B

Visitor

• 

14 Messages

Thu, Sep 9, 2021 2:27 AM

peacock

I don't mind signing up for Flex in order to get access to Peacock.  However, I would not use the Flex equipment because I will access Peacock on Roku, on my PC, on my phone.  Is it possible to sign up for Flex without taking delivery of the actual Flex hardware? 

Accepted Solution

andyross

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.1K Messages

2 m ago

I think you still need to receive the hardware, but you don't have to use it. Just keep it on the side and don't lose it as you will need to return it if you ever cancel your service.

Accepted Solution

BruceW

Gold Problem Solver

• 

23K Messages

2 m ago

You may need to connect and power up the Flex box every few weeks to avoid getting "return this unused equipment" messages.

Accepted Solution

Visitor

• 

14 Messages

1 m ago

Thank you for the comments.  They are useful and helpful.  After I received the Flex box I discovered it was more than the legacy "cable set top box".  It turned out to be a capable Roku equivalent device.  It connects to WiFi for input and outputs on an HDMI port.  Thus, it plugs into the TV set integrating with ease not only to the TV set but also WiFi.  The Flex box remote control is a voice capable RF wireless device, not the legacy IR based remote control.  The only difference in the Flex box hardware I found compared to the Roku box was as follows.  With my Roku I am able to "cast" content from my Android phone to the TV set.  By "content" I mean not only video, from say YouTube, but also mirror the Android screen  during Apps e.g. Excel operation.  The Android phone (Android Version 11 software) implements this by recognizing the Roku box using Android's "Smart View" mode.  The Flex box does not have such an interface.  That is, the Flex box does not show up at all in the "Smart View" mode as a device to choose to cast content to.  Thus, the Flex box will not connect to Android.  Presumable the Flex box will only connect to WiFi for NBC/Comcast controlled content.  That is a huge, seemingly limitless content though, just as Roku has.  And, like Roku, the Flex box provides a gateway to all the paid streaming services.  The Flex box in addition gives the Xfinity customer free access to Peacock Premium.  Thus, for example, the Xfinity customer has access to football not available on network over the air TV.

New to the Community?

Start Here