Community Forum

Fear The Walking Dead Closed Captions are NOT displaying correctly

This board is for questions about accessibility features (Video Description, Closed Captioning, Video guidance, etc.) for people with disabilities.
Problem Solver

Fear The Walking Dead Closed Captions are NOT displaying correctly

There is some kind of technical glitch with the closed captions on multiple on-demand episodes of AMC's Fear The Walking Dead, and captions are not being displayed correctly.  Some lines are displayed correctly, and then the next line seems as if it is being painted on the screen one character at a time, one frame at a time in very rapid succession., at the end of the previous line.

Problem Solver

Re: Fear The Walking Dead Closed Captions are NOT displaying correctly

Some additional information:

This problem is specific to on-demand episodes viewed with a cable box.  When these episodes are viewed on the Xfinity Stream platform, the captions display normally.

This problem applies only to the post-3-day versions of the episodes.  Episodes in the L+3 window are displaying captions normally.

Official Employee

Hi Tcalg, thank you for reaching here on our community forums and I understand you are having issues with the Fear The Walking Dead subtitles via Video on Demand.  Could you please give me some example episodes this is happening on currently?

Thank you 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Problem Solver

I have observed this behavior on all three episodes of season 5 so far.  It was a bigger problem with episode 1, and seems less of an issue with episode 3.

As I said in my previous post, the problem is specific to the post-three-day versions of the episode-- the versions that are posted several days after the original airdate, and remain on demand for weeks or months.  When I originally watched episode 3, it was a couple days after the original airdate, and I was watching the L+3 version of the episode-- the version of the episode which is posted  a few hours after the original airing, and is only available on demand for a few days.  That version of the episode did not have the same problems with the captioniong.  Now that the post-3-day version has replaced the L+3 version, I am seeing the same problems with episode 3.

Official Employee

Thank you for your reply, so from I understand it is the video on demand that follows the newly aired episode.  I have checked episode 3 and now 4  and not showing any captions out of the ordinary.  If it is still happening on your side could you please give me episode number and time markers it is happening on?

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Problem Solver

Just to be clear, the problem is not with the video which immediately follows the airing.  The problem is with the second video, the one which replaces the first video on demand several days after the airing.

I am not seeing this problem with episode 4.  However, it appears that the video for episode 4 is still the same video that was posted immediately after airing.  It hasn't been changed.

If you look specifically at season 5, episode 1 approximately 1:50 into the episode...

MAX: Louder than when Dad's barbecue exploded.

Look very carefully at the period at the end of that line.  You may notice a series of letters flash onto the screen very fast  in the same character cell as that period.  Those letters are Dylan's next line, "Annie said there was a crowd of growlers nearby." Dylan's line never appears captioned on screen.

At approximately 2:40...

DYLAN:  They heard us. Wee

MAX: in time.

Dylan's line is actually "They heard us.", followed by Max's reply, "We can get it out of here in time."  But we only see "Wee" in the captioning, and the rest of Max's reply goes uncaptioned, except for "in time.".

At approximately 3:55...

MAX: We gotta k.

Caption appears several seconds before Max actually says, "We gotta keep moving.".

Those are just the first examples I came across before the first commercial break in episode 1.

Official Employee

We'll have to get a ticket opened to have our higher level fix agency take a closer look at the issue. We open these tickets against your account, for followup and contact purposes. So we can open the ticket for you, please reach out to me via private message and include your full name so I can access your account.

Problem Solver

I've sent my account information via private message.

I just got done watching the movie Animal House, also on AMC on demand.  That movie had the same kind of closed captioning problems.  The movie is scheduled to expire on Sunday night, so anyone wanting to check it out for themselves will have to hurry.

New Poster

My wife and I tried watching the recording of the British Grand Prix Practice 3 session. I guess whatever algorithm is in use currently doesn’t like a British accent. CC was all but non-existent for much of the broadcast, lagging for 15+ seconds and apparently giving up at that point. A few seconds later it will try again to no effect. Just awful.
Official Employee

Thank you for the update. I appreciate you providing me those details so I can pass along to my content team. We are still working with them on this issue and I sent over the one about the British Grand Prix Practice. I will update you as soon as I hear back. Enjoy the rest of your Saturday!