tsxn26's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Sun, Dec 13, 2020 9:00 PM

Unstable connection only on Zoom and Google Meetings calls

Ny two roommates and I are having stability problems on our Zoom and Google Meeting calls. The calls are freezing off and on the whole time. It doesn't matter that video is turned off. We all connect through wifi. I'm literally 10 ft from the router.

The issue only started happening after we deactivated our old service and then activated or new service. Before we had a 600mbps plan. Now we have a 1000mbps plan that includes an updated router.

All other uses of the internet are fine, including 4k streaming. No one is doing that during work hours though.

What could be the issue that's only affecting Zoom and Google Meeting calls?

Responses

EG

Expert

• 

87.2K Messages

6 m ago

For a test, does a computer / device hardwired directly to the router / gateway device with an ethernet cable have the same problem ?

With this test, we are trying to isolate this from being either a WiFi-only problem or a problem with the general connection to the Comcast system which would of course affect both. It's a good first step of troubleshooting before we proceed any further.

strega7

Regular Contributor

• 

393 Messages

6 m ago

In my case it was wi-fi so since the spring, I've plugged in and haven't had a single issue.  Last week while helping someone with her own wi-fi issue (via phone) I unplugged my laptop so I could see my wi-fi connection so I could help her through the wi-fi menu on her computer.  Eventually, we got her back up and on zoom, and then it froze up – only this time – it was me, because I hadn't plugged the ethernet back in!

Regular Visitor

• 

1 Message

6 m ago

None of our devices have an ethernet port. Although, I am connected to a WiFi extender that's connected to the router using an ethernet cable. The router is 10 ft or less away from the extender. My roommates are connected to the router directly using WiFi. They are having the same issue with only Zoom and Google Meetups.

strega7

Regular Contributor

• 

393 Messages

6 m ago

You can get a USB to ethernet adapter for about $15.  I bought mine on Amazon.

New to the Community?

Start Here