TerriB's profile

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

Fri, Jun 17, 2022 1:16 PM

Closed

Is there a way to duplicate my Outlook 2016 folders in webmail in Xfinity connect?

I use Safe PST to backup my Outlook 2016 .pst files every day. I had a big issue with content of a folder and its subfolders disappearing  and their support team 'took over' my pc and worked on the problem.  They do it so fast its hard to keep up but they did something and opened up my Xfinity webmail and the folder they were restoring to Outlook 2016 from a backup  showed as a folder in Xfinity webmail. I knew I could make new folders in webmail but when that folder showed up I wondered how he did that but I was so excited to get the folder and its content back in Outlook 2016 I forgot to ask how it showed up in Xfinity webmail. Is there a way to import my Outlook 2016 folders and their content into Xfinity connect webmail? Thanks

Accepted Solution

BruceW

Gold Problem Solver

• 

24K Messages

3 m ago

... Is there a way to import my Outlook 2016 folders and their content into Xfinity connect webmail? ...

Are you quite sure that Outlook is configured to use IMAP? If it is then your folders should sync automatically in both directions. But if Outlook is set up with POP3 the only folder it will "see" is Inbox.

Note that @XfinityKimberlyB gave you POP3 instructions in one post, but IMAP instructions in the other.

... Its really annoying to get email notification of a reply and its not visible to me ...

Sadly, this is just one of the annoyances that came along when Comcast switched its Forum provider from Lithium/Khoros to "Sprinklr" in March last year. Forum Administrator @XfinityJessie has posted:

... the forum will automatically privatize any post that either has some type of guideline violation or has images attached. Images are typically approved by our team within 24-48 hours after being posted ...

See https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/getting-started/disappearing-forum-posts/606894c37437b81d05b7b638?commentId=606b25cb322c887da0f3c0a2. Unfortunately "Community Mailer" notifications are sent even if the post they refer to has been "privatized". The system should hold off sending these for a "privatized" post until such time, if any, that the "private" status is removed.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.
TerriB

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

@BruceW​ Hey there Bruce,

My Outlook 2016 is 100% set up as IMAP. I remember clearly years ago when we were TOLD to change it to IMAP by Comcast but don't really remember why. The inbox/sent/deleted sync in both directions but not my personal folders. 

I read what you sent about privatizing. Of course I didn't violate any posting guidelines nor did I attach any images....something is rotten...lol. 

I did notice the two sets of instructions and have decided not to pursue this any longer.  God forbid something gets messed up. There is only one folder I REALLY need to access in Comcast Connect and even more important to be able to access in Outlook for mobile on my phone and tablet (which are also set up as IMAP). So I am taking the manual route. I am forwarding the  messages  to myself from the folder that I really have to be able to access and when they hit Connect I made a new folder and moved them there. It really isn't that much of a chore and I realized that I have so many folders with so much stuff in them that I don't need to be synced or accessed except on the desktop. If I need to add a message to that folder that I initiate or receive in the future I will do so manually. I thought there might be an easy way but seems not so easy. Oh well. Take care my friend.

UPDATE: The lightbulb came on as to why my Outlook 2016 folders are not all syncing with Connect. Somehow way back whenever I ended up with two sets of folders/data files. One is titled with my comcast email id. The other is  titled 'Personal Folders' and thats where all my folders exist including 'inbox/sent/delete/drafts/outbox' that appear under my comcast.net folders . The ones in the comcast.net set do in fact sync but the ones other than those I just mentioned do not sync because they do not appear under my comcast.net set of folders. I know it sounds  strange and thankfully I keep good notes in email . I got a new pc with Win 10 in 2016 . I  installed Office with Outlook 2016  and had to change to IMAP and I recall it vividly because I could not figure out how I ended up with two inbox/sent/deleted/outbox folders but I have gotten used to the anomaly.  So thats my story and I'm stickin to it.

(edited)

Latoque

Expert

• 

29.2K Messages

3 m ago

I don't have Outlook, but I do use Thunderbird, and I can copy any folder I want from one account to another by dragging and dropping it.  It copies it without deleting or moving the original.  I would think Outlook can do the same thing?  I checked and the folder shows up in the webmail too.  The accounts I have in Thunderbird are all enabled using IMAP .

(edited)

TerriB

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

@Latoque​ Shucks...I tried to drag and drop.  It looked like it was going to work but nothing happened. I made a new Outlook folder called test folder to try it out. I dragged it to the existing generic Xfinity folder list and also tried to 'my folders' but nope.  Sure sounded like a really easy way to do it though. Glad it works for Thunderbird!

Official Employee

• 

468 Messages

Here is what I did find @TerriB

Start Outlook Express from the Quick Launch toolbar or by double-clicking the icon on your desktop.

Select Tools from the top menu of Outlook Express, and then choose Accounts... from the dropdown list.

Select the Mail tab from the top of the Internet Accounts window, and select your Comcast email account, then click Properties.

In the Mail window, select the General tab.

Next, enter the following:

Mail account field - enter a descriptive name such as Comcast Mail.

User Information - enter the name you would like displayed in your outgoing email messages.

Organization field - skip this field.

Email Address field - enter your full https://comca.st/3y3QyTy email address but leave the Reply Address field blank.

Select the Servers tab from the top and enter the following:

POP3 into the My Incoming Mail Server field.

https://comca.st/3y3muHz in the Incoming Mail (POP3) field.

https://comca.st/3Qz6owP in the Outgoing Mail (SMTP) field.

Under Incoming Mail Server, enter your Xfinity ID in the Account Name field (the first half of your Comcast email address), then enter your password in the Password field.

Check Remember Password if you want Outlook Express to save your password.

Under Outgoing Mail Server, check My Server Requires Authentication, then click Settings.

On the Outgoing Mail Server settings page, select Use same settings as my incoming mail server, and then click OK.

Select the Advanced tab at the top and enter the following and then click OK:

465 in the Outgoing mail (SMTP) field and check This server requires a secure connection (SSL).

995 in the Incoming mail (POP3) field and check This server requires a secure connection (SSL).

Select Close, then start using Outlook Express.

You may also need to Turn Your Access to Third Party Email Programs On/Off in Xfinity Connect. You can visit https://comca.st/3Qu8WfB for more information. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
TerriB

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

Thanks but I don't use Outlook Express. I use  Outlook 2016  client which is part of MS Office. It mirrors Comcast Connect webmail except for the folders. My mail is Comcast IMAP. They changed it from POP3 years ago. I just wanted to duplicate some of my folders and their content in Comcast Connect email program.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

468 Messages

I do believe I have found something here. 

1. Open Outlook 2013 or Outlook 2016.
  2. Click the File menu.
  3. Click the Account Settings button, then select Account Settings…
  4. Click New…
  5. Select the E-mail Account radio button, then click Next.
  6. Select Manual setup or additional server types and click Next.
  7. Select POP or IMAP. Click Next.
  8. Enter your name into the Your Name: field and your full email address into the E-mail Address: field (including the @comcast.net portion of your email address).
  9. Select IMAP in the Account Type: field.
  10. Enter https://comca.st/39ED07C into the Incoming mail server: field.
  11. Enter https://comca.st/3HE7140 into the Outgoing mail server (SMTP): field.
  12. Confirm your Xfinity ID has automatically been entered into the User Name: field.
  13. Enter your password into the Password: field.
  14. Click More Settings…
  15. Click the Outgoing Server tab.
  16. Click the check-box for My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication.
  17. Confirm the radio button for Use same settings as my incoming mail server is selected. Then click the Advanced tab.
  18. Enter 993 in the Incoming server (IMAP): field.
  19. Select SSL from the drop-down box for Use the following type of encrypted connection:.
  20. Enter 587 in the Outgoing server (SMTP): field.
  21. Select TLS from the drop-down box for Use the following type of encrypted connection:.
  22. Click OK.
  23. Click Next. Outlook will perform a test of the account settings.
  24. Click Close when the test completes.
  25. Click Finish.
  26. Click Close.

I did see step number 17 here. Please do confirm the radio button for Use same settings as my incoming mail server is selected. Then click the Advanced tab. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
BruceW

Gold Problem Solver

• 

24K Messages

3 m ago

https://comca.st/3y3muHz in the Incoming Mail (POP3) field.

https://comca.st/3Qz6owP in the Outgoing Mail (SMTP) field.

Once again, the Forum's URL shorteners have turned useful information into complete gibberish.

"https://comca.st/3y3muHz in the Incoming Mail (POP3) field" means "mail.comcast.net in the Incoming Mail (POP3) field.".

"https://comca.st/3Qz6owP in the Outgoing Mail (SMTP) field" means "smtp.comcast.net in the Outgoing Mail (SMTP) field."

Note that https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email suggests using "pop3.comcast.net" rather than "mail.comcast.net" for POP3 access.

Again

Expert

• 

27.9K Messages

3 m ago

@TerriB 

I use Thunderbird with IMAP settings.  In Thunderbird I had added several folders in my @comcast.net account, most of which have been in existence for over a year.  These folders show up in Connect, too, but I had to scroll down to see them.  If you have other accounts in Outlook that you want to move over to Connect, or at least show up in Connect, you would need to add the account in Connect first, and make sure your other accounts are IMAP, and the folders should show up in Connect.

TerriB

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

@Again​ Another member who has Thunderbird can drag and drop those folders into Comcast connect email and I tried but nope. My comcast.net IMAP account is what I use in Outlook 2016 and I see all incoming/deleted/junk/sent messages in both Outlook and Comcast connect mail and they sync. I am confused as to what I would do to have other Outlook folders  show up in Connect.  I don't need them all duplicated but there are some I really would like to be able to see in Connect when I can't get to Outlook like when I am away from home and use another computer or use Outlook for Mobile (which also syncs to Comcast connect email  and Outlook 2016 ) .

Again

Expert

• 

27.9K Messages

@TerriB​ So you don't see them if you scroll down?  Or, are they "nested" perhaps with an arrow showing sideways instead of down?

My extra folders are listed under My Folders.

Are yours not listed under there?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick
TerriB

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

Nope,  my Outlook 2016 folders (dozens of them) are not under 'my folders' in Connect. There is only one there and its one I created in Connect. 

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here