Community Forum

Closed Captioning

This board is for questions about accessibility features (Video Description, Closed Captioning, Video guidance, etc.) for people with disabilities.
New Poster

Closed Captioning

How can I get closed captioning to ONLY display when I hit the MUTE button? I have a Samsung HDTV and a Sony HDTV, both connected to Comcast HDTV boxed with HDMI cables. No matter what solution I try that is posted in the forums or on the Comcast support page all I can get is either closed captioing on ALL the time, or NEVER on. Very frustrating! One solution says to turn on both the TV and the cable box, then turn the cable box off and use the Comcast remote to go to the menu. Well, when I turn the cable box off the Comcast remote no longer works, and there is NO "menu" button on the cable box. Is there no solution to this? I just want closed captioning when I mute the TV volume ONLY.

New Poster

Re: Closed Captioning

How do I get the closed captioning funtion to ONLY come on when I hit mute? No matter what posted solution I try, I can only get the closed captioning to appear ALL the time, or NEVER.

I have HDTV's, Sony and Samsung, with Comcast HDTV boxes, both connected with HDMI cables. No matter how I change the settings the closed captioning is either ALWAYS on, or NEVER comes on. Very annoying! I ONLY want to have the closed captioning when I hit the MUTE button. Is this not possible?

Official Employee

You would have to physically turn on/off closed captioning, there's no setting to make it automatic.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I understand that I have to manually press the mute button to cancel the sound, but is there ANY way to set up the TV and the Comcast cable box to bring up the closed captioning ONLY when I press the mute button.  It seems like that should be possible. It is possible when you use the mute button on the TV remote, but when you go through the Comcast cable box the only choice you have is to either have closed captioning ALWAYS on, or NEVER on!  Is it possible to have the closed captioning ONLY come on when you press the mute button on the Comcast remote control? Yes or No?  And if Yes, how do you do it?

New Poster

Before we upgraded to X1, we were able to select the mute button on our remote and the closed captioning would automatically start (this happened when using the digital adapter on our 2nd TV).  After adding the new adapter on the 2nd TV when we upgraded to the new X1 box, we have not been able to simply mute the TV and have closed captioning begin. Is there a way to change the set-up to accomplish this and avoid the multiple steps required to both mute and turn on closed captioning? 

Official Employee

Sorry no there isn't.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

These are some of the worst answers I've ever seen.  Simply to say there is no way to fix a closed caption problem is stupid.  By the way my TV started captioning all sound out of the blue.  I know this is wrong and that there must be a way to fix it  Too bad, expenisve infiinity service hasn't the capability to do this.

New Poster

This is the WORST.  How can it not be illegal for Xfinity to deny us easy access to CC via their remote?  Doesn’t this violate Title IX?  I am a very unhappy customer. My last remote from Comcast had a button right on the remote. Easy peasie. What happened and how do I get CC to work? Don’t tell me I have to do it through my tv when it’s your remote that is at fault. 

Contributor

To turn CC on or off your press the Square B button on your Xfinity remote which will bring up the controls for the CC