Rousing Repartee
Crafty Conversation
Well Liked

Regular Contributor

• 

400 Messages

Mon, Dec 7, 2020 7:00 AM

New "IP Channels"

About 16 months ago, a few channels got added to my system that I later found out were "IP Channels". These channels would not show up on my cable card devices, and on the X1 boxes, seemed to take a tad longer than usual to tune in.

Yesterday I noticed that if I record a program from off one of these channels (for instance in my area FS2 HD and Pac-12 Network HD are both 'IP Channels') - the recordings are automatically cloud-based, and not actually on the DVR - as confirmed by the little cloud icon during the playback. Concurrent recording of something on ESPN showed that recording as 'regular/non-cloud' by the same method.

As I am hearing that more and more channels are going to be moving to this "IP Channel" model, I am curious if this will always be the case.

The video quality is not nearly as sharp when it is from off the cloud, and the sound is limited to 2.0. I much prefer 5.1 surround sound when available. 

Just curious is any of the experts or possibly employees that monitor this board have any comments or statements about this.

Responses

jwmccnn

Valued Contributor

• 

234 Messages

5 m ago

I've noticed this too while watching a recording from the DIY channel, since it got upgraded to HD a few months ago.  Also wondering why these recordings go directly to the cloud DVR???

andyross

Silver Problem Solver

• 

6.8K Messages

5 m ago

Physical DVR's can only record QAM channels. All IP channels only record to the cloud. It's a bandwidth thing as you wouldn't want up to 6 IP feeds trying to be sent to your box for recording.

Official Employee

• 

343 Messages

5 m ago

@billmich88888 Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us regarding our cloud Dvr services and functions. I do recommend reviewing the following link which may address your questions and concerns regarding the cloud tv programming and cloud dvr services combined.Should you have any further questions or concerns we are always happy to assist you at any time here please feel free to reach back out.  https://comca.st/3gzvAkU;

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!tick
jwmccnn

Valued Contributor

• 

234 Messages

5 m ago

I have read the article in the link provided by the Comcast employee.  The article does nothing to address the original question, which seems to have been answered by quite well by "@andyross".  The original question asks why IP channels only record to the Cloud and not the physical DVR, the linked article from 3 years ago tells about accessing all recordings on the go via the app, not what this question was about.  It's too bad that actual Comcast employees can't straightforwardly answer simple questions.

Regular Contributor

• 

400 Messages

5 m ago

@jwmccnn wrote:

I have read the article in the link provided by the Comcast employee.  The article does nothing to address the original question, which seems to have been answered by quite well by "@andyross".  The original question asks why IP channels only record to the Cloud and not the physical DVR, the linked article from 3 years ago tells about accessing all recordings on the go via the app, not what this question was about.  It's too bad that actual Comcast employees can't straightforwardly answer simple questions.

Thank you for the response - you are correct the link doesn't provide any answers to my question - 

Now I am wondering, does accessing "IP Channels" go against any data caps? (I'm thinking not, but who knows?)

Are any IP channels available in 5.1 surround sound "LIVE"? - we know that cloud based recordings are capped at 2.0 sound

andyross

Silver Problem Solver

• 

6.8K Messages

5 m ago

@billmich88888 wrote:

@jwmccnn wrote:

Thank you for the response - you are correct the link doesn't provide any answers to my question - 

Now I am wondering, does accessing "IP Channels" go against any data caps? (I'm thinking not, but who knows?)

Are any IP channels available in 5.1 surround sound "LIVE"? - we know that cloud based recordings are capped at 2.0 sound

IP channels do NOT count against your data cap. Only X1 apps that have an "INTERNET" tag will count.

From what I've seen, many IP channels are DD+ 5.1. You may need to enable Expert Audio in HDMI audio settings on your X1 box. IP channel recordings are typically reduced to DD 2.0, though, just like any cloud recording.

Regular Contributor

• 

400 Messages

5 m ago

@andyross wrote:

Physical DVR's can only record QAM channels. All IP channels only record to the cloud. It's a bandwidth thing as you wouldn't want up to 6 IP feeds trying to be sent to your box for recording.

thank you for the reply - why wouldn't I want 6 IP channels coming to my DVR for recording, what would be the issue compared to 6 QAM channels?

andyross

Silver Problem Solver

• 

6.8K Messages

5 m ago

@billmich88888 wrote:

@andyross wrote:

thank you for the reply - why wouldn't I want 6 IP channels coming to my DVR for recording, what would be the issue compared to 6 QAM channels?

Again, it's total bandwidth. Streaming 6 channels would be a heavy load, plus then multiply that by the number of people on your node, plus regular Internet users, and it would overload the node. By being cloud-only recording, there is zero impact on bandwidth during recording as it all occurs on local servers.

Regular Contributor

• 

400 Messages

5 m ago

thank you, I will have to check in on that - 

they need to make the cloud recordings 5.1 - no question about it

Regular Contributor

• 

400 Messages

5 m ago

@andyross wrote:

@billmich88888 wrote:

@jwmccnn wrote:

IP channels do NOT count against your data cap. Only X1 apps that have an "INTERNET" tag will count.

From what I've seen, many IP channels are DD+ 5.1. You may need to enable Expert Audio in HDMI audio settings on your X1 box. IP channel recordings are typically reduced to DD 2.0, though, just like any cloud recording.

I DID CHECK THINGS out and I am getting 5.1 on the IP channels - those are in DOLBY DIGITAL "PLUS" when the box is in 'expert mode", just regular DD when in the standard 5.1 mode - alas, if 

if I ever want to capture something from these channels in the surround sound, I will have to record it as it happens on the Home theater PC because all playback from the cloud is only 2.0

New to the Community?

Start Here