dastaggs's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

1 Message

Tue, Jan 21, 2020 4:00 PM

Dropping Xfinity Connect texting March 2020

So, when you get too embarrassed , you just drop services, huh?

Pathetic.

Responses

sophierb

Regular Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 y ago

Texting should not be eliminated, it's part of what we pay for. I use it more than email.

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

2 y ago

I had posted a reference to the dropping of this text service on their Facebook page! They got the message! Hermmm. I am not moving to a cell plan yet! I abstained this long! I swear they want to add this text service as a different teir! I know they provide a cell service too... I guess they think that abandoning whom has already signed up for a two year plan , esp if that was a perk originally!! Then there is that fine print.... ! Well exuse me, I'd say! We hold the dollar you get! And another thing, remeber those DTA outlets? They were like $2 rental not they are flipping $6 an outlet for CHRIMNEY's Sake! .... I get it nothing is free.... Ugh.....

mpastene

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

2 y ago

I did find this about comcast number portability (2nd and 3rd to last bullet):

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/local-number-portability

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

2 y ago

Any recommendations for alternate VoIP + SMS providers to switch to?

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

2 y ago

Google voice

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

2 y ago

Thank you.

conflatia

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

2 y ago

Good question.  I'd recommend that you choose your cell phone carrier (or call more than one and then pick one), and ask them if your former VOIP (Comcast) number can be ported over to be your new cell phone number. I got my cell phone when T-mobile vendors were at Costco one day. It was free. I still have it, and like T-mobile.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

2 y ago

I know each channel has a plus that's not in bundle. Amc premium. Sundance tv channel is in the bundle but all the good shows is extra the Sundance movie channel. It use to not be this way.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

2 y ago

Are we going to be able to text on our cell phones and not our landline

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

2 y ago

If it's going away with no word on what its being replaced with, I wish I knew of a more convinent way. Maybe a free texting app? I use wifi only coms. Each of us has different usage habits. There is no need for cell service where I am at due to the Xfinity connect hotspots! Cool thanks for that 😉

I wish they were upfront of where the text messaging feature is going. Is it being integrated with another feature?? I think they are doing this to have to get us to switch over to the cell plan to pay extra for the convenient cell service they NOW offer ! HUGE STEP BACKWARD I THINK Heh....

I used the text service very little but its handy for verification numbers when signing up for some sites. This is also needed for two factor autentication. This could force me into a cell service wich I been avoidning for years... Still might just face the consequence of backwards innovation....

TerriB

Contributor

• 

3K Messages

2 y ago

This is truly a terrible loss of a valued feature . I have been a loyal customer for over 30 yrs. I  happen to have Xfinity Mobile cell service and Comcast digital landline but the numbers are different and thats the way it needs to be and I should not have to change that to accomodate this texting change.  I am retired and not tied to my cell so don't  keep it on when at home and to have to turn it on just to send a text is just ludicrous when all I have had to do was go to texting on xfinity.com on my desktop which is on all day. I just did it this morning to text my husband's cell. Its so convenient and losing it is just so unfair. Its part of Xfinity connect so why remove it? Surely it does not cost Comcast to have this feature for its customers. I was stunned to find out it will be gone in March and there is no acceptable  explanation given in the announcement. This is not the first valued feature that has been removed from the platform and yet the cost continues to go up. NOT HAPPY

TerriB

Contributor

• 

3K Messages

2 y ago

@conflatia wrote:

Good question.  I'd recommend that you choose your cell phone carrier (or call more than one and then pick one), and ask them if your former VOIP (Comcast) number can be ported over to be your new cell phone number. I got my cell phone when T-mobile vendors were at Costco one day. It was free. I still have it, and like T-mobile.

Just wanted to chime in that we have Xfinity Mobile and  Comcast digital voice landline and  Comcast  landline is NOT VOIP and we sure don't want to have the same number for cell and landline for oh so many reasons.

TerriB

Contributor

• 

3K Messages

2 y ago

@TiredRetired wrote:

So exactly what does this mean?  What is Xfinity Connect texting and how does it differ from standard text messaging.  

I can text from my computer with the feature and don't have to turn on my cell phone just to send a text. Its been so convenient and useful. The texting feature is an icon on  the top of the email page.

TerriB

Contributor

• 

3K Messages

2 y ago

@maxlechat wrote:

I received your notification that as of March, 2020, texting will not longer be available. I expect the elimination of a service will be accompanied by a reduction in my monthly fees. Correct?

Yep....just like all the reductions when they removed some of the premium movie channels and some cable channels. I did see a change in charges....They increased my modem rental last month.

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

2 y ago

Totally agree.  I have a disabled son that I utilize texting with his driver.  Comcast still charges same amount with eliminating services that were on contract.  What a racquet!,,,,,,,,,,,,,

New to the Community?

Start Here