CS2010's profile

Contributor

• 

153 Messages

Sun, Nov 28, 2021 6:06 PM

Closed

Xb3 Modem Tel 1 AND Tel 2 had solid lights on this morning

I have an XB3 gateway and this morning noticed that both Tel 1 and Tel 2 lights were solid, indicating 2 phone lines in use. However - I ONLY HAVE ONE PHONE?! I restarted modem and only one light was on.  How do I check how /why that 2nd phone line light was on?

Official Employee

• 

302 Messages

2 m ago

Hey there, did you have multiple cords plugged into the gateway?

CS2010

Contributor

• 

153 Messages

2 m ago

No, I only have one telephone line. How could someone have accessed the gateway to make the Tel 2 light glow solid? It must have been through an internet connection to the wifi-gateway? I don't believe there was any physical way they could've connected to this mystery 2nd phone line. 

(edited)

XfinityRay

Official Employee

• 

420 Messages

The telephone line can only be accessed by plugging a phone cord into the back of your modem. Did you get a call waiting call while you were on the phone?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
CS2010

Contributor

• 

153 Messages

2 m ago

No I did not receive a call waiting call. 

CS2010

Contributor

• 

153 Messages

2 m ago

I checked my call history and I show a call was blocked at that time. Could the modem be showing an incoming blocked call? 

Official Employee

• 

536 Messages

@CS2010 it's definitely possible but I have honestly never worked with any customers who have noticed that type of activity. I have Xfinity Voice service as well, but I have an XB6 modem, so I have not experienced this. It's also possible the modem was updating. The best thing you can do is continue to keep an eye on your modem and subscription. It seems like you pay close attention to details! 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
CS2010

Contributor

• 

153 Messages

The Blocked Call was definitely at the time I saw the Tel2 light showing up. It was a call from the City of Seattle Parks and Recreation Survey (888) 421-2677 but was listed in my Call history as "800 service" and blocked as "Low Spam Risk". Maybe the City of Seattle has a special line to my phone since they are the ones who set up the contract with Comcast to give Comcast rights to provide service to my neighborhood. No other company apparently wants to provide service here for cable internet =/.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

301 Messages

CS2010, you mentioned it was the second time this occurred. By checking your history was the first time it occurred a blocked call as well?

CS2010

Contributor

• 

153 Messages

2 m ago

Just happened again this evening around 7:45pm....!! 12/4/2021  My phone didn't ring. Last call on call history is 12/3/2021....=/, so it wasn't call blocking this time. Again, unplugging  / restarting gateway made it go away....but it is starting to creep me out. Any other possible solutions? Looking at my settings on Xfinity only thing odd I notice is settings for 2.5ghz wifi were slightly changed. 5ghz wifi was set to "Channel 36" instead of "Auto" and 2.5 ghz wifi was set to a different wifi mode from n, ac. The lights for wifi are ALWAYS  flashing as active even though I have mobile hotspot turned off and no mobile/wifi-capable devices connected or on. I was told this is because it is a Cisco Model DPC3941T DOCSIS 3.0 24x4 Wireless Residential Voice Gateway.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

135 Messages

Please keep in mind that having the light turn on does not mean that it is in use as the modem or gateway regularly updates to make sure that all ports are working properly. Please also keep in mind that there is no way for anyone to access your modem through the phone line if there is no line connected to line 2. You are the only one with access to it as you have the phone in your home. I understand that you are concerned about your security, however, I have the same modem as you, and have noticed the same thing, however, I check my call history daily and do not see any issues with the device, the calls, the blocked list or the service itself. I also have a lot of security in my home for the internet. The line is solid may mean that the gateway is updating its ports and verifying if anything is connected to those ports. If it does not detect anything, it will turn off or go solid meaning that the port can be used, however, unless you have something connected to it, there won't be an issue with it as nothing can go through a VOIP port. 

CS2010

Contributor

• 

153 Messages

Thank you for your comment. 

Official Employee

• 

135 Messages

You are very welcome. If you do have any other issues in the future, please feel free to create a post. We are always here to assist you. 

New to the Community?

Start Here