Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Wireless router

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 7 (1,080 Views)

Wireless router

I have Comcast Triple Play. Arris TM602G/CT voice & data modem. Motorola wireless router sb5101. I have been constantly getting knocked off the 'Net. When I hook up directly from the Arris modem to my laptop, then the Internet is ALWAYS on. When I connect thru my Motorola wireless router, then I am not getting good service. Is this because of the wireless router or should I upgrade to the new DOCSIS 3.0 data modem for the new IPv6/speeds? I lease my modem from Comcast for $7.00 per month. Will I have to actually buy a new DOCSIS 3.0 modem? If it is the router, will I have to buy a new router? If these new speeds have caused people with the older modems to have problems, then why didn't Comcast warn us? Can I resolve all this thru my local Comcast office? I need to fix this as my printer is wireless and as long as I am hooked up going around the wireless router, then I can not print (w/o a diff. printer set-up).

Help, MLAsher

6 REPLIES
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 2 of 7 (1,069 Views)

Re: Wireless router

Could you double-check the router brand and model? "SB5101" is a modem.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 3 of 7 (1,036 Views)

To: BruceW: The router is MyEssentials "Wireless G Router" from Comcast. I got the sb5101 from the Comcast site. My problem is solved. I used the solution given to "MominSeabrook" which was: CP>Network/Sharing>Change adapter setting>Right click on wireless adapter (typically: Wireless Network connection)>Select Properties>Click on Configure>Select Power Mgmt>Uncheck Box: "Allow computer to turn off...">Click OK. This was 100% accurate!!! Thanks to this forum for helping.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 4 of 7 (1,010 Views)

Buy a new dual band wireless n router. (asus or netgear are my favorites).

g routers won't work at these speeds at all.

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 5 of 7 (999 Views)

That modem will only deliver about 30-35 Mbps down as well. If one has Blast 50/10 or faster then this will also be an issue. OP, you should be able to request them for a swap to a DOCSIS 3 capable modem if you don't want to buy one. It will still be $7.00 dollars.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you! I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.To learn more about XFINITY Forum Expert program click here.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Did this post help? Why not give it a kudo!!!Kudos Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you! I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.To learn more about XFINITY Forum Expert program click here.
Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. Expert Program
Posted by
Visitor

Message 6 of 7 (915 Views)

Thanks to cjerian & EG. Will do. Thanks again for all your expert advice. MLAsher

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 7 of 7 (897 Views)

Happy surfing ! Smiley Happy

Community Icon
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Did this post help? Why not give it a kudo!!!Kudos Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. Expert Program