members

online now

discussions

Xfinitywifi

SOLVED
Highlighted
Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 4

My son has a Nook HD and an LG cell phone (no service on the phone).  He can connect to my home router with both.  My router restricts what he can and can't do on the internet.  However, he can disconnect from my network and connect to xfinitywifi and bypass all of my security settings.  He cannot connect to xfinitywifi with his LG cell phone without being prompted for an id and password.  How is he able to connect to xfinitywifi using the Nook HD without being asked for an id an password?  Is there a setting within my comcast/xfinity account that keeps track of devices I have logged in with, and allows them to log in again without asking for my credentials?  Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES
Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 2 of 4
Solution

Yeah, once logged in with your account ID and password it will be remembered. You can manage / remove devices here:

https://customer.xfinity.com/#/settings/security/hotspot-devices

Obviously you would need to change the account ID / password if your son knows that. One other thing, xfinitywifi used to allow at least one free hour per month access to non - account holders, before they have to buy a pass. Not sure if that is still the case, (or how that works), but you can check into it

Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 3 of 4

Thank you.  I have been looking for device maintenance for a very long time.  It is not easy to find, and though your link took me directly to it, there was no way to tell how I got to device management.  I had to click on every option to finally find out how to go to it from the Settings Menu.  Once there, I found there were many devices linked to my account and the Nook was one of them.  I deleted all except the ones that were valid.  Now I need to research and find out how the other devices managed to link to my account.  I do know those devices have one thing in common, they have a sub-email account on my account.  So I assume they are logging in to their email account to gain access to my account, which allows them to attatch a device.  If that is the case, I hope there is a setting to where they can use email only, and nothing else, such as attatching devices.  If not, I will just have to disable the email account.  Other than that, your solution resolved my main concern.  Now he is forced to log into the main router which has all of the security settings turned on.  Again, thank you, this was very helpful.

J.R.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 4 of 4

Glad you got there!

Hmm, not a 100%, but I do believe 5 devices can connect from each account. Primary or secondary users...If that is the case, guess you could simply tell him not to. You would know if he had connected, because it would appear on the manage devices page again. Rather than switch the account off altogether...

Good luck with it!