online now

discussions

Xfinity HotSpot FAQs

SOLVED
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 301 of 375

tomstovall:

You don't know how much time I've wasted til a techy friend told me what was going on. Seriously, with my hotspot enabled, that light never stops blinking like a christmas light. I mean nonstop 24 hours because like I said I live in a very congested condo complex. 

I only use wifi to update my apps on my phone/tablet and now I've been using my data to do so to avoid this constant "turn off hot spot".

YES, hotspot gets enabled each time you use wifi. Never heard of anything so ridiculous and archaic in my whole life.

Posted by
Visitor
Message 302 of 375
Hi George
Please disable - it is hi-jacking my devises.
Let me know how to send you a private message
Thank you!
Posted by
Contributor

Message 303 of 375

:

That's why I got rid of my Comcast phone and got MagicJack. Then I got rid of my Comcast modem and got a SBG 6580 off Amazon. No more hotspot and no more 10.00 modem rental Smiley Happy

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 304 of 375
disablehotspot:

Unfortunately for me, too many devices in my house use WiFi to function. Devices like my satellite boxes, my Apple TV boxes, etc., would work wired; I just can't get Ethernet to them.

I just (sigh) run a sniffer all the time; and when I find the xfinitywifi re-activated, I log the event (at the FCC's request) and disable it - again.
Posted by
Visitor
Message 305 of 375
Hi George
Yes please disable - it is hi-jacking my devises
There is no other account
Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 306 of 375

My combo modem/router was also on the blitz this weekend.  Blocking Sonos streaming as well as my Home Security router's access through the App and many, many more.  Still going on this morning Smiley Sad

#getitfixed

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 307 of 375

Disable my hotspot.

I just used wifi for 10 minutes and of course my hotspot is once again enabled.

Disable my hotspot.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 308 of 375

Please disable my xfinity wifi.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 309 of 375

Hello 

Your Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspot has been disabled.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Thank You!!!

ComcastGeorge

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 310 of 375

Disable my hotspot.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 311 of 375

Please disable hotspot. Please. Cannot do it from account page, keep getting error message. THX.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 312 of 375

I've tried to disable via the instructions to no avail. Please disable my Hotspot, thank you.

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 313 of 375

Please disable my xfinity wifi

thank you

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 314 of 375
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 315 of 375

Hello 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 316 of 375

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 317 of 375

Hello 

Thank You!!!

ComcastGeorge

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 318 of 375

saddino wrote:

I've tried to disable via the instructions to no avail. Please disable my Hotspot, thank you.

SAME WITH ME SADDINO!  I OWN MY OWN MOTOROLA SURFBOARD MODEM/ROUTER AND I GOT AN ERROR MESSAGE WHEN TRYING TO 'MANAGE' MY WIFI SETTINGS.  I HAD TO CALL TECHNICAL SUPPORT.  THE AGENT SAID MY SLOWER WIFI SPEEDS SHOULD BE BETTER WHEN IT TAKES EFFECT IN 24 HOURS.  I KNEW IT!!

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 319 of 375

tomstovall wrote:
disablehotspot:

Unfortunately for me, too many devices in my house use WiFi to function. Devices like my satellite boxes, my Apple TV boxes, etc., would work wired; I just can't get Ethernet to them.

I just (sigh) run a sniffer all the time; and when I find the xfinitywifi re-activated, I log the event (at the FCC's request) and disable it - again.

Just HAVING the hot spot slows down your entire service.  I remember when this option became available I said I didn't want it.  Then just recently I noticed "xfinity wifi" on available networks.  When I connected and looked at network info, sure enough, it is MY IP address, not a nearby address I could access. And the houses on my street DO have strong enough signals and so do  I (to connect to each other if it is "open").   It DEFINITELY slows down your speed.  Then you don't know who's connecting using their own Comcast info to log-on!  I complained my service was slower since that appeared (they added without my cosent).  I couldn't disable it myself like the FAQs say to do...maybe because I own my own router/modem, causing an error message.    Technical support said it would be entirely disabled within 24 hours and my internet wifi speed should increase!  I knew it!!

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 320 of 375

Well, Comcast George, I got that error message too!  But I DEFINITELY had the "xfinity wifi" network available to choose from and when I connected to see the network info, it was DEFINITELY MY IP address!  I had to call tech support and get it removed on your end.  She said it would be disabled within 24 hours and my speeds should go back up.  (Reason I was looking at networks).  I own my own Motorola Surfboard modem/router and maybe that causes the error message to pop  up but, nonetheless, I DID have the hotspot!

ComcastGeorge wrote:

I've looked into your account and it shows that you do not have a Xfinity WiFi capable modem. So there is nothing to turn off.

I apologise for the delay in getting these issues taken care of. ComcastJesse is not actively on the forums now but I'll make sure I get to every request here on the thread. 

Thank You!!!

ComcastGeorge

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 321 of 375

tomstovall wrote:
And now, the truth comes out. Excerpt from Consumer Affairs, yesterday:

And just where is this wi-fi capacity coming from? It may be as close as your home. Comcast has been quietly replacing the routers it supplies to cable customers with new models that have a "channel" for use by the customer and another channel that will be available to anyone with a Comcast account. Cablevision's plan may be similar.

This means that someone driving by your home may be, for at least a few seconds, connecting through the router in your spare bedroom.

Cablevision calls its service Freewheel and says it will include unlimited data, talk and text for $9.95 a month for the company’s broadband Internet subscribers and $29.95 for noncustomers.

There has been some consternation from activists who say Comcast is invading its users privacy and needlessly running up their electricity bills. But Comcast insists the second "channel" -- which isn't really a channel but simply a second user account on the router -- will be completely walled off from the consumer's network and the twain shall never meet.

Well "walled off" or not, secure or not, it DEFINITELY slows down your service!  I just happened to notice "xfinity wifi" as an available network.  I had ALREADY said in settings when this came out that I did NOT want a hotspot.  I even own my own Motorola Surfboard modem/router but it must be compatible.  I  just called today and insisted on having it disabled.  She asked if I didn't want it "showing" I said NO!  I want it totally disabled!  She said it would be disabled within 24 hours and I should see my internet speed improve (just as I suspected)!

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 322 of 375

VectorRoll wrote:

I am just wonder... Is there a time limit on how long it will take for this Home Network Hot Spot feature to actually Turn Off? I ask becasue I have disabled it through My Account Preferances and it says that it is Disabled, yet my Modem is still broadcasting it. Do we have to wait like a day or so for it to actually Stop Broadcasting to connection?

Also... The reason I turned it off am trying to turn it off is because about every day or day and a half my Network goes down and I have to jump through hoops to get it back up. I have to keep going downstairs to unplug the Modem. I even unplug my Router even though it still seems to be working as I can connect to it but not he Modem, and yet even then it does not always work on getting me through to the modem. I have to wait for about an hour at times before the Network comes back on. Sometimes it is just a few minutes but the times that it takes as long as almost an hour gets me real frustrated. This all started around the time they turned on this Home Network feature and just got worse since then, so I am wondering if it is this Home Network feature that is causing it. Is it possible that this home Network feature is killing my modem or conflicting with the regualr Network?

Also just encase you are wondering, this is not just a WiFi signal that I am loosing, it is my Ethernet Connection which is my main. I run Ethernet to my Upsatirs Router which feeds my connections upstairs do to poor wireless signal from the Modem on that part of the house and the fact that some PC's upstairs don't have WiFi adapters. Its a large house so the WiFi sigal has trouble getting through all the walls and I need connection in every part of the house. Smiley Happy

I had to calla tech support today because I couldn't disable mine in settings...got an error message.  She said 24 hours.  But I can't confirm because I just did it an hour ago.  

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 323 of 375

SAME WITH ME SADDINO!  I OWN MY OWN MOTOROLA SURFBOARD MODEM/ROUTER AND I GOT AN ERROR MESSAGE WHEN TRYING TO 'MANAGE' MY WIFI SETTINGS.  

FWIW and AFAIK, their public WiFi hotspot is not put on customer owned gateway devices.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 324 of 375

ComcastGeorge -

Please disable my xfinifty wifi hotspot.

I have been trying for hours, and continually get the following message:

Error occured while saving XFINITY WiFi preference.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 325 of 375

ComcastGeorge -

Please disable my xfinifty wifi hotspot. I tried to do myself, but of course got the "error".

Thank you.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 326 of 375

Comcast George, I was told my hotspot would be disabled within 24 hours.  Then I got a call with no Comcast caller ID so I didn't answer.  He said I don't HAVE xfinity  hotspot and maybe it's a neighbor but when I click on available networks and select xfinity wifi it is DEFINITELY my router's IP address!!  I want it disabled and I'm tired of the bull****!  My so-called "Blast" plan is losing SO MUCH more speed from the LAN to the WAN than it used to!  If I don't get resolution I'll just go back to AT&T's 24mbps plan!  I didn't get that much LAN to WAN loss so I'm not really getting "Blast" wifi speeds anyway!

ComcastJesse wrote:

Just as a reminder here is the FAQ’s for the Xfinity Hotspot http://wifi.comcast.com/faqs.html

I have been getting a lot of requests to disable the hotspot, so I wanted to post this along with a quick how-to.  

To disable the Hotspot connection, visit My Account at https://customer.comcast.com/, click on “Users & Preferences”, and then select “Manage XFINITY WiFi.”

If you still have issues, please feel free to PM me with your account information and  please add “Disable Hotspot” in the subject line. 

You can PM me here: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/5707303

If you do not receive a response in a timely manner, please feel free to post your request within the forum (do not include any of your account information) and someone will get to the request ASAP.

Thank you!

(And thank you ComcastTuska for assisting me with getting this setup.)

Posted by
Visitor

Message 327 of 375

Please permanently disable my xfinity hotspot.

thx

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 328 of 375

3rr0r wrote:

Please permanently disable my xfinity hotspot.

thx

Send a private message to Comcast George about that here;

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/5893213

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 329 of 375

Hello 

Thank You!!!

ComcastGeorge

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 330 of 375

Hello 

Thank You!!!

ComcastGeorge

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 331 of 375

Hello 

I have reviewed your account and did not find any leased equipment. XFINITY WIFI is only available through Wireless Gateways that we provide to you. 

We do not have the ability to enable XFINITY WIFI on customer owned equipment. 

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I will be happy to help.

ComcastGeorge

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 332 of 375

Hello 

Thank You!!!

ComcastGeorge

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 333 of 375

It is still broadcasting.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 334 of 375

Get rid of that Xfinity Wifi.  You don't have proper Wifi equipment to handle multiple SSIDs.  Your equipment can barely handle a single Wifi SSID.  You're just angering your customers.

Here's my diagnosis:

That Xfinity Wifi is just horribly done and on poor Wifi Equipment.  I've only just started using Comcast and found your device to have really poor wifi connectivity.  Don't you guys do any quality checks?

I only switched because the Telco was not going to get fiber to my area any time soon and I needed more upload speed for work.  The old DSL modem had steady Wifi with no packet loss and was rock solid for months without a reboot.  

On Comcast Wifi with that Xfinity Hotspot enabled, ping times are 20ms-50ms with occasional spikes to 200 ms with frequent consequetive packet drops.

With the Xfiinity Wifi turned off, I get decent 19ms - 21ms ping times, but I still get occasional packet drops as well as ping times that reach 50+ms.  <-- An indication that comcast has lousy networks or network devices.

Ping times on the wired network was a tiny bit faster.  17-21 ms with similar slowdowns and occasional packet drops.

This ping analysis indicates that your equipment, or firmware hack for the 2nd Xfinity SSID, was extremely, poorly implemented.  It seems like the device wasn't meant for multiple Wifi SSIDs and barely meant for a Single SSID.  It also seems like your network is faulty.  What's wrong with your network?  Is your near monopoly status allowing you to get away with such poor service quality?

I turned off Xfinity Wifi on my account a few weeks ago and found it turned on today.  I had to call in to turn it off, since it was still off in my account settings.

About 10-15 minutes after my call to shut off Xfinity Wifi, I suddenly lost network.  I rebooted the modem and there was the Xfinity Wifi again.  I had to call again and this time I asked to have it permanently turned off.  It took 30 minutes after being handed off twice.

Wifi should not waver that much unless there's a signal problem or poorly implemented Wifi.  I've had steady ping times with other Wifi equipment, even with multiple users on the same access point.  This only indicates that Comcast doesn't ever do quality checks on customer equipment or customer networks.  You've either provided your customers with faulty equipment or faulty network.  Ping times through DSL and work Wifis stayed a steady 20-22 ms.  It doesn't randomly jump to 60ms.  They also don't periodically drop packets, even after 5000 pings.

Even pinging the internal Comcast Wifi gateway, I'm getting 1.7ms-5ms with the frequent spikes to almost 30 ms.  That's only a sinle hop and I'm getting jumps  There no other nearby Wifi signlas that are even close to strong enough for me to even latch onto.  I only see 2 Wifi SSIDs on my system unless I walk to the end of my home, and even then, the signals come and go.  My work wifi maintains a much steadier 3ms ping to all internal IPs with no spikes and there are a lot more user devices on the same access point.  Pings from work Wifi to standard regional IPs typically stay within 20ms with about 2 ms of variance.  Comcast will have 20ms pings, then frequent drops in speed every 20-50 packets, even on wired ethernet.  After a reboot, I might get a dropped packet every 300 to 1000 pings.  This is a serious equipment or network failure on Comcast's part.

P.S.

The first time I called about poor wifi over a month ago about a week or 2 after starting service, one of your techs dared to tell me that 20ms -60ms ping time fluctuations to the same IP was normal and he had been working with wifi since he was 9.  <-- Probably from growing up with only using Comcast far too long.

I was told to replace that first device because it was supposedly bad, based on several ping times over 100ms, but it probably was just the Xfinity Wifi.  Not only that, I had to drive it to an office and waste an hour on a weekend.  The telco at least shipped it to me for free and allowed me to swap it out first before I mailed it back.  I had to be without service for and hour and I had to drive, then wait in line to swap out the equipment.  You make your customer do the legwork for your problems.  That would not happen if there was any real competition.  No wonder you've been voted Worst Company in America... twice... on Consumerist.  If I didn't know some very basic troubleshooting, I'd be stuck with an even lousier connection quality.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 335 of 375

Anyone that gets VOIP for the home is a sucker and getting ripped off.  If you're not technical enough, you get cheated.  VOIP should be free just like SMS should be free.

If you have a mobile phone, why do you need VOIP?

Skype is free to other skype and you can make calls without a monthly fee.  You only need to add money when you call a phone number.  $20 go a long, long way if you don't make a lot of calls.  Skype numbers are also much cheaper than and Telco and Cable VOIP services.  You can also get a Google number and Google Voice for free.There's plenty of free Internet messaging services too.  If you know how to use them, you and your friends can call each other already.  You've likely already paid for internet service anyway.

Old POTS Landlines have a better guaranteed uptime.  There's a reason alarm companies still require landlines.  Power failures do not affect old landlines.  If you have a power failure for VOIP you lose VOIP.  Sure, they have a battery backup now, but they don't last that long and you have to replace the battery every few years.  If you happen to also use a laptop to connect to the internet, you'll be using up that battery power faster.  If you have extended outages, you'll be losing your connection anyway.

MagicJack is really just another VOIP.  They've just packaged it in a easier format for those that are less technically inclined.

Basically, VOIP should be virtually free.  VOIP from Cable and Telcos are SCAMs and overcharge you.  They're trying to make money from phone service and got extras from Internet service while people were switching over and now they've decided they need to keep making extra from people because POTS is becoming obsolete.

Most people wil have cell phones now and internet too.  Their VOIP services are them trying to double dip or triple dip.

The only reason VOIP can make sense is if they have end to end encryption, with no way to intercept.  That's what Skype originally had before Microsoft bought them.

This country was quite far ahead during the 90s with internet and computing services, but regulatory capture by Cable & Telephone industries have eroded our lead.  Other country's have leapfrogged over us with symmetrical 100 MB internet and Gigabit internet and we're still trying to catch up.  We're stuch with assymetric service with very low upload speeds.  It's severely hampering our other technology industries.  We're seriously starting to fall behind here.

There's so many things that we could do if we all already have Gigabit internet to our home.  I've worked at a place with access to Internet2, (which is basically gigabit internet) and they've been doing so much with it already.  They just can't get it to people's homes because of the slow internet speeds.

Regulatory capture is not free market.  It stunts our economic and technological growth.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 336 of 375

EG wrote:

AFAIK, they both have the same transmit power output.

From my short experience and ping tests, I suspect they just wrote a firmware patch (a poor hack) to multiplex the circuit on hardware that wasn't meant to support mulitple SSIDs.  That's why it interferes so much with the other SSID on the equipment.  It's on the same power because it's using the same circuit, not just the same antenna.  As it switches to Xfinity SSID, the other SSID is off during that time, so there's a delay switching back.

They're trying to shoehorn a commercial access point feature into a comsumer grade single circuit Wifi.

There's a reason commercial access points cost $300-$500 to support 12 SSIDs with multiple power levels.  The home consumer wifi, especially the low end one from xfinity/comcast, can't really handle the extra work.

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 337 of 375

Sounds plausible.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 338 of 375

What's wrong with you Comcast?  Someone at Comcast reset the settings on my Modem again and Xfinity Wifi came back  I called again to have it reset.  I should not have to call each time to "fix" connectivity issues caused by your poorly implemented Wifi.

You don't even test it.  Your equipment can't really handle it.  Stop screwing up everyone's home Wifi.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 339 of 375

Get used to it.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 340 of 375

Then when I go up to my networks why do I see "Xfinity Wifi"  and when I go to network preferences and click on Xfinity Wifi I see MY IP4 ADDRESS AND ROUTER UNDER TCP/IP??

ComcastGeorge wrote:

Hello 

I have reviewed your account and did not find any leased equipment. XFINITY WIFI is only available through Wireless Gateways that we provide to you. 

We do not have the ability to enable XFINITY WIFI on customer owned equipment. 

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I will be happy to help.

ComcastGeorge

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 341 of 375
YES. EXPLAIN WHY MY TCP/IP INFORMATION SHOWS UP ON THE XFINITY WIFI I SEE ON MY AVAILABLE NETWORKS IF IT IS NOT ATTACHED TO MY INTERNET ACCOUNT!!
Posted by
Visitor
Message 342 of 375
Every time I try to disable my hotspot I get this message. "We're sorry. Something unexpected happened. Please try again later."
This is no accident and nothing unexpected is happening. Comcast has programmed it to not allow you to disable your hotspot most of the time. They put the option there to fool the FCC into thinking that having the hot spot is the customers choice. But they default you to on and if you are ever able to get it turned off, the just reenable it later. If nothing else, Comcast is using your electricity to power their network. There is a reason why Comcast has won the "Worst Company In America" award several times.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 343 of 375

vsaluki: FYI ur hotspot gets re-enabled each time u use wifi, i.e., if u r only using internet via ethernet ur hotspot stays disabled but anytime u use wireless device the hotspot gets re-enabled. Their solution was to disable wifi. what? how very archaic of them. 

Posted by
Visitor

Message 344 of 375

George

Please disable the WiFi hotspot on my account. I have tried numerous ties via the Comcast website but the request always errors out.

Thanks

Brad

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 345 of 375

Hello 

Thank You!!!

ComcastGeorge

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 346 of 375

Rage.

When a technician serviced my line, he said they had to replace the cable modem, and that's when I got saddled with this XFinity all-in-one box.  I asked him, "Don't you just have a plain cable modem, with no router, and no WiFi radio in it?   He said No.

So this thing started broadcasting the second hotspot, which immediately screwed me

up because I had the box in bridge mode and put my own router behind it.

So the WiFi radio sitting right next to my wireless router's radio was causing major signal problems, no matter what channel I put my own radio on.

I had to call Comcast to get the radio turned off.  That did fix the problem.  (The web page never worked... always got the ""We're sorry. Something unexpected happened. Please try again later."   10 times, 20 times, 2 browsers multiple days...

Today, out of the blue, "xfinitiwifi" appears in my computer's list of nearby available networks.    I went back into the web page, hopeless thinking that maybe this time it would work.  It didn't.  As always, ""We're sorry. Something unexpected happened. Please try again later."

But then xfinitiwifi disappeared from my computer's list of SSIDs.

-----------------------

Bluntly,

Comcast, I do not believe you. 

The web page button is a red herring.  If you wanted it to work, it would work.  You have deliberately rigged it so that most of the time,

it fails, to discourage people from turning off the hotspot.

You could easily provide plain cable modems, but you don't, because you want to ram unwanted services down our throats.  If I had not been over a barrel, needing my internet back on that day for work, I would have told the guy to forget it, and just bought my own cable modem, which is what I have done before. 

And now...

... that's what I'm a gonna do.  I suggest everyone within the sound of my internet voice go out an buy your own cable modem, and tell Comcast to take back their box and shove it.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 347 of 375

Jesse, is there anyone at Comcast that knows how to use wifi?  Let's scenario a second to explain what's happening:

You enter a bar and don't know anyone seated.  Unknown to you, everyone's name is Ralph!  You call out, "Is Ralph here?", in a loud voice.  Everyone answers, "Yeah, that's me!" at once.  The reason being EVERYONE HAS THE SAME EXACT NAME, like xfinitywifi!  The same thing is happening all over Charleston, SC.  Every Xfinity hotspot has the SAME STUPID SSID!  This is CRAZY!  If there are two, or more, many more, in range of your laptop, THEY ALL ANSWER AT ONCE and communications, of course, fails over and over and over until you give up!  Who designs this stuff?!  There are many places I've been where, using VisiStumbler to list them all, there are 4, 6, 8, 9 APs all calling themselves xfinitywifi with NO OTHER DESIGNATOR!  When someone calls from stupid Windows or Apple or Android, having been called to the SAME SSID, THEY ALL CONNECT, of course!  The most powerful one gets connected, briefly, but all the others, having been called CONTINUE to reconnect and reconnect and reconnect!  Who designs this stuff, the TV coax pullers?

Go to any multiport hotel installed by professionals and look at their SSID list.  I'm connected to Days_4 to send this message from a Day's Inn Hotel system on Comcast.  Each port has a DIFFERENT SSID.....Days_1, Days_2, Days_3, Days_4, Days_5, Days_6, Days_7 so they don't all answer every user all at once!  What a concept!  Can Comcast be trained with this concept?

Suggestion, a software change.  When you load the SSID into the Xfinity hot spot, let's add the last two hex groups from the modem's MAC to the end of the xfinitywifi identifying SSID.  This will give each hot spot an INDIVIDUALLY ADDRESSABLE SSID and, as an added bonus, the paying users will be able to see which one has the BEST signal as they will all be listed SEPARATELY, instead of just once (Win7 only lists them all on one connection line).  Duplicate SSIDs will be nearly impossible by chance and can be easily fixed.  SSIDs will still be easily identified like:

xfinitywifi0EB2 for users to find.

I see a lot of users complaining about xfinitywifi connecting where they don't want it to, hosing your tech support lines to the script readers amazement.  If each xfinitywifi hotspot has its OWN SSID, the hotspot in the area they want to connect in connects as xfinitywifi0EB2, BUT the one they don't want, say in their home, is xfinitywifiEA5B from its different MAC address so it is ignored as they have never used it....solving this other problem.

I'm SURE the hotspot manufacturer is capable of loading these extended SSIDs into the modems Comcast buys and the old modems can simply be changed by reading the MAC and changing the SSID to add it by remote control from a central point.  No trucks need roll.

How stupid it was to give every hotspot the SAME SSID!  Somebody needs hire a wifi engineer that knows what he's doing!

Posted by
Contributor

Message 348 of 375

I too an trying to turn off my xfinity hotspot but the web site never works when I try and turn it off.  I always get the same error message.  One of two things is going on.  Either Comcast is not trying to fix the problem or they are incompetent.  Please either remove the option to disable the hotspot or make it so that it works. Very frustrating to say the least.   there is so much to like about Comcast and its services but things like this can ruin the experience.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 349 of 375

Disable the xfinity hotspot on my account

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 350 of 375
You STILL didn't answer my question! I heard you the first time about leased equipment. Answer my SSID question!!