online now

discussions

Xfinity HotSpot FAQs

SOLVED
Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 101 of 375

tennvolsgal72 wrote:

Please help. I've been trying to disable the hotspot for 2 weeks and always get this message:

"We're sorry. Something unexpected happened. Please try again later."

I had gotten that stupid msg also.  After looking at it & swearing, I just "clicked" it again & it worked to "disable" the hot spot.  Don't recycle the page or anything else, just hit that mouse button again.

Then join to ask why the gateway still shows xfininitywifi network still as "active" even if the hotspot map doesn't.

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 102 of 375

Tennvolsgal72,

Your hotspot has been disabled.

Thanks!

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 103 of 375

Mattson4,

I seem to be running into any issue connecting to your gateway. Is the device plugged? Up and running?

Thanks!

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 104 of 375

I followed the instructions at the top of this post about a year ago and successfully disabled the xfinitywifi hotspot.  Unfortunately, within the past week, it came back.  And, now I get an error message when trying to open the "Manage XFINITY WiFi" link.

Seems like something changed recently.  Did this manual request posted here work?

Posted by
Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 105 of 375

This is not entirly true, Once you logon with your credentials you can NOT log the device out. I logged on to my comcast accout  on a friends laptop so he could download an update, now the computer just logs on to any Xfinity wifi hotspot. We have tried everthing to disconnect it. I changed user name and password logged off my desktop etc, but it seems it binds the devices MAC address to your account without being able to remove it! So if you logon to say your laptop, decide to selll the laptop, yep the account logon goes with it. GREAT JOB COMCAST!

Posted by
Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 106 of 375

I can not answer all your questions and I know this was for Jessi but

Is the automatic logging on to XFINITY WiFi keyed off MAC addresses? YES!!!!!

Once a device is logged in you can not log off. As I found this out by allowing a friend log on to mine to update. Guess what no way for it to be logged off. We tried everything we could think of, we even went as far as restoring the computer to factory and guess what!? YEP the PC still logs in to comcast wifi. Does not logon to my account but he no longer needs to enter a password or user name. So this tell us its bound to my account because I am a paid subscriber to Comcast. If this were not the case he would need to purchase blocks of time Xfinity is selling. I think i'll create a new user name and password and share it with my 1000's of friends on social media, then maybe they'll make it right or ill just be switch to u-Verse this week. ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!!!!!

Posted by
Contributor

Message 107 of 375
ComcastJesse - Yes it is plugged in and running.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 108 of 375
Here are some good points about why the xfinitywifi is a bad idea:

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2476444/mobile-security/comcast-xfinity-wifi--just-say-no.html

And I agree there definitely needs to be a way to log out of it or unauthorize your device.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 109 of 375

As far as I can tell, C141Clay, thongpam is the name that a family of Vietnamese neighbors gave their wireless network.

Look like? Well normal people I think. LOL

I'll drop you a private message with my prefered email to take this "off" the boards.

Cordially,

Gerry

C141Clay wrote:

to Gerry

Hi there,

I am sorry, I pretty much dorked that comment.  Sorry if I sounded snarky.  i thought I was replying to someone who listed themselves an an "IT expert".

I am using the same 'wifi analyzer" app as you.  It's rather nice on a tablet.  

I am retired USAF, 10 years out for me, and while I was an engineer, your field sounds like more fun.

Thanks for writing back and letting me know what was what.   

-Clay 

(C141B FE)

So...  What does "thongpam" look like?  200+ Lbs?  I laughed when I read that.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 110 of 375

Ok, after a few weeks of wifi issues I checked out the wifi in my house and found the hotspot channels that Comcast turned on. I was able to turn the xfinitywifi signal off after a number of errors from the website but the signal without the SSID reminas on.

How do I get the signal without the SSID turned off?

Posted by
Visitor

Message 111 of 375

I noticed some signal reduction the last few days and disconnecting...so I checked out my WIFI analyzer and noticed 3 signals coming from my router. I was able to shut off the xfinity hotspot as mentioned above, but the mysterious second "no name" ssid is still transmitting, even after I shut off my wifi! Any help or tips on how to get rid of this?

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 112 of 375

Hi there,

I just disabled what appears to be another open connection on your gateway. Did this make that mysterious network vanish?

Thanks!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 113 of 375
I have the exact same issue at Fox2Fox2. Can you turn it off?
Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 114 of 375

Hi there,

I applied the same change to your gateway as well. Can you let me know if that connection is still there?

Thanks!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 115 of 375

ComcastJesse: Please disable the xfinitywifi on my home modem.

Several months ago I was able to disable it myself, and it stayed off for all those months till about a week ago when it showed up again.  I'm not sure what happened, but the instructions at the top of this thread do not work, I get an error message "We're sorry. Something unexpected happened."  every time I try.  I've found that my iPhone seems to select the xfinitywifi over my personal, and secured wifi.  My personal wifi is faster, and the one I'd prefer to use always at home.  I can manually switch to it, but that is a pain I often forget to do.  I have no need for the xfinitywifi, and very much want to eliminate it.

Is there anything you need to know more to effect this disablement?

Thanks

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 116 of 375

Hi there,

I disabled your Hotspot as well.

Do you still see it?

Thanks!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 117 of 375

Well now, my personal hot spot is also disabled.  Do I have to reinitiate it?

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 118 of 375

Hi there,

The only Hotspot I disabled was the one in the gateway. No other changes were made to anything else.

I'm assuming the answer to your question is yes. But I don't know what you mean by your personal home hotspot.

Thanks!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 119 of 375

Sorry, I had set up a secure WiFi hot spot, with security and that is the one I was using.  Somewhere along the line Comcast turned on a second WiFi network with SSID: xfinitywifi.  That is the one I wanted turned off.  I wanted my own Secured SSID to continue to work.  And, now it is not, and the Wifi light on the front of my modem/router/wifi gateway is turned off.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 120 of 375

ComcastJesse,

I might have made a confusing request.  I did not want my entire Gateway WiFi disabled, only the second SSID broadcast under the name xfinitywifi.  I wanted to continue to use the gateway for the WiFi I had set up, and named SSID: SkyIsland, and added security.  I fear I wasn't clear enough, it appears you have disabled all wifi from my Arris modem/gateway/wifi access point.

I guess, I need to ask you to re-enable Wifi on my gateway.  Sorry

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 121 of 375

Hmmm...

I just sent a provisioning signal over to your gateway. The gateway should be rebooting. Can you test your connection after the gateway powers completely on?

Thanks!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 122 of 375

Tested, verified, my personal Wifi SSID: Sky Island is working again, thank you!  And, the SSID: xfinitywifi is no longer visable.  So, thank you for that too.

Sorry if I confused things, but the reprovisioning seems to have restored me to how I want it.

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 123 of 375

Hi there,

Ok! Good! I'm glad we have you up and going now.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Thanks!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 124 of 375

Know how you feel.....terrible.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 125 of 375

Hi Jesse - Let me know how to send you my info and what info you need to try to get rid of the blind SSID. I just looked and the blind SSID is still there.

Thanks

Posted by
Visitor

Message 126 of 375

how do i disable the hot spot on my wifi? I tried to do this online and i keep getting a pop up that tells me that something went wrong and i can not access the manage wifi area?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 127 of 375

Go to page one and start reading.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 128 of 375

I've been following this for some time now even though it worked for me the very first try. I got to thinking, why did it work for me and everyone else is having such a hard time? At first I had the TC8305C and it was horrible! Every time I put a load on it and turned my back on it the phone started ringing. My people I share with would report no internet. I tried everything but I finally gave up and took it in and exchanged it for a TG862G-CT. Have not had a single problem out of it. I only use Chrome web browser and, the first time I saw where Jesse described how to turn off the hotspot, I tried it and it worked. I don't know if any of you are running that crappy router I had at first but if you are, I would take it back and get the TG862G-CT. Hope this helps.

Pat

Posted by
Visitor

Message 129 of 375

Dear Comcast,

Please turn off my Xfinity HotSpot! I tried to turn it off on my online account but kept getting an error message.

Thank you!

update,,, finally got this to work,, turned it off,, now now one can use it,, i dont want any one piggybacking off my power

Posted by
Contributor

Message 130 of 375
ComcastJesse,
The (?) ssid is gone. Thank you. Haven't noticed any disconnects or limited internet today - will keep monitoring.

When I run wifi analyzer I see that many neighbors have the (?) ssid in addition to their regular ssid. I only see one xfinitywifi in my area right now. What is the (?) ssid and could it have something to do with the problems? How did you disable it?
Posted by
Visitor

Message 131 of 375

Hello Jesse,

When I attempt to disable Xfinity Hotspot, I receive the following message:

"You will not be able to enable or disable the XFINITY WiFi Home Hotspot feature as you do not have an eligible XFINITY Wireless Gateway in your home."

Please disable my Xfinity Hotspot and all WiFi connections.

Thank you,

Edward

Posted by
Contributor

Message 132 of 375

Hi ComcastJesse--I was wondering how I can see what open connections are on my gateway? Maybe you need ot bump this to its own thread. I wasn't sure. Thanks!

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 133 of 375

alcal_NH wrote:

Hi Jesse - Let me know how to send you my info and what info you need to try to get rid of the blind SSID. I just looked and the blind SSID is still there.

Thanks

Hi there,

I show that your hotspot has been disabled.

Thanks!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 134 of 375

shawnsadowski wrote:

Dear Comcast,

Please turn off my Xfinity HotSpot! I tried to turn it off on my online account but kept getting an error message.

Thank you!

update,,, finally got this to work,, turned it off,, now now one can use it,, i dont want any one piggybacking off my power

Hello,

I just double checked your account and show that your hotspot is still disabled.

Thanks!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 135 of 375

mattson4 wrote:
ComcastJesse,
The (?) ssid is gone. Thank you. Haven't noticed any disconnects or limited internet today - will keep monitoring.

When I run wifi analyzer I see that many neighbors have the (?) ssid in addition to their regular ssid. I only see one xfinitywifi in my area right now. What is the (?) ssid and could it have something to do with the problems? How did you disable it?

Hi Jesse1992,

Unfortunately, it appears to be a toggle that you may not have access to yet. Basically, I had to disable another connection from my end here. Normally it stays active (yet hidden) for Xfinity Home Secuirty customers, but I've never seen it actually broadcast until recently. I'm doublechecking with out engineering group to see what's going on.

Thanks!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 136 of 375

MBiker wrote:

Hello Jesse,

When I attempt to disable Xfinity Hotspot, I receive the following message:

"You will not be able to enable or disable the XFINITY WiFi Home Hotspot feature as you do not have an eligible XFINITY Wireless Gateway in your home."

Please disable my Xfinity Hotspot and all WiFi connections.

Thank you,

Edward

Hi there,

The device you have does not have a Hotspot functionality attached to it. This is why you are receiving the message above.

Thanks!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 137 of 375

Hi Jesse,

Thanks. I disabled the xfinitywifi signal a few days ago but the BSSID remined on. It seems that you were able to turn that off since it was still on early this morning but now appears to be gone.

Is that something customers do not have access to?

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 138 of 375

Hi there,

Unfortunately, this new network that customers are seeing doesn't appear to be able to be accessed from the customers end quite yet. I don't know why this network is now broadcasting for some users, but I am seeking out answers.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 139 of 375

We would all love to know those answers when you get them Jesse ! Happy Turkey Day !

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 140 of 375
We got the new Xfinity modem with wifi, voice and data. Very happy with it's performance, until a couple of days ago the public access xfinity wifi showed up.

After the public access started broadcasting, our wireless printers and internet phone (which I have yet to figure that one out) started having problems. Then I find out this mysterious "hot spot" is being broadcast by our modem! I verified by powering our modem down and both our private home network and the public Xfinity Wifi dropped out of the list at the same moment. Power the modem back up and they both came back up at the same time.

Has Comcast considered the following??

While this hotspot is enabled anyone can use my modem for surfing porn, underground sites for shady activities, pedophilia, terroristic wanna-bes, or religious material that is not in keeping with my faith, or hackers wanting to to steal identities I have no say but ALL the liability.

It turns my stomach to think my neighbor's kids could now circumvent some of the security settings their Mom and Dad have set up.

The list goes on and this is absolutely wrong on many levels.

Comcast, we just wanted a modem. We didn't ask for built in wifi, but decided to give it a try and have found that Comcast is willing to fundamentally challenge our privacy and principles.

I know, I know there's a disclosure, fine print, EULA and what not but that is not the end all be all interpretation and I think Comcast has gone WAY over the line with this and opened the door to very disgruntled customers and possibly many law suits.

After many attempts to disable the xfinity hotspot via "Manage Xfinity WiFi" I did get it to work. I confirmed via Safari on my IPad, it's no longer in the network list.

It took many attempts and logging out and back into my account.

If this "hotspot" rears it's head on my list again we will consider a new modem from another vendor or will look into switching ISPs.

Comcast should really reconsider the whole idea of these "hotspots hosted by private citizens" the unintended consequences of opening up modems in private homes could back fire, big time.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 141 of 375

I don't have an Xfinity modem. But, apparently a neighbor does, since an unsecured Hotspot has recently shown up on my Available Networks control.

I use an app called Fing on my iPad Air to monitor my wireless network. About the same time the neighbor's Hotspot showed up, Fing started having issues correctly identifying my home netwrok and the devices connected to it. After trading email with Fing support, it looks like this unsecured Xfinity Hotspot is acting as a second Access Point, completely confusing Fing.

I'm just putting this out here as another strike against Xfinity and their stupid hijacking of people's internet connection.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 142 of 375

I live in Alabama, and converted over to the Xfinity Triple play a few months back.  Comcast sent me a Technicolor TC8305C, which I was successful in setting up and using.  On 11/20/2014, I looked at my phone network connections, and noticed XFINITYWIFI as a selection.  As I check my network connections on a regular basis, it "jumped" at me since I had never seen it before in my home.  My first thought was that a neighbor had installed Comcast, but I called the closest ones and neither had changed anything regarding their broadband provider.  So, I looked more closely, and determined that MY gateway was the culprit.  I logged into my Account, to follow the directions for turning the hotspot off.  There was NO selection under Users and Preferences for "Manage Xfinitywifi".  So, I logged onto the gateway under the ADMIN id to see if there was a way to disable it there, which there wasn't.  I have a difficult time understanding WHY Comcast would want to set up a hotspot in my gateway, since the wifi signal currently will not reach outside the confines of my house!  Anyway, while logged into the gateway, I inadvertently messed up the configuration, and had to get online with a Comcast support rep to straighten out the error.  While the rep was "testing" my gateway, the hotspot mysteriously disappeared.  I had mentioned that it's appearance had prompted me to log onto the gateway, so I suppose the rep decided I was going to complaing about it and disabled it.  I am in the process of installing another router to get a better signal in my home, so I hope I don't have any other issues with the hotspot returning!

Posted by
Visitor

Message 143 of 375

I cannot turn off Xfinity Wifi at "Manage XFINITY WIFI"; keep getting error message. Please disable.

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 144 of 375

coppertop14 wrote:

I cannot turn off Xfinity Wifi at "Manage XFINITY WIFI"; keep getting error message. Please disable.

Your hotspot has been disabled as requested.

Thanks!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 145 of 375

You guys gotta seriously do something with the unexpected error issue on your website when trying to deactivate this service. That fact and the fact that it always makes its way back even after calling Comcast makes it appear as if Comcast is giving you no other option but to leave it active.

I noticed download speeds increase over wifi while not active but Comcast insists it does not have any effect. Could it cause an issue with channel interferance?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 146 of 375

Just so I'm clear about this Comcast Hotspot stuff...Comcast cannot push a hotspot onto customer-purchased 3rd-party modems and routers, correct? I ask, because, I am suddenly seeing my router carrying two IPs on the same node...10.0.1.1 and 10.0.1.4. This just showed up today and I cannot explain it.

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 147 of 375

JimC wrote:

Just so I'm clear about this Comcast Hotspot stuff...Comcast cannot push a hotspot onto customer-purchased 3rd-party modems and routers, correct? I ask, because, I am suddenly seeing my router carrying two IPs on the same node...10.0.1.1 and 10.0.1.4. This just showed up today and I cannot explain it.

Don't know if this will explain it, but the wifi analyzer also see 2 signals from my router.  As the router is a dual-band router (2.4 ghz & 5 ghz), I think that both bands are sending signals even if I am not broadcasting my ssid; it's unlike the xfinitywifi that I've disabled.

When I use the Nexus 7 to check, wifi analyzer shows the tablet's connection to the 5 ghz band & the 2.4 ghz has a "?" associated to it.  When I ust the Asus Memo Pad to run the wifi analyzer, the tablet's connection shown is to the 2.4 ghz & it looks like the 5 ghz has the "?" associated with it since neither band is broadcasted.

However, both bands have only 1 ip associated with my connection; but both bands run in different channels as the 2.4 ghz use ch 11 & my 5 ghz used ch 153; then the band with the "?" doesn't have the channel displayed.....

Oh, I have the 862 in bridged mode & may be using a different wifi analyzer from some people....

Posted by
Visitor

Message 148 of 375

Getting an error...Could you please turn off the Hotspot, Thanks.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 149 of 375

ComcastJesse

Can you please disable my xfinitywifi hotspot.

Thank you.

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 150 of 375

Can you please disable my Xfinity hotspot Jesse? Thank you!