Micmann's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

Sat, Jan 30, 2021 9:00 AM

Re: Modem keeps dropping

Having the same issue.  Hoped on the forum and saw this current thread so I'm piggy backing onto it.

Been a Comcast/Xfinity customer from before they existed.  I for a long long time I have never had any internet connection issues, could actually boast about reliability…..until recently.  A couple months ago it started once a week on Sundays at about 2 am.  Internet connection would drop and then return anywhere from 5-30 minutes later.  Fine by me as I was not using the internet at that time and Comcast was probably doing system work.  Then it started happening randomly different days.  Now it’s happening several days a week at random times and sometimes more than once a day, sometimes back to back.  It drops for 1-30 minutes.  Sometimes I need to power cycle the modem and sometimes it restores on its own.  I could be patient and live with it for a little bit to see if Comcast was working to remedy a situation in the area.  But it has been happening for some time now and only getting worse.  Twice this morning already.  Goes without saying during this pandemic time this is not acceptable.  I, like everyone else, need internet to be reliable.

Attached are the latest copies of modem reports and status.  Every day shows similar.  There are repeated critical errors.  Can a Comcast Rep or someone in the know look and tell me if something screams out an issue?  If it’s my modem I’ll accept that and replace it.  If something screams wiring issues, I can fix that too.  I’m a licensed electrician and put food on my table installing RG6 and a host of other wires.  I understand cabling, terminations, quality splitters etc.  I do not feel the issue is in house cabling, but will never say it definitely is not.  Surprises do happen.  Currently the line enters the house and immediately hits a splitter to separate tv and internet.  18” From this splitter it goes directly to the cable modem which I own.  All cable ends are quality press fit terminations. 

The led’s on the modem show when it drops in cannot channel lock.  When connection does return, modem reports show it takes a little while for upstream channels to lock.

Any constructive help would be most appreciated.  Thanks.

8 Attachments

Responses

EG

Expert

• 

87.2K Messages

5 m ago

The signal stats are o/k but the error log entries indicate that something is going on. Perhaps there is noise ingress into the line(s) somewhere.

There are other signal stat figures that can't be read by the modem. They are the "Upstream Rx Power" (Upstream Receive Power Level), the "Upstream SNR Ch." (Upstream Signal To Noise Ratio), and the "Upstream ICFR" (In Channel Frequency Response). These are as equally important in diagnosing connectivity issues as are the modem's stats.

I'm going to escalate your issue to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards. They will be able to poll the CMTS to see whether or not everything is in the green zone, see your node / cable plant and modem health, and also see a history plot for the modem. You should get a reply here in your topic. Good luck !

EG

Expert

• 

87.2K Messages

5 m ago

My pleasure !

Micmann

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

5 m ago

Eg:

Thanks for taking the time to push this up the chain.

EG

Expert

• 

87.2K Messages

5 m ago

Concern split out into its own new topic here on this board. Click on the above link to follow it.
ComcastAmir

Official Employee

• 

6.3K Messages

5 m ago

Hello Micmann, thank you for reaching out to us with this concern. It sounds like you've been through a lot with trying to get this problem resolved. Please allow me the opportunity to make this right for you! To get the ball rolling could you please send me a private message by clicking on my name (ComcastAmir) then click "Send a Message" and provide your full name and street address. 

Micmann

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

5 m ago

Sent a PM this moning.

Micmann

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

5 m ago

Just to update thread beacause when I'm loking for solution I hate threads that cliff drop with no follow through to an answer or what happened.

Sent PM to ComcastAmir as requested but didn't hear back.  On 1/31 I had two modem drops in the same day.  Modem log on 1/31 shows strings of Critical Errors, Warnings and Notices.  Same log entries as what was happening most days for weeks.  However, since then no issue.  This is the first full week in a long long time with no modem connection drop.  And no modem log errors since 1/31.  Perhaps Comcast resolved something on their end??.  TIme will tell.  I'll definitly report back if it drops again.

EG

Expert

• 

87.2K Messages

5 m ago

Thanks for the feedback. Post again if the issue returns and I will attempt to re-escalate this. Good luck !

New to the Community?

Start Here