U

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, October 29th, 2022 12:47 AM

Activate extra Modem

Hi, 

I have my main Xfinity Modem/Router set up in the living room, some devices are connected through Ethernet in the living room. Now I have other devices in the bedroom that I would like to set up with an Ethernet connection. I thought I could set up an extra Modem in the bedroom as I have coaxial cable extension that reaches in the bedroom. Can I activate that personal Modem for this purpose? Or what are my options?

Note: there is no Ethernet connection in the bedroom

Accepted Solution

EG

Expert

• 

97.7K Messages

3 months ago

@user_2ee7b2 

If you have coax cable / a coax outlet in that bedroom then another option for you would be to use MoCA adapters. MoCA is basically ethernet over coax cable. You can Google "MoCA" for more info.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@EG​ Thank you. I did get a MoCA adapter and was able to establish the Ethernet connection in the room. The only extra step I had to do was to modify the router configuration to allow the MoCA connection. Thank you for your suggestion!

Official Employee

• 

465 Messages

3 months ago

Hello @user_2ee7b2! Thanks so much for taking a moment out of your day to leave a post on our community forum. This is a great question! You are only allowed one active modem on your account for your set of services, so you would have to connect the bedroom devices that you want hard connected to the modem directly. You would have to either have an extra long ethernet cable or have an outlet installed in your room for the coaxial setup, but then would still only be allowed one modem, and you would have to move the modem into your room at that point. Please let me know if that has answered your concern, I just want to make sure you get taken care of.

EG

Expert

• 

97.7K Messages

3 months ago

Quite welcome ! Enjoy ! 😊

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here