TennFire's profile

Contributor

• 

33 Messages

Thu, Jan 7, 2021 9:00 AM

Many missing channels - TIVO user in Nashville

Spoiler
I access Comcast TIVO.  We get standard definition, high definition and premium channels in our package.

Over the last few weeks (during which we are also having internet connection and speed problems), we are noticing that several channels, mainly HD channels such as rebroadcasts of local network channels, are just "black".   Sometimes I get a message that it is searching for a signal.  This seems to be a recurring and intermitten problems but it happens daily.

I have tried to contact Comcast by Chat (over 3 hours the last time) to get the "black" or missing channels working.  Some channels will tune in but they become distorted particularly if there is a lot of screen movement.

The Comcast techs on chat have been less than helpful.  They want to send resets, have me change channels and repeatedly unplugg and restart the TIVO.  They did send out a new MCard and had me install that and pair it.   However, none of the "scripted" steps have resolved ANY of the problems.

I don't believe its a TIVO issue.  I think its a problem either a) with Comcast account configuration (we actually get messages that HD versions of channels like TNT are "not authorized" but the SD versions seem to work as expected) b) a problem with signal quality or strength.

Is there a number for a "upper level" tech department or are there techs on this forum who can actually diagnose and address these problems?  Are there others on this forum who have had similar problems and got them resolved - and if so do you know what the problem was?

Responses

XfinityJoeB

Official Employee

• 

6.9K Messages

8 m ago

Hello TennFire. We appreciate you visiting and posting on our Forums. I can assist with troubleshooting your TIVO CableCard missing channels issue. To get started, please send me a private message and include your full name sand service address, so I can access your equipment. To send me a private message: click my username (ComcastJoeTru) to view my profile, then click the link that says "Send a message" and there you can compose a private message. 

TennFire

Contributor

• 

33 Messages

8 m ago

[also sent by private message with account details]

I have been trying to get this resolved for 2 months and feel like nothing is being accomplished particularly with "chat" and calls to what I consider "level 1" techs. I hope this is different.

We do not use any Comcast equipment other than an MCard - just one.  We use a TIVO Roamio as a tuner.  We have a Motorola 8300 modem that is on Docis 3.1

Over the last six months we have had recurring problems with HD channels (those above 1000) either giving just a black screen or saying channel unavailable (not unauthorized but unavailable).  In every instance, we can get the SD channel alternative and we can stream it through ROKU. 

For example, Channel 1237 Sportsman HD and also the Smithsonian HD channel are 2 that we are having this problem with.  These are two of the more recent disappearances.  Others that we don't often watch are also subject to this and quite a few channels in the 1750-1799 range are missing.

I have probably had 10-12 chats with online techs - nothing was resolved.  All they could do is send refresh signals and have me unplug and hard reboot the equipment.  Really just a huge waste of time. One of them in December thought it might be a problem with our MCard so they sent a new one, it was installed and paired but it did not fix anything.

I finally was scheduled by one of the chat techs to get a callback from some special department.  I did get that call this past week.  He was helpful - far more than the chat techs - but did not resolve issue.  He had me go through cable card diagnostics to check signal strength on various channels.  Those were within specs according to him but the missing channels would not even be brought up when manually keyed into diagnostics.  Instead, it would go to the next higher channel.   He said he thought the problem was likely in the account programming but that he wanted to send onsite techs out first to check signal strength.  He scheduled that for Friday 1/15.  On Friday, 2 separate techs came out.  One was in a plain van and only tested the signal at the box on the side of the house.  He said it was fine and that we would have to call Comcast to ask for an in-house tech.  About an hour later, a Comcast van pulled in the driveway and seemed unaware the other guy had been there.  This second tech brought some equipment in the house and tested the signal at the cable which connects directly to the TIVO.  He said signal was within the acceptable range although maybe on the low end because of older cables in the house.   Anyhow, he also said since it was specific channels that were in our plan that it was most likely a programming issue for comcast that another department would handle.  he said he would submit his report that the signal was good and that it required programming and that the problem should be fixed by noon on 1/16.  It was not.

I called back to tech as he instructed on Sunday 1/17 to report that channels still missing.  After about 2 hours on chat with 4 different people, I was told that it would be escalated to another department and that i would get a call from them within 30 minutes or so.  That was Sunday night and as of now, Tuesday morning, still no call.

We have used TIVO equipment for many years and have had this issue in the past.  It was always that something was wrong on the comcast side regarding the authorization or provisioning of channels to the MCard - always.  This problem was never resolved with refresh, reboots, hard boots, or tech visits to check signal strength.  It has always been someone at Comcast who finally reset or corrected something in the account settings regarding channels that were being authorized or sent to the MCard.

I have probably wasted 10+ hours messing with this and had to take off work early to be home for scheduled appointments.  I hope you can fix it or get it to someone who can.

XfinityJoeB

Official Employee

• 

6.9K Messages

8 m ago

Apologies your issue remains unresolved. I can certainly understand your frustration, as we continue to troubleshoot and attempt to identify the root cause of your missing channels issue. I will do all I can to ensure we get this resolved for you. I will need to gain access to your account to begin. Please send me a private message and include your full name and service address, so I can access your account. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 m ago

I am having the same problem with Comcast/Xfinity Seattle.  The lady I spoke with says that they are changing the format (she called it switching to IT).  The new format isn’t compatible with TiVo.  They are planning to do the same thing with a bunch of channels.  It looks like My TiVo may become obsolete soon as competing carriers in the area don’t work with it either.

New to the Community?

Start Here