U

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Tue, Nov 30, 2021 8:33 PM

Closed

VERY POOR ETHERNET CONNECTION

Hoping I can find some guidance here instead of directly for xfinity as I am starting to feel I am being played..I was recently upgrading to the 600mb speed however, I cannot even get 150mbs connected through Ethernet. I have spent days researching all problems with my laptop and nothing. It is not on my end yet, xfinity claims it is. I had the 200mbs plan then everyone got an extra 100 mbs which brings the speed to 300mbs once I upgraded my old modem I discovered I was not even close to getting the speed. I was sent the new xb7 modem (white one) still, no difference in speed and I tried another laptop and the speed is the same a neighbor plugges his laptop into my Ethernet and guess? still slow as [EDIT].  xfinity claimed it was my pc, I switched the Ethernet cable to a cat8, moved the modem closer and higher up and still the Ethernet is slow as [EDIT]. wifi on my iphone and ipad is getting around 450 - 520 mbs which is good, but my pc only has 2 GHz (ordered a new dual band with 5 GHz), but I need the wired speed of 500 or better not wifi. Anyone have any ideas? tech is coming out Friday Dec. 3. Again, nothing is wrong with my laptop, Bios updated, drivers updated, new coaxial cable, new Ethernet cable as well.

EDIT: Please keep your posts clean. Our forums have an automated profanity filter to block out inappropriate language. Please do not circumvent it by finding colorful ways to approximate or disguise those words. If you are caught trying to bypass the filters in any way, your posting privileges may be revoked. Xfinity Forum Acceptable Use Policy

MNtundraRET

Expert

• 

5.1K Messages

8 m ago

You never mentioned the brand, model, or age of your laptop.

If it only handles 2.4 Ghz, it may not handle the speed.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

8 m ago

I did not need to mention the brand, name or year, as I stated in my post I am having poor connection via Ethernet. I am aware of the 2.4 GHz, that applies to wifi speed not Ethernet. I also stated in my post I ordered a new wifi card that supports 2.4 and 5.0Ghz dual band, but that should not affect a hard wired (LAN) connection. Do you have any suggestions on LAN not wifi?

XfinityAnna

Official Employee

• 

650 Messages

Thank you for reaching out over Xfinity Forums @user_9ea840. This certainly sounds like a unique situation. I am sorry you have been experiencing ongoing problems. I appreciate the details you have provided. Those details will truly help everyone narrow down a cause. It is odd you have been getting good WiFi on the phone and iPad but not through the laptop connected via ethernet. That really tells us we are pushing good speed through the line to the modem. Do you use any device between the modem and your connected laptop (router, mesh system, splitter)?

I am glad to hear you have an appointment with a technician. I would be happy to investigate further from my end. Can you send us a private message with your full name, name of account holder (if different) and service address? To send a private message, please click the chat icon next to the bell in the upper right corner. Click the “notepad and pen” button. Send the full message to our shared support handle “Xfinity Support”. We look forward to hearing from you. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
EG

Expert

• 

95.1K Messages

@user_9ea840

It may have some bearing on ethernet speeds too as usually an older PC with only a 2.4 GHz WiFi doesn't have much ethernet horsepower either. 

That said. Does the laptop's network adapter (NIC) have a 10/100/1000 (gigabit) ethernet capable port ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here