Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Xfinity Wifi hotspot says I've used 20 times as much bandwidth than I actually have..

Frequent Visitor

Xfinity Wifi hotspot says I've used 20 times as much bandwidth than I actually have..

Currently, I cannot access "My Account" for some reason, and its been like this for over two weeks now, but back when I could, the bandwidth number was waaaay over my actual usage for the hotspot pass. One month when I used around 270gb, it showed that I used around 5.3 TERABYTES (screenshot uploaded). That's almost impossible on my 25 mbit connection, especially when I'm at work half the time and not even using the hotspot connection. It's only connected to my desktop so there's no way the internet is being utilized while my PC is off. Anywho, I'm just curious as to why there would be such a crazy difference between what comcast says I've used, vs the bandwidth I've actually used.
vde5tfQ.png
Expert

Re: Xfinity Wifi hotspot says I've used 20 times as much bandwidth than I actually have..

Hi @eballen.

I've seen this before. The general consensus is that the app is erroneously reporting all the data usage from all users on that particular hotspot. It's just a bug and won't affect you in any way.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity Wifi hotspot says I've used 20 times as much bandwidth than I actually have..

Can't they just have it detect how much bandwidth is being utilized by my particular device through mac address?
Frequent Visitor

Who "solved" this? It's not solved... the issue isn't fixed.
Expert

@eballen wrote:
Can't they just have it detect how much bandwidth is being utilized by my particular device through mac address?

No, Comcast does not measure data on that level. Their system only counts data that passes through a specific modem associated with a specific account.