Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

arris sb6183

Frequent Visitor

arris sb6183

is comcast/xfinity able to remote access diagnostics for the Arris SB6183?  It is one of their approved cable modems.  They configure it initially and can push firmware updates to it, so can they see signal to noise, etc?

Expert

Re: arris sb6183

Yes. Why ?

Frequent Visitor

first off, know that I am only the past three or four days learning about cable modem,

my problem was sudden emergence of disconnect events, out of the blue.  I was hoping support could tell me something.

I was phone to support and my support person said couldn't.  Said would have to have a tech come out and I agreed, he came, he saw etc.  Put an attenuator inline on the coax to bring down out of spec pwr numbers.  He was able to check the numbers at the drop outside remotely with his magic device.  All numbers ok.  I google after he left and there was much post about the pwr numbers causing disconnect so I thought yay.  I also realized I could get the c m gui and did and yeah, everything looked kosher 

The next morning I had about an hour of recurring disconnects.  I was trying to gui in but was foiled by the c m being dark until it rebooted.  On one of these occasions, I caught it alive but just before it reestablished with comcast and the status showed a very out of band pwr number.  Which makes me wonder if there is fluctuation that occurs ?frayed cable somewhere, etc  Of course disconnects won't happen when a tech is here! not how it works

This morning I was on chat and that person was able to report SNR and PWR numbers to me, so yeah, apparently comcast CAN as you say.  Bad phone guy? que sera.  She (chat) was very good and at the end gave me a problem number and the phone # for tier two said they could really do health check etc.  (My problem is complete total laryngitis right now, no talkie so I will have to do that later

I am wondering about the hardware health of the cable modem.  I have a surge protector that got surged in my absence (realizing just yesterday duh) and of course those things are one time only (unless reset, this one isn't) so maybe a cause of damage?  Nothing connected to that (TV, wireless router) has shown signs of distress but no warrant of anything.

I don't have problem spending the cash to replace but it would be dumb if that's not the problem

If you have any wisdom, please impart to this ignorant soul.  Thanks

Expert

What do the modem's signal stats look like ? Try getting them here; http://192.168.100.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

Does the coax cable also go through the surge protector or is just for the A.C power ?

Frequent Visitor

thanks for your help.  I haven't had a disconnect event since that one instance after the tech had been here so ... ?

SNR is 45 ~ 43.3

Downstream PWR is 1.8 - 4.7

Upstream PWR is 45 - 43.8

I understand from the tech and my reading that these are good stats.

The question I really had, at the beginning of this thread, you answered, about whether Comcast could do check of these numbers remotely, since my first phone person said no (since private equipment).  I guess the phone support is hit or miss sometimes. 

When I had chat, the person didn't blink about getting numbers for me, and supplied the ?CMTS numbers (not accessible by users, right?)

Receive Power Level (upstream)(Dbmv) -   0.2dBmV.

Upstream Signal Quality(SNR) -     30.0dB 

The SNR is low? I saw that min was 31.  Is this just relevent to upload?  would it be party to disconnect?

Thanks.  I have seen your replies many times on the forum and your standard "here's what to check."  If I have future probs, I would have to check a splitter up on the roof, not easily accessible. As with many, the disconnect events just started up suddenly after years of no problems but I guess oxidation could get to a tipping point?

Frequent Visitor

the surge protector is just ac power.

Expert

Looks o/k. Don't sweat the uSNR being only 1 dB low if you are not having any problems.

Frequent Visitor

hi again.  I kept having the intermittency and fiddled around.  Been running 9.5 attenuation (splitter and inline) and that has been very good for 15 days, with no event log entries, so ... ?

this got the downstream to 0 and 44 and the upstream to 49 (occasionally as high as 54).  

question for you.  why so much attenuation - if that's answerable.  also, this - I read a couple times that attentuator will lower downstream but *raise* upstream.  Is that correct?  why would it work that way ...

curiosity

thanks

Expert

wrote:

(occasionally as high as 54).  

That's not good at all. There is something intermittent going on with the line / connection. Such that you may not be able to use so much overall attenuation. The intermittent issue really should be  addressed. And probably better addressed by a tech.

question for you.  why so much attenuation - if that's answerable. 

It's typically used because the downstream power is too hot (high) coming from the pole in the first place.

also, this - I read a couple times that attentuator will lower downstream but *raise* upstream.  Is that correct?  why would it work that way ...

Yeah. The power levels work exactly opposite of each other where overall attenuation is concerned. In the upstream, more attenuation makes it harder for the system to be able to hear the modem so the system commands the modem to raise its upstream power to shout louder to help it hear the modem. But there is a finite upper limit. 

Frequent Visitor

thanks for your replies.  Learned a little (wee bit) about cmts etc.  The 54 number that you didn't like has only shown up a couple times in the many many checks I have done the last 17 days (my uptime since the 9.5 attenuation), seems that 48 is vastly the norm.  

"Leave sleeping dogs lie" ... my motto.

Expert

wrote:

"Leave sleeping dogs lie" ... my motto.

That much of a flux is never good, nor is it normal. It is a problem just waiting to happen is "my motto". Smiley Wink Good luck with it ! Smiley Happy

Frequent Visitor

what is normal for flux?

Expert

No more than plus or minus 3-4 dB.