U

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Mon, Mar 29, 2021 8:52 PM

Closed

Connect App retirement / No Email on iPhone

With the announcement that Xfinity will be retiring the Connect app, I followed the Comcast provided links to switch my email access over to the native iPhone Apple Mail app.  Following the provided instructions, I:

• Enabled Third Party Access Security under Comcast email settings.
  • Followed instructions for setting up email on an iPhone.

Comcast suggests using IMAP protocol over POP, for reasons outlined in their instructions, but there is never an IMAP/POP option presented.  Instead, the account is automatically created as a POP.  So, I attempted to manually change the Incoming Mail Server Name to imap.comcast.net and the Port Number to 993 per the documentation.  This does not work; the iPhone error message says “Cannot Get Mail.  The mail server “imap.comcast.net” is not responding.  Verify that you have entered the correct account info in Mail settings.”

2+ hours with Comcast support yielded, “contact Apple…”  Anybody have suggestions?

Official Employee

• 

479 Messages

1 y ago

Hi user_robert!

First make sure you can log in to view mail on connect.xfinty.com.  This will ensure your username and password are being accepted on our end.

On your phone, I would suggest starting from scratch... try deleting the Mail app from your iPhone (hold down on the icon and choose "Delete."  Then, download it again from the App store.

Once you have it downloaded, open it up and choose "Other" from the bottom of the "Welcome to Mail" screen.  

On the following screen, enter your Name, full @comcast.net e-mail address, password, and provide a description for the account.  When you click Next, Apple will auto-configure the server settings to use our IMAP servers.

If you don't see e-mail immediately in your inbox, swipe down to force a refresh.   It may take a few minutes for e-mail to download if you have a lot of messages.

If you receive an error message, let us know here and I or another expert may be able to help!

Visitor

• 

1 Message

This doesn’t work, it says the IMAP server “ imap.Comcast.net” doesn’t support password authentication.

604chief

Frequent Visitor

• 

19 Messages

@ComcastBecker if I use my iPhone mail app, wil I loose all my emails from the web? like when I use a browser to  sign on my email will my emails still be there even though I opened the mail on my phone?

ex: I’d like to  heck and read email from my iPhone email app and still be able to use a computer to check and re-read emails. 

(edited)

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@ComcastBecker  This is to Comcast, or whatever you're calling yourselves. A large portion of your subscribers are going to be non-technical or elderly who will not understand  the -edited- you posted above. I am quite literate in computers & I am confused. You had better fix this so it is not so cumbersome, or you are going to lose a LOT of customers!

(edited)

XfinityEva

Official Employee

• 

480 Messages

Thank you @user_a34ed0 this is a known issue and you can resolve this by navigating to XC settings>security>click enable 3rd party access. I've included a link https://comca.st/3xdO8iF to guide you step-by-step. If you are still have any trouble please let us know. 
I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

1 y ago

Becker,

I can access my email via the Connect app, that's never been a problem.  So as you suggested, I deleted the iPhone Mail app and reloaded fresh from the App Store.  Created a new account as usual using the "Other" designation, entered all the info, clicked Next....same result.  It's automatically created as a POP account, Port 995, and it's proceeds to download emails from the server.  It was at this point I was proceeding to tell you Comcast keeps telling me IMAP should work and it doesn't, but....

After once again deleting another created POP account, for kicks I decided to try once again manually changing the Incoming Mail Server Name and Port to IMAP settings.  But when I created a new account again, it still never game me a choice to choose POP or IMAP, it instead just created the account as an IMAP, Port 993.  Why?  I have no idea.  Nothing different was done, it just decided to work.  This probably will be of no use to anyone as the cause/solution will remain a mystery. 

I've wasted far too much time on this issue, but I thank you for taking the time to respond and offer your help.

snowbi-wan

Frequent Visitor

• 

16 Messages

1 y ago

I would still like a good explanation as to why we are losing our app after all these years. There is no good reason for it other than Comcast trying to save money. 

Official Employee

• 

479 Messages

1 y ago

user_robert:

What happens when you attempt to set up the account again from scratch (using the "Other" designation) but then input a bogus password on the setup screen?  Does it then go to a screen that allows you to manually configure using IMAP?

(edited)

Visitor

• 

1 Message

I have been with this company for 28+ years. I have had this email forever. I called in for support and they did even know the app went away. I got no help both times I called. This is a major flop on this company. I would get an email asap. In the play store. Terri 

rylan

Contributor

• 

56 Messages

1 y ago

Its pathetic that Comcast is getting rid of their email app.  Every other major service has an app to use for email, but apparently Comcast can't be bothered.  So instead they want us to use a browser interface that is even slower and clunkier... while they keep raising rates.  Time to switch to another provider.

Frequent Visitor

• 

11 Messages

1 y ago

Today it’s official. Worst decision Comcast ever made. I prepped myself by bookmarking connect via a browser, and set it up through Apple mail.

they just be out of their minds. NONE of this works as seamlessly as the connect app. I honestly can’t imagine where they are coming from to make this sunset decision because as a consumer, it was IMPERATIVE to have this app. Everything, emails ive deleted for months/years, are appearing in my “Apple” mail app. I did not WANT to use my Apple mail app to access my email, I want XFINITY CONNECT!! If you can’t manage to auto delete an email from the server, what are you doing? WHY would 1000s of emails populate my “Apple mail” app when I’ve been using xfin connect for years and am very thorough about cleaning my inbox 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️
i’m sure you’ll have some excuse about not being associated with whatever whatever mail app we have to use because connect is gone, but it’s not gonna be a good enough answer. This was an absolutely ludicrous decision and as a consumer I just want to say  

Frequent Visitor

• 

11 Messages

That was supposed to say they *must* be out of their minds.

and since my final statement was cut off, I’d like to add that “as a consumer I just want to say” that it doesn’t appear as though the consumer is what is most important here. We consumers seem to want this app. It’s almost like you have no idea how obnoxious checking Comcast email is with an external app or browser. It’s an incredible inconvenience and I have a feeling that many of your own employees feel the same way.

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here