Community Forum

Re: Sound quality

This board is for questions about accessibility features (Video Description, Closed Captioning, Video guidance, etc.) for people with disabilities.
Contributor

I would like to add to Body comment.  I am just finding out in the last two days that there are several different X1 boxes. There are ones called premium X! boxes but not in my package. Because I am hard of hearing I need headphones as an assistive device and found my new boxes do not have a jack to put my head phones in like I could with my last box which is not X1.  Comcast is not sure there is a solution for me.   

To add to your complaint since I have two new x1 devices is we must know our choices and which boxes have problems and make sure we are not given those boxes as a part of a package deal that lowers your monthly rate but costs us many comcast calls and days off to find out you have been scammed.   

Official Employee

There’s no such thing as premium X1 boxes and none have headphone jacks. For your dvr, what you can try is something similar to the picture attached. For your secondary box, if your tv doesn’t have an audio jack matching your headphones, you would have to swap it out for a box that has the red/white audio device and use the attached device there, as well

2DB347B9-6BD1-4448-91E3-FDDA0E9BE18C.jpeg
Expert

adding...

two of the newest set top boxes (DVR and companion) have wireless bluetooth for headphone. note that the headphone must have its own volume control feature as the output is 'fixed' from the set top box.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Contributor

A place on the X1 box t can attach headphones Part 2

A discussion both on line and on here made me believe that a tech would bring out X1 boxes so I could use headphones, I connected them before on my last box. Even though there are pictures of boxes on here that have the audio connection the tech guy and his boss looked in the warehouse and there is nothing like that.  He even tried to swap out the audio plugs on the television but it didn't work although there was a sputter from my headphones.

Any solutions from Comcast for the hearing impaired?

Expert

Re: A place on the X1 box t can attach headphones Part 2

@ellie45 wrote:

A discussion both on line and on here made me believe that a tech would bring out X1 boxes so I could use headphones, I connected them before on my last box. Even though there are pictures of boxes on here that have the audio connection the tech guy and his boss looked in the warehouse and there is nothing like that.  He even tried to swap out the audio plugs on the television but it didn't work although there was a sputter from my headphones.

Any solutions from Comcast for the hearing impaired?

for the location you are asking about does your headset use bluetooth technology or was it connected to your old set top box with wires? did you have a powered adapter that sent the audio to your headset?  does the headset have the ability to control the volume delivered to your ears?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Contributor

Andrew, I can call Comcast again. I was told by them .........well, after the date of this post of yours the tech guy and his supervisor had nothing straight forward to offer and that was the end of it. Must tell you I have not received the messages from you and another. Was just alerted that both of you wrote. Where yo propose this idea within the company is a problem. Thanks though.
Contributor

Rustyben thank you for a solution too. Amazing that Comcast tech and supervisor didn’t go the extra steps. If one of my 2 boxes is the master X1
can the other can it be hooked up to something other than an X1 without loosing features on remote? Again, I did not see an email from you or Andrew my apologies. Also out of order as this sentence is I can say the sound is not acceptable on some stations and things I have recorded. I have already moved to cc which is not something I expected when headphones are fine as I do control volume nicely.
Expert

@ellie45 wrote:
Rustyben thank you for a solution too. Amazing that Comcast tech and supervisor didn’t go the extra steps. If one of my 2 boxes is the master X1
can the other can it be hooked up to something other than an X1 without loosing features on remote? Again, I did not see an email from you or Andrew my apologies. Also out of order as this sentence is I can say the sound is not acceptable on some stations and things I have recorded. I have already moved to cc which is not something I expected when headphones are fine as I do control volume nicely.

is your main X1 set top box and xg1v4 DVR? you can see the version by saying 'about' into the voice remote and replying with the STB version.. it might be something like mx014. the reason I'm asking is that you could test out blue tooth connection to a set of headsets but be sure the headset has its own volume control. That might improve the sound quality but bluetooth sometimes 'delays' the sound compared to the 'lip sync' but that is adjustable in modern TV set menus. You asked about non-x1  with your X1. yes it can work but the two types of set top boxes will be fully unaware of the other and the older legacy set top boxes do not use a voice remote. Do you use a headset on more than one TV? 

Contributor

Re: A place on the X1 box t can attach headphones Part 2

My headset did not use Bluetooth and the charger was attached to the old box with red and white wires. I could control the volume. It was a very simple headset. Thanks for asking Rustyben.
Contributor

OK here goes. I never saw any numbers like
xg1v4 DVR.
The tech has installed a box in the den (though he calls it the bed room). It is a short little box with blue vertical stripe.
STB Version: PXDO1ANI_3.0p9s1_PROD_sdy
Release Version: 86.1.2

If it is possible to use the head phones on the first room with the little box now only then that would be used the most because it would be used by more than one person. The television puts out volume at different rates depending on if it is a recording of a movie I made or is regular tv. I know volume numbers are indicative of little but I have never seen numbers at 50 or so. It’s a shame it is a new 3 year old television at a cheap price to test this out. It is good enough for me.

As far as coming close to your STB Version I totally missed the mark didn’t I.
Contributor

Rusty also if the boxes were changed out and independent of one another I can understand that the X1 features would be totally gone.
Expert

@ellie45 wrote:
OK here goes. I never saw any numbers like
xg1v4 DVR.
The tech has installed a box in the den (though he calls it the bed room). It is a short little box with blue vertical stripe.
STB Version: PXDO1ANI_3.0p9s1_PROD_sdy
Release Version: 86.1.2

If it is possible to use the head phones on the first room with the little box now only then that would be used the most because it would be used by more than one person. The television puts out volume at different rates depending on if it is a recording of a movie I made or is regular tv. I know volume numbers are indicative of little but I have never seen numbers at 50 or so. It’s a shame it is a new 3 year old television at a cheap price to test this out. It is good enough for me.

As far as coming close to your STB Version I totally missed the mark didn’t I.

that px001 is an xg1 DVR version 1 and it has the red and white rca jacks (line out). those would feed into the amp. have a picture of the input area (jacks/wires) of your transmitter? the px001 does not have bluetooth. There is a satellite box (non-dvr) that has the audio jacks too it is an xg2 (any version)

Contributor

Thank you for your answer.
4380C64D-9542-4C22-8D4B-D9C48E06DF24.jpeg
5CBB6DC2-E839-4B86-ADDB-C3DD07381BD5.jpeg
7B2C79C4-2603-4BEB-A89E-0E51E9F98416.jpeg
Contributor

Thank you for your answer Rustben.
4380C64D-9542-4C22-8D4B-D9C48E06DF24.jpeg
5CBB6DC2-E839-4B86-ADDB-C3DD07381BD5.jpeg
7B2C79C4-2603-4BEB-A89E-0E51E9F98416.jpeg
Expert

when you plug the red jack into the red socket and the white into the white socket do you hear sound? is your TV hooked up HDMI compatible?

Contributor

Rustyben

you asked about attaching red wire to red and white to white.  I need a little more instruction.

From what to what? Headphone transmitter wires to tv?  This television has some HDMI slots as you can see. 

7ECB62B0-F5ED-4536-B88C-CE1D8324444E.jpegBack of television in bedroom with long box green circle

Expert

@ellie45 wrote:

Rustyben

you asked about attaching red wire to red and white to white.  I need a little more instruction.

From what to what? Headphone transmitter wires to tv?  This television has some HDMI slots as you can see. 

if you just unhook the yellow/red/white connectors from your TV your HDMI will (normally) give your TV full stereo sound. can you verify that? that would allow you to use 'only' the red and white audio jacks on the DVR to connect to your headset transmitter. the headset would then control the headset volume.

Contributor

Yes, yes, yes. It worked perfectly when I pulled the red, white and yellow out of the back of my television in the bedroom. The audio stayed on and I plugged in the red and white wires from the headphones transmitter and can hear the bedroom tv fine with just the headphone or with headphones and tv but I muted the tv.

Rusty you must let Comcast know what you did for the hearing impaired community. Jeez.

Now I have to switch boxes from bedroom to den. Can I get you an award and Xfinity to but the boxes in the right room. The boxes are mislabeled incorrectly for den and bedroom. Switch names I want the headphones to work in the den.
Expert

@ellie45 wrote:
Yes, yes, yes. It worked perfectly when I pulled the red, white and yellow out of the back of my television in the bedroom. The audio stayed on and I plugged in the red and white wires from the headphones transmitter and can hear the bedroom tv fine with just the headphone or with headphones and tv but I muted the tv.

Rusty you must let Comcast know what you did for the hearing impaired community. Jeez.

Now I have to switch boxes from bedroom to den. Can I get you an award and Xfinity to but the boxes in the right room. The boxes are mislabeled incorrectly for den and bedroom. Switch names I want the headphones to work in the den.

if you go to https://secure.xfinity.com/profile/#devices and log in, you will see your equipment with current labels. to easily change name 'den' and click the little blue circle to right of the name and change to 'den change' then click on change. then click on the blue circle to right of bedroom and backspace over name and change to 'den'. click save. go back to 'den change' click on the circle again and backspace changing it to bedroom. save.

Contributor

Rustyben, now that I have found the best answer, 

@Rustyben wrote:

@ellie45 wrote:

if you go to https://secure.xfinity.com/profile/#devices and log in, you will see your equipment with current labels. to easily change name 'den' and click the little blue circle to right of the name and change to 'den change' then click on change. then click on the blue circle to right of bedroom and backspace over name and change to 'den'. click save. go back to 'den change' click on the circle again and backspace changing it to bedroom. save.

Now, I need help getting Comcast to do this. Since they didn’t' think of it themselves.  This is the best answer. Correct.? Who do I go to.?