New to the Community? Start here.
Hi pollyayu, thank you for bringing this to our attention, I would want to get a technician back out and install a house box for these wires. I will send you a private message for further information.
Please see http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Non-X1-Service/Spanish-Audio-No-Audio-DVS-SAP-Secondary-Audio-Program/m...
Thanks for your note. Let me elaborate a little - My plan is to test the signal at the comcast junction box where the cable run to my home begins, then test the signal where the long cable run hits the grounding block and enters my house, and again at the distribution panel and after the amplifiers, etc., as well as at the room nodes where I'm either experiencing a signal, or not getting one. I just need to learn which signals to test.
It would be great to have a Comcast tech out to do all that, but they don't have the time to troubleshoot my structured wiring setup, and I couldn't afford to pay them if they did.
So, could you give me some tips about which tests to perform that would be most diagnostic, in terms of signal strength and signal quality? I understand that I would need to test several frequencies, but it's not necessary to test them all, is it, in order to determine that I'm getting decent signal strength and quality all the way through the wiring system to a room node?
Anyway, I'd appreciate any tips you or anyone could offer in helping me learn which tests to run.
That is a great answer @andyross, and thank you for the details. @ckb3 I am sure this information will resolve your issue, if you need any further help I can assist you or you can click on this link https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/x1-modify-the-recording-time-of-a-program/?currentTopicId=9... and it will walk you through step by step.
It works now!
First I'll give the concice trouble shooting steps and results and then, so most people can ignore it, I'll post a second response with my feedback to Comcast on the experience.
(for brevity I'm skipping a bunch of non-working tests and only listing where progress was made)
Tech came out and immediately tested the line quality using the cable plugged into the TiVo. His reading was "6." (I don't know the ranges on his meter so the value is not really relevant or relatable to me). He said the working values should be between -8 and +8.
Then he installed another new cableCARD and called his technician technical support line. Then he got to exactly the point I was originally stuck at with low (basic cable/local) channels working but no pay channels or "enhanced" cable channels. (I.e. Yes CBS, NBC, etc. No: TNT, SyFy, BBCA. No: HBO or STARZ)
At this point (though he didn't check, I did) The "Conditional Access" screen for the Motorola card showed:
Con: Yes EBCP: Yes Val: V 0x05
Tech's tech support phone buddy got stumped and transfered us to the CableCARD support line where we talked to Andy.
(Tangent: Andy was awesome in ways I'll highlight in the blow-by-blow in the next post).
Andy did everything he could and finally suggested a 3-way call with TiVo.
<<Fast forward some drama with TiVo>>
John, a supervisor in TiVo support, had us check the Conditional Access screen and at this point the values were:
Con: Yes EBCP: Yes Val: V 0x05
John said this indicates missing authentication packets. He had us go to the TiVo Diagnostics screen to read off some values.
Modulation: QAM 256
SNR: 43 dBm
With this information he informed us that the signal was too strong (!) and said that the Signal value only goes to 100% and in his experience if it reads 100% then the tuner is being overloaded. The correct values for the SNR are from 29 to 35 dBm and can go as high as 40 dBm. He asked the local technician to lower the signal. He also suggested we unplug the TiVo while the tech installed the attenuators.
Sadly, at this point John somehow got disconnected.
After the TiVo rebooted I checked the SNR again and it still seemed to read 43 dBm.
At this point the tech's supervisor called to ask why he was taking so long. Explained the problem and she asked for the same cableCARD ID, HostID, and Data that every cableCard tech had asked for. Then she said she "repushed the activation" and everything started working.
So, I'm not sure which thing fixed the problem. Either the TiVo tech was correct and the attenuation was needed or the tech's supervisor did something locally that none of the national cableCARD folks were able to do.
Not a satisfying closure and clear problem but at least everything is working again.
You are probably in an area that has upgraded to MPEG4. I have noticed occasional issues with some channel with the 15-sec review not actually going back. I've seen it mostly on Syfy and BBC America as I watch alot on them, but it probably also happens on other channels. It seems to most often happen if I use the 30-sec skip too rapidly together, causing it to lose track of where it just was.