Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

orbi with wireless boxes

Regular Visitor

orbi with wireless boxes

Hello,

I am considering buying the Orbi wireless router system to be able to extend my wireless network. Can I have my provided router/modem combo switched to bridged mode even if I have several wireless cable boxes in my home? how would that work?

Expert

Re: orbi with wireless boxes

I recently installed the Orbi.  I put my XB3 Comcast gateway in bridge mode.  Then I had to change all my wifi devices to use the Orbi SSID and password.  I also am using a wireless printer connected to the Orbi.  I had already installed an 8-port gigabit switch for all my ethernet connections and all I had to do was to move a single ethernet cable from the XB3 to the Orbi.

Good luck; I had to buy two Sattelites to get complete coverage for all my wifi devices.

Regular Visitor

Do you have any of the wireless cable boxes as part of your service? Im trying to figure out if putting the XB3 into bride mode will affect the wireless cable boxes.

Official Employee

mld5077734 wrote:

Do you have any of the wireless cable boxes as part of your service? Im trying to figure out if putting the XB3 into bride mode will affect the wireless cable boxes.

Yes it will, the Xi5 uses the 5GHZ band

Regular Visitor

So if I am understanding correctly, the Xi5 can only recieve its signal from the XB3 and not from an aftermarket router? The orbi is tri band, one of those being 5 ghz. Basically there is no way to turn off the wireless from the XB3 (bridge mode) to allow the Orbi to handle the network. Im trying to avoid a double NAT and port forwarding issues.

New Poster

Hi mld5077734.  Did you get your setup working so you can use both the Orbi and the Xi5?  I am in the same boat and am looking for a solution.

Thanks.

Regular Visitor

So you didn't need any MOCA adapters in the set-up? I thought I read in another thread that this was the issue with Orbi and using your own router. I currently use a Netgear CM400 modem with Orbi router...and LOVE it. I was hoping to add wireless STBs for TV so your post gives me hope.