New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

XFINITY xFi

Posted by
Administrator

Message 5 of 49

Today, 05/08/17, Comcast launched Xfinity xFi, a new and personalized Wi-Fi experience that provides a simple digital dashboard for customers to set up their home Wi-Fi network, find their password, see what devices are connected, troubleshoot issues, set parental controls and even pause Wi-Fi access on their home network during dinner or bedtime. xFi gives customers unprecedented visibility and control over one of the most important technologies in their home.

7. Xfinity-xFi-x1-overview.jpg

The xFi experience can be controlled via a mobile app, website and on the TV with the X1 voice remote. To get started, customers simply need to visit www.xfinity.com/myxfi or download the xFi app (for iOS and Android). xFi is now available to the 10 million Xfinity Internet customers with a compatible Xfinity WiFi device - the xFi Wireless Gateway or the xFi Advanced Gateway - and comes at no extra cost.

6. Xfinity-xFi-app-mobile-general.jpg

Compatible Devices:

• Arris 1682G
  • Cisco 3941T
  • Arris TG3482G

*To determine the type of Gateway you have, check the make and model information located on the bottom of your device or sign in to My Account and select Devices to

Getting Started:

Download the XFINITY xFi app for free from the Apple App Store or Google Play, or go to xfinity.com/myxFi and sign in with your XFINITY username and password. You must sign in as a primary or unrestricted secondary user to access xFi. You can also access the xFi web portal from my.xfinity.com. Simply select the WiFi icon from the top menu on the right-hand side.

XFINITY xFi features include:

XFINITY xFi benefits include:

• Instant Setup: Simple, easy setup of Xfinity Internet service and home Wi-Fi
  • Manage On Any Device: Take control with easy-to-use apps, the web, and X1 voice remote
  • Find My Password: View and modify Wi-Fi names and passwords
  • Name & Organize: See all connected devices and give nicknames for easy reference
  • Easy-To-Use Tools: Set parental controls and bedtime schedules for any family member on the home Wi-Fi network
  • Who’s Using What: Create personal profiles and assign devices to individual family members
  • Text Alerts: Receive alerts when new devices join your home network
  • Pause With A Tap: Instantly pause Wi-Fi access on your home network, by device or user
  • Voice Control: Say "show me devices" into the X1 voice remote and see results on the biggest screen in the home
  • Monitor Activity: See who’s most active on your home network and when
  • Troubleshoot Wi-Fi: Identify devices that are not working properly and receive tips to fix them
  • Cloud Management: See and control your home Wi-Fi network from anywhere
  • Safe & Secure: First line of defense against phishing and malware

Later this year, Comcast will launch no-configuration, adaptive xFi pods that can be paired with either the xFi Wireless Gateway or the xFi Advanced Gateway, which will help customers extend their Wi-Fi coverage to even the most remote areas of their homes. The company has made an investment in Plume, a leading developer of distributed Wi-Fi software and systems, and is working with them to combine the technologies of Plume and xFi into a unified experience that improves throughput and consistency to individual devices and provides even easier and more seamless whole-home Wi-Fi coverage.

For additional information about XFINITY xFi see here: http://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/news-feed/comcast-introduces-xfinity-xfi

If you have questions, comments, or concerns about XFINITY xFi, please let us know here. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
48 REPLIES
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 1 of 49

Trying to use the new Xfinity Xfi app as well as trying to access it on the xfinity website to no avail. I have a compatible gateway (Cisco DPC3941T) so that is not the issue. Both the app and the website says "Settings Not Available". Any thoughts? I attached 2 pics. Thanks.

Xfi.PNGXfi -2.PNG

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 2 of 49

Having the same issue.  Any response?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 3 of 49

Mine is working now. Gateway was updated from 2.3 to new version 2.5 software this morning and everything works great. It must take the v.2.5 software to make it work.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 4 of 49
I'm having the same problem.My xfi was fixed on Tuesday and worked one day and now it's down again.Tech came out and said it was my box,so it was replaced.We are back to the same problem.
Posted by
Admin1

Message 6 of 49

kavin94 wrote:
I'm having the same problem.My xfi was fixed on Tuesday and worked one day and now it's down again.Tech came out and said it was my box,so it was replaced.We are back to the same problem.

Has this continued to happen for you or did the issue solved itself? 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 7 of 49

Having same issue....unable to get settings either via the app or the web site......

Posted by
Admin1

Message 8 of 49

darrinjude wrote:

Having same issue....unable to get settings either via the app or the web site......

Make sure that the user name you are using is the primary account or an unrestricted secondary. If you are the primary account holder or a unrestricted secondary, you might need to verify and see if you have the necessary equipment for the service. If you do then try doing a reboot of the modem as it could potentially have an older firmware. Let me know if this helps. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 9 of 49

I'm the primary account holder and I have the Cisco DPC3941T router so that's not the issue.  I rebooted the modem about a month ago to get higher speeds.  I can try the reboot again.  Can I do a soft reboot or do I have to disconnect the power from the modem?

Posted by
Admin1

Message 10 of 49

darrinjude wrote:

I'm the primary account holder and I have the Cisco DPC3941T router so that's not the issue.  I rebooted the modem about a month ago to get higher speeds.  I can try the reboot again.  Can I do a soft reboot or do I have to disconnect the power from the modem?

Yeah, you will need to disconnect the power from the modem then. Can you try doing this, and let me know if it still continues after? 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 11 of 49

FWIW, if it has a back-up battery installed in it, you will need to remove that too for a powercycle operation. Otherwise a quick 2 second press of the reset button (with it powered up) should do the same thing.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 12 of 49

OK, I'll try that.  Will let you know....

Posted by
Visitor

Message 13 of 49

How do I get "Managed devices and Port Forwarding pages are moved to cloud." back out of the cloud?

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 14 of 49
You can't. It's there for good now. It's only controlled by the online portal and the app now.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 15 of 49

No luck......disconnected power from router and rebooted.....still getting error message that my settings cannot be loaded....

Posted by
Admin1

Message 16 of 49

darrinjude wrote:

No luck......disconnected power from router and rebooted.....still getting error message that my settings cannot be loaded....

Can you try accessing the site using a different browser? If not can you try checking the app once more? 

Here you can find some info on how to activate the gateway with the Xfinity XFI mobile App. This is just so that you get familiar to how it looks. 
https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/activate-xfi-gateway-app/ 

On this link below you can see the steps to getting started XFI. 
https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/xfinity-xfi-overview/

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 17 of 49

Tried Chrome, IE and Firefox.....none work.  App still not working.  According to the documentation, I don't need to activate the gateway because I already have the proper hardware.  Neither the app nor the web site give me the activate option anyway.  Ideas?

Posted by
Visitor

Message 18 of 49

I'm having the same issue.  Customer Rep said I needed the new Advanced Gateway xFi modem since the DPC3941T was having issues.  The only way to get a new one is through the Comcast Store.  The employees at the Comcast Store said that they don't have this new modem and that it normally takes weeks for them to get new equipment. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 19 of 49

I don't think the modem is having issues, I think the solution is having issues.  It was only just rolled out 3 days ago, so some issues are understandable, but it doesn't feel like this solution was thoroughly tested with currently deployed hardware.  It certainly isn't ready for GA.  I get it that there may be difficulties accessing this particular type of modem, but telling customers they need to get a different modem isn't the answer.  The answer is fixing the solution.  Odd that the "My Account" app and it's related functions on the web site seem to work fine when accessing these modems.  (I do get it that it's different information they are accessing.)

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 20 of 49

Would those xFi pods be free of charge when they get rolled out or will there be a charge for them? Im assuming you guys are probably going to charge per xFi pod.

Posted by
Admin1

Message 21 of 49

darrinjude wrote:

Tried Chrome, IE and Firefox.....none work.  App still not working.  According to the documentation, I don't need to activate the gateway because I already have the proper hardware.  Neither the app nor the web site give me the activate option anyway.  Ideas?

Thank you for the details. We are working on making some corrections on our end that should help with your issue. Please know that your current device does support xFI, this is actually the same modem I currently have at home and it works without problem. The team that handles these type of issues is looking into your problem and should have a resolution in place soon. I will update you once we have it fixed. 

jaabreu wrote:

I'm having the same issue.  Customer Rep said I needed the new Advanced Gateway xFi modem since the DPC3941T was having issues.  The only way to get a new one is through the Comcast Store.  The employees at the Comcast Store said that they don't have this new modem and that it normally takes weeks for them to get new equipment. 

There is no need to swap out the equipment, your current device does support the xFI. We are making some corrections from our end that should be able to solve this problem you are having. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 22 of 49

will a Plume Wi-Fi pod work now? 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 23 of 49

Very good.  Please let us know when the fix is in place and I'll try it again.

Posted by
Official Employee
  • To commemorate the attendance of the Forum Summit 2017

Message 24 of 49
dlcrouch wrote:

will a Plume Wi-Fi pod work now? 

Yes, you can use Plume pods. However, at this time, they are not integrated with xFi, meaning you can't manage them through the xFi web portal, mobile app or the xFi app on X1.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 25 of 49

Hi Kate. Welcome. FWIW, you should quote the poster that you are responding to.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Admin1

Message 26 of 49

darrinjude wrote:

Just wanted to update you on this, for an immediate resolution we will need to do a factory reset on your device. The only problem with doing a factory reset, is that you will lose any of the current settings you have enabled for the gateway like your network name, password, port forwarding, etc. The team is still working on a fix that wont require you to do a factory reset but it will take some time before the correction is in place and pushed out. I can always update you once I have more info. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 27 of 49

Thanks for the update.  I don't want to do a factory reset.  I have too many devices and systems on my home network to go and change all of their settings, etc.  Please let me know when the longer term solution is in place......

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 28 of 49

I can access Xfinity xFi Using Internet Explorer browser, but I can't access it with Microsoft Edge browser. Any suggestions as I only user the Edge browser.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 29 of 49

7bpc wrote:

I can access Xfinity xFi Using Internet Explorer browser, but I can't access it with Microsoft Edge browser. Any suggestions as I only user the Edge browser.

This link says there should be a wifi icon on Edge but mine doesn't have it.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/xfinity-xfi-overview/

This needs to be escalated to Comcast.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 30 of 49

I was having continuous problems with the new app when it was first activated too.  I had to completely uninstall the app from my phone and all computers in the house. One of the other issues that I was having was that it would only allow my computer to connect to an unsecure xfinitity hotspot.  I have not put it back on my systems yet as I am still having issues with my systems working with the upgrades that I installed on my computer and the upgrades on the internet network.  For information purposes I have Windows 10 Pro Enterprise Ed and Office 365 Pro with a virtual network in setup mode.  Because both of my computer and phone systems are in pre-release mode the assumption is that there is a conflict between the app and the security in the operating systems.  Which I can say is true shutdown your windows essential firewall and try and see if that helps.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 31 of 49

Customer service and tech support factory reset my device 15 times it didn't fix it, as long as that app is in place it blocks my internet access through wifi.  I have had a tech at the house three times, modem reset and restored quite a few times, even completing factory restored any other connected device.  Nothing worked I have a suspisicion that it may have something to do with IPv6 protocol and the imbedded security protocols in all systems nowadays but that is just my input.  

ComcastFrancisc wrote:

darrinjude wrote:

Just wanted to update you on this, for an immediate resolution we will need to do a factory reset on your device. The only problem with doing a factory reset, is that you will lose any of the current settings you have enabled for the gateway like your network name, password, port forwarding, etc. The team is still working on a fix that wont require you to do a factory reset but it will take some time before the correction is in place and pushed out. I can always update you once I have more info. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 32 of 49

So, someone from Comcast called me at 10:30p last night to work on this issue.  I'm sorry, but I have better things to do at 10:30p on a Friday night than to debug Comcast's IT issues.  Smiley Happy  Anyway, they said they would call back today and haven't heard a peep.....

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 33 of 49

Good to know the factory reset doesn't work.....glad I'm holding out for a better solution.  Hope you get fully operational again!

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 34 of 49

The web site doesn't work with Win 10 Edge.

http://my.xfinity.com/

The wireless icon is missing from the top line on the right.  It's there for 

https://internet.xfinity.com/ does not work and it works with Win 10 IE11.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Admin1

Message 35 of 49

darrinjude wrote:

Good to know the factory reset doesn't work.....glad I'm holding out for a better solution.  Hope you get fully operational again!

It can work for some customers depending on the problem, but not for other issues. The engineering team found a fix for your issue, but they are currently testing it to ensure it does not cause other problems. I still don't have any estimated time for when the fix will go live, but I will make sure to update you here. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 36 of 49

Looks like it's working for me now.....both the app and via Chrome.  Nice functionality.  It would be nice if it could also provide information on other wireless networks that have been setup via the same modem.....

Posted by
Admin1

Message 37 of 49

darrinjude wrote:

Looks like it's working for me now.....both the app and via Chrome.  Nice functionality.  It would be nice if it could also provide information on other wireless networks that have been setup via the same modem.....

Great,they implemented a fix today for the problem you were having. That was a very quick turn around from the XFI team, usually for things like this it can take a bit longer. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 38 of 49

Will there be a fix for Microsoft Edge?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 39 of 49

Xfinity has created a new mobile app entitled Xfi. This app is supposed to give users greater control over their WiFi network. After regeristering for the app you are supposed to list authorized users of your WiFi network and then associate the various devices that have been cleared to use the network with each listed user. 

When I try to associate devices with users the app shows me the beginning of a number that identifies the device. However I have no clue what the number is. It isn't the beginning of the MAC address which is the number we use to register devices in the modem/router software. and the number isn't long enough to identify what the number is. So how do we identify each ddevice so we can associate it with an authorized user?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 40 of 49

I downloaded the new Xfi. The network that is indicated as mine is a different name and shows a different password than mine. The network name shown does not show up as an available network. Why is my network not what Xfi is listing?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 41 of 49
XFi works fine on my home equipment and Android phone.
Gateway is Arris tg1682g w/triple play and X1 home DVR and small remote satellite hd boxes.
Phone is Galaxy S5 running Marshmallow.
I ready had been using the Xfinity app on my phone for X1 and gateway equipment troubleshoot ability and gateway login access for wifi troubleshoot and channel choosing.
Now with XFi, the Xfinity account app erased the ability to log into 10.0.0.1 into gateway via app and overwrote that advanced app feature with xf1 that takes me right to the seperate XFi app now. Only way to access gateway login via 10.0.0.1 is to use a web browser and type it in. I liked the previous way of being able to access gateway 10.0.0.1 via Xfinity account app better than having both apps solely using XFi .
Please put back in the Xfinity app, under advanced options, the link to access gateway login page. This was a great feature before and I used it all the time to troubleshoot and even see how long ago my gateway rebooted itself. Invaluable for knowing if problems Are reoccurring.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 42 of 49

If you scroll down to the bottom in th device panel, there is a Device Details right arrow.  That has the MAC Address, among other things. 

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 43 of 49

soundslike a great idea except you have to have Comcast equipment and the rental fee attached. Should at least be available as a priced option or even free for people who own thier own equipment.

Thanks

Posted by
Visitor
Message 44 of 49

I have several questions.  I will try not to garble them all together.  Today, I began to install xFi, but quickly received a message that I needed to upgrade both my modem and my cable box.

1) First the modem.  I have two, one on each of two separate cable lines into my house.  I have a retail box (i.e., I own it) Motorola SB6141 in the upstairs room with the cable box and the TV.  I have an Arris 1682G downstairs that is wired to my phone and to an ASUS router.

A) Can I simply swap the positions of the two routers for the purpose of getting xFi to work?  I am aware that the swap may cause other issues with other devices, but I am willing to figure that out later.

Will I need to have Comcast zap my boxes again once they are connected, or should they simply work once they are wired and booted?

C) Assuming a signal is necessary, what is the best way to do this?  Do I need to call the 800 number, or is some easier way?

2) Next, the cable box.  The online "Review Equipment" says I need to replace my PA PX013ANM with an X1 TV box.  I thought my PA PX013ANM was an X1 TV box.  Am I missing something here?  Will it be sufficient to simply swap the two modem locations to enable xFi capacity?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 45 of 49

I have an Arris TG862G modem from Comcast, so I would need to upgrade the device for Xfi. When I tried to order new equipment, a message said that I didn't qualify (or some similar word) for the upgraded equipment. Can you enlighten me about possible reason(s) for this? Is it the market I'm in, which is Savoy, IL, a small village adjacent to Champaign, IL? Is it the bundle I have, HD Complete XF? Something else?

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 46 of 49

I swapped out my DPC3939 gateway for the Cisco 3941 so that I could start using the xFi app. I have called Comcast 4 or 5 times in the last few days and no one is able to solve my problem.  After I launch the app on my phone and enter my wifi info and submit it, about 5 minutes later it keeps telling me that it cannot find my gateway.  When I enter the app on my DVR or try to set up xFi online, it keeps telling me that I need to upgrade my equipment.  I just swapped the gateway out yesterday - am I supposed to wait for the billing to catch up?  Thank you for any suggestions.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 47 of 49

UK1 wrote:

I downloaded the new Xfi. The network that is indicated as mine is a different name and shows a different password than mine. The network name shown does not show up as an available network. Why is my network not what Xfi is listing?

I asked the team that handles these types of issues to look into this. I will update you once I hear back. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 48 of 49

mbrandt151 wrote:

I have an Arris TG862G modem from Comcast, so I would need to upgrade the device for Xfi. When I tried to order new equipment, a message said that I didn't qualify (or some similar word) for the upgraded equipment. Can you enlighten me about possible reason(s) for this? Is it the market I'm in, which is Savoy, IL, a small village adjacent to Champaign, IL? Is it the bundle I have, HD Complete XF? Something else?

I asked the team that handles these types of issues to look into this. I will update you once I hear back.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 49 of 49

BigKahuna2 wrote:

I swapped out my DPC3939 gateway for the Cisco 3941 so that I could start using the xFi app. I have called Comcast 4 or 5 times in the last few days and no one is able to solve my problem.  After I launch the app on my phone and enter my wifi info and submit it, about 5 minutes later it keeps telling me that it cannot find my gateway.  When I enter the app on my DVR or try to set up xFi online, it keeps telling me that I need to upgrade my equipment.  I just swapped the gateway out yesterday - am I supposed to wait for the billing to catch up?  Thank you for any suggestions.

Once you complete the activation of the new Gateway using the xFi mobile app you should be able to access the xFi experience from the mobile app, online and through X1. The team was working on a fix for this very issue that you experienced. I believe it should be in place within the next day or so. I will follow up and let you know once it is resolved.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.