MikeMikeM's profile

Contributor

• 

30 Messages

Fri, Jul 29, 2022 12:48 PM

how do I disable the Hidden Network beacons that are broadcast from this XB8 ?

I noticed there are Hidden Network beacons being broadcast from this XB8.

Even after I disable the 3 network bands in the gateway's admin settings, (2.4GHz - 5GHz - 6GHz), there are still beacons being broadcast that omit any network name.

"Hidden Networks" that's often called.

There's no way in the XB8 gateway to turn off the radios.  There's no way to stop it from broadcasting those beacons.

The only way to stop it is to unplug the XB8.

After googling this, I found a half dozen threads on reddit that also complain about it, with XB8, XB7, maybe even earlier Xfinity gateways.

It's undocumented, surreptitious, raises security concerns, and it's just plain creepy.

I've already spent 5+ hours with online Xfinity Chat agents, with voice-phone Tech Support agents, and escalated to Supervisors.

It just goes in circles and I'm really beginning to fume.

If I can't get some info what this Hidden Network beacon monkey business is about, and how to stop it, I'm just going to shipcan this XB8 and ship it back.

NoNoBadPuppy

Contributor

• 

399 Messages

11 d ago

I find it the height of hubris when a person sitting at a desk reading a script off the screen tries to tell me something that is just not true.  I try to be as calm and as patient as possible, but when someone says something that even they know is a lie, it is time for civility to stop.  The reps you get at entry have no clue what they are talking about.  They can do the basic things...ask if you retarted your modem, have you check all the connections, etc. Beyond that, they are useless. 

Visitor

• 

11 Messages

10 d ago

Why not return ALL xfinity gear and buy a modem and router if you don't already have one? If you use your own gear it won't transmit anything you don't want it to.  Be sure to get a cable modem that is approved for Comcast/Xfinity.   For what Xfinity wanted for monthly rental I was able to buy a modem from Best Buy that will be paid for in 7 months using the Xfinity modem monthly rent that I didn't have to pay. It's worked perfectly, no Xfinity support required. It'll do wonders for your blood pressure ;-)

I used the Xfinity app on my phone to install the new cable modem. It was painless, took about 15 minutes total. If you buy a new cable modem just connect power and coax, let all the lights come on and DON'T DO ANYTHING. My upload and download lights flickered for a good 5 minutes. I left it alone a few minutes longer then unplugged, waited about 30 seconds and plugged the modem back in. Use the Xfinity app to enter requested MAC information and anything else requested. Once done there I power cycled the cable modem again then ran an ethernet cable from the cable modem to the WAN port on the router. Done.

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here