JJMcVeigh's profile

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

Wed, Dec 9, 2020 7:00 AM

What is the interaction, if any, between Comcast Spam Filtering and an Individually Created Filter?

I used to get email messages from a particular source without incident.  Within the past several months, the Comcast spam filter has decided that messages from this source are spam.  I have repeatedly logged into Comcast webmail and marked the messages from that source as Not Spam.  The Comcast Spam Filter has not yet taken the hint.

In the past, I have created filters so that messages from certain sources would automatically be routed to the Spam folder.  The thought occurs to me that perhaps doing the opposite would be a way to get around Comcast's (in this instance) overly zealous and stubborn Spam Filter. 

In other words, I would create a filter with the condition:

Sender/From    Contains    <Edited>

where <Edited> is the email address of the source that is sending *desired* (i.e., non-spam) messages to me.

The filter would have the Action:

Move to folder    Select folder    Inbox

Would this filter, if I create it, prevent Comcast's Spam Filter from moving to the Spam fiolder messages from someone whose email address includes <Edited>

============

I see, at this page, the following:

Email Safe List

The Email Safe List, found under Settings > Advanced Settings in Xfinity Connect, lets you list the only email addresses from which you want to receive emails.

• Note: If you use this feature, you will only receive messages from the addresses you specify. Messages from other addresses not included on the list will be rejected.

If I read the above correctly, activating the Email Safe List function is a sledgehammer approach.  It results in extreme whitelisting.... only messages from previously approved sources will reach my In box.  That is not the result that I would want.  Rather, I would like to be able to instruct Comcast once not to treat mail from a particular source as spam, and I would like to have Comcast pay attention to that instruction the first time that I issue it, without affecting the treatment of messages from other sources.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or comments.

Responses

Accepted Solution

BruceW

Gold Problem Solver

• 

22.4K Messages

6 m ago

@JJMcVeigh wrote: ... The thought occurs to me that perhaps doing the opposite would be a way to get around Comcast's (in this instance) overly zealous and stubborn Spam Filter. ...

That won't work. Filters only operate on mail delivered to the Inbox. When Comcast delivers mail to the Spam folder, filters never see it.

Your understanding of the Safe List is correct: it can't help you either.

However, https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Email-Web-Browsing/Address-Book-Exemption/m-p/3368877#M220644 should help you.

JJMcVeigh

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

6 m ago

@BruceW wrote:

@JJMcVeigh wrote: ... The thought occurs to me that perhaps doing the opposite would be a way to get around Comcast's (in this instance) overly zealous and stubborn Spam Filter. ...

That won't work. Filters only operate on mail delivered to the Inbox. When Comcast delivers mail to the Spam folder, filters never see it.

Your understanding of the Safe List is correct: it can't help you either.

However, https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Email-Web-Browsing/Address-Book-Exemption/m-p/3368877#M220644 should help you.

Thank you very much for your prompt and comprehensive reply.  I will try the suggestion, which appears at the page whose link you have provided, to add to my webmail-portal address book the email address of the source of the desired email messages.

New to the Community?

Start Here