Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

blue or organge data light

New Poster

blue or organge data light

The incoming connection from my cable to my router sometimes glows green, sometimes orange. What's the difference? What does that mean?

Expert

Re: blue or organge data light

Make and Model?

Expert

@jelprin wrote:

The incoming connection from my cable to my router sometimes glows green, sometimes orange. What's the difference? What does that mean?

And which light is it exactly ? Front panel ?

New Poster

The Router model (provided by Xfinity), as best I can determine is a Dual-Band Wi-Fi 802.11ac XB3. And the connection I'm asking about is on the back of the router and plugged into Ethernet connection #2 (of 4).

Problem Solver

The color indicates quality of connection:

Amber =10/100 Mbps

Green = 1000 Mbps

Some devices will simply show green, or flashing green, when a gigabit connection is established, or might alternate between amber and green.

Unless you're showing some sort of connection issue with your device, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

"Sometimes the best way to learn something is by doing it wrong and looking at what you did." - Neil Gaiman
Expert

@jelprin wrote:

The Router model (provided by Xfinity), as best I can determine is a Dual-Band Wi-Fi 802.11ac XB3. And the connection I'm asking about is on the back of the router and plugged into Ethernet connection #2 (of 4).

It indicates the speed of the ethernet port negotiation between the gateway device and the device that is connected to that port.