online now

discussions

wireless router/ cable phone modem

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 3 (1,522 Views)

wireless router/ cable phone modem

I went to set up my inlaws wireless router and halfway thru it says it detects a static (fixed) ip address.

They have the cable/phone modem.  How do i find out what the static ip address is, or if there is a way around it.  I tryd the rebooting the modem cause thats what i did with mine but it still came up the same.  (i have a reg cable modem)

Any help with be greatly appreciated

2 REPLIES
Posted by
Email Expert

Message 2 of 3 (1,520 Views)

Re: wireless router/ cable phone modem

Comcast doesn't assign static addresses, I don't know what would cause a router to say this.

The only difference between regular cable modems and EMTAs (phone modems) is that unplugging the power cord doesn't reboot the EMTA, because it has a battery backup. You need to press the Reset switch on the back; it's probably recessed and you need to use a pin to press it.

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 3 of 3 (1,517 Views)

Re: wireless router/ cable phone modem

loreleim2006 wrote:

I went to set up my inlaws wireless router and halfway thru it says it detects a static (fixed) ip address.

They have the cable/phone modem.  How do i find out what the static ip address is, or if there is a way around it.  I tryd the rebooting the modem cause thats what i did with mine but it still came up the same.  (i have a reg cable modem)

Any help with be greatly appreciated

If the Wireless router has a Static IP address then you can depress the reset switch on the back of the Router to take it back to its factory defaults which would erase the Static IP.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you! I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.To learn more about XFINITY Forum Expert program click here.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Did this post help? Why not give it a kudo!!!Kudos Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you! I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.To learn more about XFINITY Forum Expert program click here.
Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. Expert Program