online now

discussions

Xfinity HotSpot FAQs

SOLVED
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 201 of 375

Hi Jesse,

I noticed this morning the hotspot is back. I have not rebooted since you disabled it two days ago. When I checked the connection choices even last night, I only had two. This morning it was running very slown, and then nothing. When I looked at the connection choices, xfinitywifi was back on the grid, along with six others that I would never use.  Can I do something on my end to resolve this so you get one less email each week?  Thanks in advance

Debbie

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 202 of 375

please disable myhotspot. it says i cant but i have your modem ..

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 203 of 375

please disable my hotspot connection

i keep getting an error when trying to do so manually

-thanks

Posted by
Visitor

Message 204 of 375

Can you please disable my hotspot. Account: XXXXXXXXXXXX

Removed personal account information from your post

Posted by
Visitor

Message 205 of 375
"Manage XFINITY WiFi." Option does not show up. It does not exist on the menu. What exactly should I do?
Posted by
Visitor
Message 206 of 375

I do not have the option to manage this myself, it doesn't show up in my management screen. I suspect this is because I have two modems listed on my internet equipment page, an older TM602G and the newer TG862G. I only have the 862G and returned the older one a long time ago when the new one suddenly showed up on my doorstep as an "upgrade".

Could you possibly look into removing this old equipment off my screen and then seeing if my hotspot can be disabled as well? Thank you!

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 207 of 375

I selected the Manage Xfinity WiFi and I  got the following error message:

"You will not be able to enable or disable the XFINITY WiFi Home Hotspot feature as you do not have an eligible XFINITY Wireless Gateway in your home.

To learn more about Home Hotspot, find a hotspot near you or to download the XFINITY WiFi app, visit xfinity.com/wifi."

I have the Cisco DPC3939 Gateway from Xfinity. I'm paying eight bucks for it,  I should be eligible Smiley Happy

An idea what the problem is?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 208 of 375

opus1269 wrote:

I selected the Manage Xfinity WiFi and I  got the following error message:

"You will not be able to enable or disable the XFINITY WiFi Home Hotspot feature as you do not have an eligible XFINITY Wireless Gateway in your home.

To learn more about Home Hotspot, find a hotspot near you or to download the XFINITY WiFi app, visit xfinity.com/wifi."

I have the Cisco DPC3939 Gateway from Xfinity. I'm paying eight bucks for it,  I should be eligible Smiley Happy

An idea what the problem is?

Search for COMCASTJESSE... send him a PM and ask that your device be put into the mode you are asking for...

-=Ray=-

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 209 of 375

Very curious. Comcast decides to call the 'guest' wireless network on the DORY a 'hot-spot' and instead of making it a standard local 'admin' function (like Cisco), they choose to use a web-based pop-up that is very unrealiable..

I gues stranger still is my DORY works perfevtly, and my guests love the 'Xfinity hot-spot'. Yesterday AM we had the following all connected and some watching moviesvia  wireless:

3 - IPads

1 - IPhone

1- Think-pad T42

1- ChromeBook

Posted by
Visitor

Message 210 of 375
How do you know that it will stay disabled and wont reactivate after a power failure or a signal from Comcast?
Posted by
Visitor

Message 211 of 375
So you get a double dose of electromagnetic radiation.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 212 of 375
Just my thoughts on this whole issue... I personally have a Motorola modem and my own router as my home network needs exceeded the Comcast router long ago (my wife and I have in excess of 20 devices on our network as we are both involved in IT heavy industries). I love the idea of Comcast doing the hotspot as the secondary antenna option on their leased routers. I do believe they should waive the rental fees if you are providing a public hotspot to other Comcast customers... But it has been extremely useful to us when visiting friends and neighbors, especially when cell service is garbage and we need to use wifi calling. I can personally vouch after doing a lot of digging into my own mothers' router that she isn't being charged for the data use and that the extra network is throttled through qos as to not affect her service.

Edit:
It is very awkward for me to ask for a wifi password from my host if they do not openly offer it. I'm very sensitive about my own network and devices being exposed to potential hazard from a guests' unclean system. This is a great way to avoid that awkward moment. I can also vouch that the router does a totally separate subnet for the xfinity network. Knowing that a docsis 3 modem has bandwidth capacity over 200mbit alleviates any guilt I have over network congestion considering its all shared copper from the moment it hits the street box.

Edit 2:
After speaking with several friends in IT on the issue they suspect any disconnects or performance issues could be related to processor capacity on the routers themselves. This issue will hopefully disappear quickly and naturally as the firmware becomes more optimized and the hardware gets better. I really embrace the idea of being able to access a broadband connection practically anywhere without being an inconvenience to my hosts.
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 213 of 375

When you access the gateway connection menu should the xfinity wifi tab still read "active" even if you disabled it and don't see a broadcast?

I just want to make sure this is disabled...

Posted by
Visitor

Message 214 of 375

I just tried to access the "manage xfinity wif" link several times and get an error message.  Looking at the forum it sounds like others have the same problem.  How do I turn off xfinity wifi?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 215 of 375

Anon467897 wrote:

I just tried to access the "manage xfinity wif" link several times and get an error message.  Looking at the forum it sounds like others have the same problem.  How do I turn off xfinity wifi?

Thee are some devices that allow you to do this in the ADMIN section of your gateway....  if you do not have this, then send a PM to ComcastJesse and he can do it for you.

-=Ray=-

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 216 of 375

I have a slightly different question regarding the xfinity hotspot that someone may be able to answer.

I noticed the xfinity hotspot when it came active, but never really did anything with it.  Recently my android tablet was upgraded to lollipop, which caused quite a few connection related issues, which ultimately turned out to be separation of my secure wifi signal from the others in the neighborhood.  (I changed my channel to a manual selection, performed some tablet configuration settings, and all was good again.)

On my tablet I used the wifi analyzer to view signals, and observed the xfinity wifi signal that is almost the same as my secure wifi connection.  The xfinity wifi signal was complete with a label on the curve identifying it as an xfinity wifi hotspot, and I decided to disable it.  Found this thread, and after a few attempts, was able to disable it on the router.

Now, when I use the wifi analyzer, I still see a wifi signal that coincides with my secure network signal, that looks the same as the previous xfinity wifi signal on the analyzer.  However, now the power curve still shows up like before, but it is not labeled at all.

So, it seems like the xfinity wifi signal is still there, but without the label.  While I may want this in the future, at the moment I am interested in disabling it entirely, to see if that improves the connectivity to my tablet.

Should I go through this again to try to disable it or ?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 217 of 375

Hiker_Guy wrote:

I have a slightly different question regarding the xfinity hotspot that someone may be able to answer.

I noticed the xfinity hotspot when it came active, but never really did anything with it.  Recently my android tablet was upgraded to lollipop, which caused quite a few connection related issues, which ultimately turned out to be separation of my secure wifi signal from the others in the neighborhood.  (I changed my channel to a manual selection, performed some tablet configuration settings, and all was good again.)

On my tablet I used the wifi analyzer to view signals, and observed the xfinity wifi signal that is almost the same as my secure wifi connection.  The xfinity wifi signal was complete with a label on the curve identifying it as an xfinity wifi hotspot, and I decided to disable it.  Found this thread, and after a few attempts, was able to disable it on the router.

Now, when I use the wifi analyzer, I still see a wifi signal that coincides with my secure network signal, that looks the same as the previous xfinity wifi signal on the analyzer.  However, now the power curve still shows up like before, but it is not labeled at all.

So, it seems like the xfinity wifi signal is still there, but without the label.  While I may want this in the future, at the moment I am interested in disabling it entirely, to see if that improves the connectivity to my tablet.

Should I go through this again to try to disable it or ?

I have never had xfinitywifi enabled on my gateway, but I also have a second signal on the 2.4 GHz band.  It does not broadcast its SSID and it has WPA2 enabled.  It does not show up when I login to manage my Gateway. I have the DPC3939.  I was never worried about it since it is not Open like the xfinitywifi connections I have seen around town and I always assumed it had something to do with their wifi hotspot strategy.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 218 of 375

Opus,

Thx for the reply.  I assumed the second signal was the xfinitywifi, perhaps it is not.  If not, what exactly is it?  And, more importantly, can or should we even turn it off?

It does show a slightly different pattern, sometimes going offline for a few seconds and then coming back on, signal strength is generally the same as my secure signal.

I have the TC8305C router/wifi box.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 219 of 375

Hiker_Guy wrote:

Opus,

Thx for the reply.  I assumed the second signal was the xfinitywifi, perhaps it is not.  If not, what exactly is it?  And, more importantly, can or should we even turn it off?

It does show a slightly different pattern, sometimes going offline for a few seconds and then coming back on, signal strength is generally the same as my secure signal.

I have the TC8305C router/wifi box.

Sorry, don't know the details. Maybe ComcastJesse can fill us in.

I do know that I get 60 Mbps wired and the same wireless so it isn't causing me any problems..... yet Smiley Happy

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 220 of 375
Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 221 of 375

ATTENTION 

Your post was removed to a secure area out of public view because it violates forum posting guidelines.

Forum Guidelines state >>> clickable link http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Forum-Guidelines/Posting-Guidelines/td-p/866289 which everyone should read BEFORE making a first post

Please don't;

Post personal information in the forums

Please do your best to keep your identity and personal information safe. This includes:

Your full name
Your telephone number
Your Physical/Mailing Address
Email addresses
Credit Card numbers
Account numbers <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Personal public IP addresses
Modem MAC address and / or serial number
Active phishing links
Other personally identifiable information

Here is your post with the information removed;

Can you please disable my "xfinitywifi" open network hotspot Jesse? Thank you!
Account: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Was receiving - ""You will not be able to enable or disable the XFINITY WiFi Home Hotspot feature as you do not have an eligible XFINITY Wireless Gateway in your home.""

Now receiving "We're sorry. Something unexpected happened. Please try again later."

Thank you!

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 222 of 375

Can you please disable my xfinitywifi open network hotspot Jesse? Thank you

Keep receiving error mesage: "We're sorry. Something unexpected happened. Please try again later."

Thank you

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 223 of 375

I have been trying for over four hours now to disable my hotspot.   I sent two chat messages, the agent promised to do it and did not do it, and every time I click on the link to disable it I get an error message.   It costs twice as much in electrical osts to support that wifi hotspot.   People cluster near your house to use your signal, and I don't care what they say, IT DOES AFFECT YOUR THROUGHPUT.   I am pretty angry about this--my latest attempt to make them disable this resulted in the agent/salesperson trying to sell me a two year commitment with costs going up after one year.   I'm so disappointed with the customer service I am getting from comcast--I had such high hopes, but this is lousy, lousy service for nearly two hundred dollars a month--and I don't even have telephone service with these guys.   Given the way they mishandle the internet --and the months of poor tv signal I put up with, still paying full price, mind you--I don't have confidence in them.   It's a shame.   They have such potential to provide a wide range of service, but when they REFUSE to accomodate a simple request to get the creeps hanging around the neighborhood cadging my signal gone, they can't do that.   I should not have to subsidize Comcast by paying extra electrical charges to support their roaming customers who use the bandwidth playing games and streaming. 

Posted by
Visitor

Message 224 of 375

PM sent to have Hotspot disabled. I'm consistently getting the error message and do not want to provide the neighborhood with free access nor have my house on a map. If Comacast thought that would be a good idea, then install and pay for the equipment themselves and allow me to provide access to my own house-guests.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 225 of 375

I've spoke w/a customer svc rep as well as been on chat requesting my hotspot to be disabled. Although you insists on that my hotspot is disabled, it is not. Please don't mistake me for a complete clueless nontechy individual. I along with several of my friends have tested to see if it's disabled by turning of the modem (and they lose connection) and turning back on (and they're back on) as well as the wifi light on the modem blinking rapidly when wifi is in use. 

No one even told me why I kept getting "sorry something went wrong... please try again later" message whenever I try to disable the hotspot. I was finally told on my last phone call that that feature was the available to me. That would've been very helpful as I've been trying for weeks to disable it. 

Please, do not try to fool me. Although you keep insisting my hotspot is already disabled, it is not. I don't want anyone using my modem as a hotspot. 

Posted by
Visitor

Message 226 of 375
Mine is also disabled but keeps broadcasting. I have a service appointment setup for Tuesday. Tim the unhelpful wireless Comcast rep claims I'm seeing my neighbors hotspot. hE can't explain why it turns off when I unplug my router. Comcast shouldn't blame others for their faulty equipment. If Comcast charges me for the service tech, I will be canceling my service. I'm convinced the xfinity hotspot is why my laptop loses connection every 10 minutes.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 227 of 375

Posted and sent pm to Jesse days ago, no response, xfinitywifi still open and on.

"How do I disable/enable the Home Hotspot feature?

We encourage all subscribers to keep this feature enabled as it allows more people to enjoy the benefits of XFINITY WiFi, but you will always have the ability to disable the XFINITY WiFi feature on your Wireless Gateway. Visit My Account at https://customer.comcast.com/, click on “Users & Preferences” and then select “Manage XFINITY WiFi” or call 1-800-XFINITY."

Sorry it is not working Comcast. Why am I providing & paying for internet access for the neighborhood, and the unusual amount of cars in front of my house since installation?

And what about the bandwidth monthly limit?? Not in your FAQ's. How nice of Comcast to charge you extra when you exceed your bandwidth, and put an open network broadcasting to the neighborhood coming out of the Comcast router in MY HOME!

I want this open network, on my paying account OFF!

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 228 of 375

Second request to disable my hot spot. My hot spot was disabled (or no one used it for a whole 24-hour period) for a whooping 24 hours and was enabled back yesterday. 

It's very simple to figure out if my modem is used as a hot spot. It really doesn't take a genius to test out the theory. Also, another thing that people should note that when you have absolutely no wireless devices connected the wifi light on the modem will stay solid. When someones using wifi, that light flickers rapidly. 

Please permanently disable my hot spot since the website won't let me do this.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 229 of 375

Just a heads up, anyone can start a class action lawsuit against Comcast for them using our electricity and not asking prior approval to use our resources for the hot spots.  They already have a class action suit open against them in California for this.

I would like my hot spot permanently shut off.  I gave no approval to use my electricity for this hot spot and my router.  

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 230 of 375

Google Search Comcast Lawsuit - Open Wifi

Problem is we, the customer cannot even turn it off, or control it in anyway now. Looks like I'll be putting this "Triple Play" modem into a metal box to try and kill the Comcasts open wifi signal. Still within my 30 day install, if xfinitywifi open network isn't disabled by that time, I'll be canceling and returning the equipment.

OP: "ComcastJesse" must of been fired, no response since page 4

Posted by
Contributor

Message 231 of 375

Love the HotSpot!  We had seven grandchildren visiting yesterday some were watching movies and playing games on their Ipads while others were using their smart phones. Great service..

I especially enjoy the 'electricity use' arguments that have been offered up. So I got out my trusty Kill-A-Watt meter and plugged 'Doris-the-'Dory' into it. Unfortunately, my meter just isn't sensitive enough to tell when the 'HotSpot' was in use. What are you guys reading? What equipment are you using?

Posted by
Visitor
Message 232 of 375

It seems that this "Something unexpected" error has been happening for YEARS. Why isn't it fixed yet?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 233 of 375

3rd request: please disable my hot spot. 

This is what I think is happening. Maybe you disable it but when I'm using wifi, the hot spot gets enabled again. 

Turn off my hot spot permanently. My hot spot is enabled right now.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 234 of 375

I have a Comcast owned TC8305C modem. I just bought a SBG 6580 Motorola modem from Amazon. No more hot spots for me and I will also save 8 bucks a month on modem rental. Smiley Happy

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 235 of 375

FWIW, that will work for those who do not also have CC's phone service.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 236 of 375

I would like to get rid of the Xfinity Hot spot connected with my account, but when I look under "preferences" there is no option to "manage Xfinity Wifi".

Posted by
Visitor

Message 237 of 375
I am not able to shut off the 'xfinitywifi' on my modem. The instructions on the website do not match the options in 'users and preferences' .
Please explain how to disable this.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 238 of 375

So I just used my wifi and again now the hotspot is enabled. Do I have to come here and request the hotspot to be turned off after I use wifi? This is ridiculous! Do something!

DISABLE HOTSPOT!

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 239 of 375

Watch your modem--it lights up like a Christmas tree when someone is using the hotspot.   

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 240 of 375

So I went a whole 4 days without using wifi and just used wifi today and what do you know? My hot spot is once again enable and wifi is flickering rapidly. 

TURN OFF MY HOTSPOT. You conned me into this triple play. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 241 of 375
Along with the xfinity hotspot, had other service problems during the last 3 weeks. I was not willing to deal with this for the next 2 years per contract. 30 day money back customer guarantee if canceled within 30 days of install/activation. Pulled equipment out and returned everything on day 29. Goodbye Comcast, and goodbye xfinity hotspot. Back with prior cable company under a new customer discounted rate.

You know,, a company can really go places, and make a name for themselves if they really listened to it's customers, and bent over backwards to solve problems. Rather than create more problems. What a diverse, goal oriented new concept that would truly be.
Posted by
Visitor
Message 242 of 375
Please disable my xfinity Wi-Fi hotspot.
Posted by
Visitor
Message 243 of 375

Please disable mine. Thanks so much!!

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 244 of 375

So, I just checked on my Users and Preferences page and the option to manage the XFINITY Wifi hotspot isn't there.  I've also tried different browsers and still nothing.  The option was there a few weeks back when I disabled the hotspot, and now it's gone and it seems that the hotspot is back on and I have no way of disabling it.  Did Comcast decide to change their policy on the hotspot without notifying anyone (like they did with their modem rental hike from $8 to $10)?

See the link for a screenshot of what I'm talking about.

http://oi57.tinypic.com/jikk77.jpg

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 245 of 375
Hey, Comcast. I've decided to charge you $125 per month for using my gateway as a public hot spot without my permission. I've already filed one FCC complaint (to which you have not responded); if you disconnect me, expect another one.
Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 246 of 375
Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 247 of 375

ATTENTION 

Your post was removed to a secure area out of public view because it violates forum posting guidelines.

Forum Guidelines state >>> clickable link http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Forum-Guidelines/Posting-Guidelines/td-p/866289 which everyone should read BEFORE making a first post

Please don't;

Post personal information in the forums

Please do your best to keep your identity and personal information safe. This includes:

Your full name <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Your telephone number <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Your Physical/Mailing Address <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Email addresses
Credit Card numbers
Account numbers <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Personal public IP addresses
Modem MAC address and / or serial number
Active phishing links
Other personally identifiable information

Here is your post with the information removed;

The latest:
Mr. Roberts:

My name is Tom XXXXXXXX, and I am a Comcast customer residing at XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. My account number is XXXXXXXXXXXXXX. You may reach me on XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

I discovered last year that Comcast was broadcasting a public WiFi hot spot from my gateway. When I first learned of this, I started checking online and found that I am not the only Comcast customer who believes this to be inexcusable. Yes, I know it's in my Terms and Conditions, which NOBODY reads, except the authors and the lawyers. It may be "legal" what you're doing, but it is unethical.

Upon discovering this unethical use of my service, I disabled the public hot spot and alerted all of my neighbors to do the same. I also filed a complaint with the FCC, to which I received a voice mail from one of your folks. I returned to voice mail, to no avail; I've heard nothing since last year.

I have decided to charge Comcast $125 per month for the unethical usage. Since that's about the amount of my bill, I would appreciate it if you would zero out my balance. If you disconnect my service, expect the wrath of God to rain down on your company.

Comcast is the most widely reviled company in the U. S. I'm certain you've asked "why?" Call me and I'll tell you. Oh, and the gateway keeps disconnecting, even with the public hot spot disabled, so my service just sucks in general. As soon as AT&T offers wireless broadband, I'm gone.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Tom XXXXXXXXXXX

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 248 of 375

ComcastJesse: Please disable the xfinitywifi on my home modem.

Thanks!

--Matt

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 249 of 375

FWIW Comcast Jessie has not been around the boards since 12/12/14.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 250 of 375

Buy your own modem. Bought me a SBG 6580 from Amazon and got rid of comcast phone. Hello Magicjack.