Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

my wifi network name changed

Regular Visitor

my wifi network name changed

I got an email this morning from xfinity telling me my wife network name had changed...I didnt change it...so it get home and have to configure all my devices to the new name and password..what gives?

Expert

Re: my wifi network name changed

abatten0599 wrote:

I got an email this morning from xfinity telling me my wife network name had changed...I didnt change it...so it get home and have to configure all my devices to the new name and password..what gives?

You probably got a speed upgrade and your gateway had to be rebooted.  I assume your SSID/passwords were not the defaults that came with the gateway.

Expert

RobertWy wrote:

You probably got a speed upgrade and your gateway had to be rebooted.  I assume your SSID/passwords were not the defaults that came with the gateway.

FWIW, a powercycle / reboot operation of the gateway device (whether done remotely by them or locally by an end user) should not result in a network name (SSID) or a network key (Wifi security password) change to default values. Only a full reset to factory defaults will. Perhaps it was fully reset although that is not needed in order for the device to get a new boot-file loaded in.

Contributor

What was it before and what was it changed to? I would not think Comcast would change it unless one was "Xfinitywifi" of something like that.