate amplifiers - a home stereo system for example - but have no equipment to test with and don't want to invest in a receiver or amplifier with no guarantee of success.

Frequent Visitor

Thank you @ComcastAndrew

Official Employee

Hello extendednet, I am following up with you on behalf of ComcastAndrew. I am more than happy to assist you with getting a tech to help get your Cochlear implant connected to your cable TV service. First I need to verify your account information so we send the tech to the right place, can you please send me a private message with your full address, account number, and the name on the account by clicking my name (ComcastAmir) and then clicking "private message me"?

Frequent Visitor

I'll have to verify the account number tomorrow, not sure I have it here although in a moment I will log out of my account and into my Dad's and see if I can find it. Thanks.

Official Employee

You're welcome, please reach back out to me when you're ready. 

Frequent Visitor

I have now sent the information requested via PM. Thanks for offering to help with this Amir (and Andrew).

Official Employee

@extendednet wrote:

I have now sent the information requested via PM. Thanks for offering to help with this Amir (and Andrew).

No worries, hope you're able to get your dad all hooked up 

Expert

adding.. xi5 also has bluetooth we are told.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Official Employee

Hello,

I lead product accessibility at Comcast. We are happy to help with

your situation. We do have Bluetooth capable boxes. Please send an email to accessibility@comcast.com so we can follow up to discuss possible options. We are able to effectively pair bluetooth hearing aids that enable independent volume control. I haven't personally looked at what might be available to enable similar functionality with a cochlear device. We have relationships with leaders in the hearing loss community that can assist if necessary to explore solutions.

Thank you.

Tom Wlodkowski