Ichuckles1's profile

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

Thu, Dec 17, 2020 7:00 PM

Local channel changed, new one is insufficient

We were recent.y changed from the local Orlando ABC affiliate of WFTV to the local Tampa ABC affiliate of WFTS.  However, we live near Orlando, not Tampa. The new local station weather map doesn't even go far enough outside Tampa to show our house in their forecasts or radar.  Since the new station is insufficient to cover us, and the network programming is, at best, 5 hours per day, I would like to request we be changed from WFTS back to WFTV.

thank you.

Responses

Accepted Solution

drhull

Problem Solver

• 

308 Messages

6 m ago

The country is carved up by what's known as Nielsen designated marketing areas.

You were changed likely because you weren't receiving the station you should be. While you might prefer having Orlando to Tampa stations, that really isn't up to you or Comcast. They're largely at the mercy of whatever your area is assigned.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

6 m ago

I agree, Comcast has been moving channels from Orlando based to Tampa! Why? We live in the Orlando area not Tampa! This makes no sense and neither does the reply that was posted by Comcast!!

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

6 m ago

Nielsen's don't matter.  If there was a severe weather alert, like a tornado, in our area, the new station wouldn't warn is.  We are not in their market at all.  And if it were due to some apparently random Nielsen map, why did we have the Orlando station so long?  This must be changed.  It is a safety issue for us.

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

6 m ago

I'm what seems like solely a money saving move by Comcast, since the change jeopardizes my family's safety (please see above comment about severe weather coverage), if the channel is not changed back, I will have no choice but to cut off my tv and phone service with Comcast entirely.

thanks. 

drhull

Problem Solver

• 

308 Messages

6 m ago

They do matter. You can disagree with the decisions, but if you live in a certain county, that determines whether you receive Tampa or Orlando stations.

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

6 m ago

If my county determines the channel, then why is it just changing now?  My county has not changed, and if the Nielsen's determine what channel we see in this county, I would think that would have happened years ago?  When was the Nielsen carving done?

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

3 m ago

Also, if the county I live in determines which local channel I see, and this is not political or monetary, then why dos the new channel NOT list my county as part of the test when a required weekly test of the Emergency Broadcast System, but my old local station did?

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

3 m ago

If you are using the Nielsens rather than location to determine programming you need to change the process, because this makes no sense at all ! I also agree that this is a safety issue.

I live in Orlando/Kissimmee, I am over 60 miles from Tampa and do not want or need their channels!!!

mnw

Frequent Visitor

• 

21 Messages

3 m ago

The same issue recently happened in the Boston Area. I live in a MA county which is assigned to the Providence market. We were on the verge of losing our Boston ABC station which in these days of COVID would have cut us off from important information relevant to MA. We would be stuck with info from RI which is not important to us. Thanks to our Senators and Congress representatives writing to Comcast and to Hearst TV, the Boston ABC station is still on Comcast where I live.

New to the Community?

Start Here