billmich88888's profile

Contributor

• 

453 Messages

Sun, Aug 1, 2021 2:56 PM

X1 box randomly records events on cloud instead of DVR.....

Which is disappointing, in that the sound is downgraded to 2.0 from 5.1, the FF and REW functions are not as smooth, and often times the picture isn't as sharp.

What trouble shooting steps can I do?  The most frustrating issue is that it is random, sometimes it's DVR, other times cloud. 

I have triple checked every conceivable connection to make sure they are secure and tight to the box, to the wall, and at any distribution points in the basement

I have a relatively empty DVR (only 30% full)

Swap out a new RF cable from the wall to the box? swap out a new DVR box?

What else?

Thank you for your time and attention

Responses

Contributor

• 

453 Messages

2 m ago

I also wanted to point out that doing a "Sync DVR" did not appear to affect anything at all. It's still random 24 hours later

Rustyben

Expert

• 

24.1K Messages

@billmich88888 sync DVR is for requesting a newly just-installed DVR be programmed by the cloud based head-end. the normal overnight reboot does this function automatically.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick
andyross

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7K Messages

2 m ago

Is this on the same channel, or does it depend on the channel? IP channels will ONLY record to the cloud. These are typically channels that are ONLY available in the 1000+ numbers.

Contributor

• 

453 Messages

@andyross  excellent question, my channels recorded are ALWAYS under channel 1000, and are never IPTV channels

Official Employee

• 

131 Messages

Hello, @billmich88888 Welcome to our Xfinity Forum support page and thank you for posting your question here! That is definitely very strange that your recordings are randomly going to the cloud. Are these affected recordings being scheduled to record directly from your X1 cable box or the Stream app? What troubleshooting steps have you attempted so far? 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

453 Messages

@XfinityAlisha  this is always being programmed right on the DVR itself - or a different box in the house - never the app.

For future reference, if I schedule it via the app, is it always only a cloud recording???? - I tried this later on and i did a stream app recording and it was retrieved on the DVR, not the cloud

My trouble shooting has been setting the recordings from different boxes in the house -  recording different cannels at different times of day

any other hint and tips I should do?

(edited)

tbill1

Contributor

• 

405 Messages

As you probably know, a cloud recording usually means something went awry when recording and it defaulted to the cloud. But... I have recorded games

that were DVR and when I went to play back the rest of the game in the morning , it did it's delayed loading, which would tell me it was going to the cloud. What I have done is try to record something for a couple of seconds to see if it would be a successful DVR rec. (don't know if this is really necessary).  Then I go back to the cloud recording and do a start from the beginning, and usually it turns back to a dvr recording.

(edited)

Rustyben

Expert

• 

24.1K Messages

2 m ago

were you using the actual DVR connected TV when this happened or another non-DVR set top box connected TV?

Contributor

• 

453 Messages

@Rustyben 

BOTH

I started out with ONLY setting via DVR, got the random results,  then moved on to setting at a non-DVR box, continued to get the random results.

Tell me why it may make a difference as to which box I set the recording on

andyross

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7K Messages

I have an XG1v4, and never have issues with random Cloud recordings. Everything is set up on the DVR directly. The only time I get cloud recordings is if it's an IP channel, or there is some sort of interruption during the recording, like a power or signal outage. I have found that it can get confused a bit if I try to start playing a recording almost as soon as it starts recording, or if it automatically returns to the recording list screen and I start playing a recording that finished while watching another. Usually, just stopping the playback and starting again fixes it.

Rustyben

Expert

• 

24.1K Messages

@billmich88888 the non-DVR x1 boxes have to have a viable connection with a DVR to play back in-home recordings. failing that viable connection, the non-DVR goes to the cloud and plays that recording.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Contributor

• 

453 Messages

@andyross  a good and informative post, thank you

Contributor

• 

453 Messages

@Rustyben 

i appreciate the detail about the inter-connectivity between boxes. 

so going back to original question - any troubleshooting hint or tips? - 

lets just focus on that I set on the DVR, and attempting to watch on the same dvr box (limiting variables here)

(edited)

New to the Community?

Start Here