Community Forum

Seeing both types of CC over HDMI?

This board is for questions about accessibility features (Video Description, Closed Captioning, Video guidance, etc.) for people with disabilities.
Highlighted
New Poster

Seeing both types of CC over HDMI?

Hello.

I have the newer Xfinity set-top box, the XiD-P and just connected it to my TV using a new HDMI cable today.

Question: How is it that I can see traditional closed-captioning (CC) on my TV while using the following set-up? (I didn’t include the wall outlet coaxial (for the incoming cable signal) to the cable set-top receiver box since that’s a given.)

-Cable set-top receiver box connected to TV via HDMI

-TV source set to HDMI

-TV turned ON

-Cable set-top receiver box turned ON

-TV CC settings ON

-Cable set-top receiver box CC settings OFF

-Cable set-top receiver box connected to DVD/VCR combo player via coaxial

-DVD/VCR combo player connected to TV via RCA connector/composite cables

-DVD/VCR combo player OFF (we only turn it on when we use it and when we use it, we have to switch the TV source to AV)

There are two types of CC: 1) traditional analog CC (accessible in the TV menu settings) and 2) digital CC (accessible in the cable/satellite set-top receiver box menu settings).

Technically, I should not be able to see the traditional CC via HDMI. HDMI doesn’t work that way. So I must be doing something wrong, but what? If I turn on both the traditional CC (via the TV settings) and digital CC (via the cable set-top receiver box settings), I can see BOTH kinds of CCs over HDMI at the same time! That’s wrong. There should only be one, the digital CC. Mind you, I am not complaining. I prefer traditional over digital and would rather keep traditional CC. But I want to make sure I have the HDMI picture quality. Since I can see traditional CC, it makes me wonder if I am seeing the HDMI picture quality, but I know I am seeing the HDMI picture quality because I can turn on the digital CC and have both CCs on my TV at the same time.

Could it be possible that I’m getting the traditional CC over the [cable set-top receiver box]-to-[DVD-VCR combo player]-to-[TV] pathway?

What am I doing wrong? Or am I doing everything right? Then how come I can see traditional CC over HDMI when I was told that was impossible?

Thank you.

New Poster

Re: Seeing both types of CC over HDMI?

Please disregard the previous post. I cannot find a way to delete it.

I figured out what I was doing wrong. Somehow the TV source had been switched from HDMI to TV, maybe when using different remotes.

My apologies.

If possible, please delete my initial and this post.

Thank you.