P

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

Sat, Jul 24, 2021 4:05 AM

New to Comcast/XFi and cannot get anything but Apple devices to connect

I’ve spent at least 12 hrs and a 26 mi. drive the last 3 days trying to get smart devices in my new home to connect to XFi. I’m IT/network savvy and have set up many routers directly via the admin interface. I finally called XFinity for help today after trying all my own as well as online “fixes”. They said the newest XB7 router is the problem. So off to the closest store I went and exchanged for an XB6. Speed is the same so that was a relief, but still no connection for 12 Feit smart bulbs and an IPC360 camera. All Apple devices and a DLink camera joined right up. I’ve turned off the 5Ghz radio, turned off the firewall, turned off Advanced Security, rebooted and reset all devices (Feit bulbs are all brand new). What am I missing? Thanks in advance. Mike

Responses

Official Employee

• 

133 Messages

2 m ago

First off, thank you for taking the time to reach out and welcome to the Comcast family. That's definitely not the experience we want you to have. What happens when you try to connect non-Apple devices? Do you get any error codes or messages? 

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

2 m ago

Most of the non Apple devices just time out. “Network not found”. I installed Blink cameras today from Amazon just fine. I noticed that the XB7 and the XB6 are 802.11 g/n only on 2.4ghz. (I was told the XB6 was b/g/n - not true)  Many 3rd party devices require the 802.11 b/g/n protocol on the 2.4ghz band. I can’t choose b/g/n in the XFi 2.4ghz config setup. It’s not there. Can it not be added to config? I’m betting the router can provide it.

Official Employee

• 

133 Messages

No it should definitely be able to be configured. The only thing I can think of is maybe there is an issue with the firewall settings of the modem that's blocking the other devices for whatever reason. Have you had a chance to log into the modem and check the Firewall settings at all?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
EG

Expert

• 

89.2K Messages

@XfinityAntoine Perhaps it would help if you could share to check for what exactly ???

(edited)

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

Yes, I’ve looked at the firewall settings. Jibberish  to me but I turned off the firewall for a short while and no change. Still not connecting

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

331 Messages

@user_914f53 On the Admin Tool homepage, click Gateway.

1. Under Gateway, click Firewall.
  2. From there, you can choose IPv4 or IPv6.
  3. After choosing either, you will see the following options:
    • Maximum Security (High), which will block most applications except web browsing, email, iTunes and VPN.
    • Typical Security (Medium), which allows access to most sites and services, but blocks all peer-to-peer applications.
    • Minimum Security (Low), which enables all secure apps. This is the default setting when you first use your Wireless Gateway.
    • Custom Security, which will allow you to block individual types of traffic, or disable your firewall entirely.
  4. Select the firewall setting you want.
  5. Click Save Settings.
    • Note: A firewall can be set up on both your computer and your Xfinity Gateway, but more than one firewall can cause interference. 

Since most other devices are connecting have you check the documentation that came with Fiet for known issues connecting their devices?

• The general rule of thumb is the newer the protocol, the greater the capability and speed. For 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, "a" is the oldest, and "ac" is the most recent, with "ax" (also called "WiFi 6") coming soon as the latest protocol in the standard.
  • These protocols are available in Comcast gateways and provide compatibility for older devices that require b or g. New protocols such as n/ac provide the best performance, supporting both 2.4 and 5 GHz radios.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

Thanks Thomas for the firewall info. I’m familiar with all the protocols except the new one “ax”, Thx. I’ve turned the firewalls off completely and still no connect. Had a call from Feit Tech and they ran me through the usual that I’d already tried. I believe Feit’s devices require 802.11b/g on 2.4 which the XB 6&7 routers don’t provide. So I plugged a 15yr old Linksys WRT54G (the old blue Linksys workhorse) into my XB6 and the Feit bulbs connected to it instantly. It has the old b/g protocol as well as UPnP and NAT which I had to turn On. I’ll just run Ol Blue for Feit’s new bulbs with old network protocol requirements as well as an older webcam with same non-connect to XFi XB routers. 

New to the Community?

Start Here