New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Wireless Gateway Device/Feature Comparison

Administrator
Administrator

Wireless Gateway Device/Feature Comparison

Comcast now offers the Wireless Gateway 1 (model numbers TG862G and TC8305C), Wireless Gateway 2(model numbers DPC3939 and TC8706C), Wireless Gateway 3 (model numbers DPC3941T, TC8717 and TG1682G) and XB6 Wireless Gateway.

The Wireless Gateway 1 - front of device
Wireless Gateway 1

Features
The Wireless Gateway 1 combines the function and features of a modem and a router into one convenient device. Here are some of the Wireless Gateway 1 services and features you can enjoy:
  • High Speed Internet: The Wireless Gateway 1 contains a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem, which provides some of the fastest download speeds available.
  • WiFi: The Wireless Gateway 1 provides 2.4 WiFi connection for your home network. Connect multiple computers, laptops, tablets and other WiFi devices to the Internet wirelessly. Learn more about WiFi.
  • Gigabit Ethernet Ports: Connect up to four wired devices to the Wireless Gateway 1.
  • Home Networking: Connect your computers, printers and other devices to the Wireless Gateway 1 to access the Internet both wirelessly and with cables. Find out how to set up your home network.
  • Built-In Security: The Wireless Gateway 1 comes with Comcast-recommended settings for a secure network (e.g., firewall, WiFi). However, for added security, Comcast recommends changing the default password for the administration site (Admin Tool) to a password of your own.
  • Phone Service: The Wireless Gateway 1 supports your XFINITY Voice service with two analog telephone ports (if you also subscribe to XFINITY Voice service).

Front and Top Panels

The front panel of the Wireless Gateway 1 features white LED lights to let you know the status of different functions. These indicate the status of the AC power, upstream and downstream connectivity, Internet, WiFi, phone and battery.

The Wireless Gateway 1 has a WPS (WiFi Protected Setup) button on the top panel and the following LEDs on the front panel:
  • Power: AC power status
  • US/DS: Upstream and downstream connectivity
  • Online: Internet connectivity status
  • WiFi: Status of the 2.4 GHz wireless LAN
  • Tel1: Status of phone line 1
  • Tel2: Status of phone line 2
  • Battery: Battery power status
Front panel of Wireless Gateway 1

Back Panel

On the back panel of the Wireless Gateway 1, you'll find connection ports, the Reset button and Ethernet LED lights for your wired connections. The following options are available on the back panel:
  • Reset button: Resets the wireless gateway
  • USB Connector: For future use
  • Tel1: Connector for analog phone
  • Tel2: Connector for analog phone
  • Ethernet 1-4: Connectors for use with computer LAN ports
  • Cable: Connector for the coaxial cable
  • Power: Connector for power

Back panel of Wireless Gateway 1

The Wireless Gateway 2 - front of device
Wireless Gateway 2

Features
  • High-Speed Internet: The Wireless Gateway 2 provide some of the fastest download speeds available. 
  • Dual-Band WiFi: Wireless Gateway 2 provide dual-band WiFi.
    • Connect multiple computers, laptops, tablets and other WiFi devices, with higher maximum throughput.
    • Less interference and fewer dead spots in the home allow for faster speeds.
    • A more reliable connection allows for an improved video streaming and gaming experience.
  • Gigabit Ethernet Ports: Connect up to four wired devices to the Wireless Gateway 2.
  • Home Networking: Connect your computers, printers and other devices to the Wireless Gateway 2 to access the Internet both wirelessly and with cables. With the Wireless Gateway 2, you can leverage your existing in-home coaxial cable network to create a faster and more efficient network of connected devices.
  • Built-In Security: The Wireless Gateway 2 come with Comcast-recommended settings for a secure network. For additional security, Comcast recommends changing the default password for the administration site (Admin Tool) to a password of your own.
  • Voice Service: If you also subscribe to XFINITY Voice, the Wireless Gateway 2 support your service with two analog telephone ports.

Front Panel

The front panel of the Wireless Gateway 2 or Wireless Gateway 3 displays a series of LED lights, which indicate different features. Use the image and description below to familiarize yourself with the front panel.

Front panel items include:
  • US/DS: Upstream/downstream connectivity
  • 2.4 GHz WiFi: Wireless LAN status for 2.4 GHz band*
  • 5 GHz WiFi: Wireless LAN status for 5GHz band*
  • Tel1: Phone line status
  • Tel2: Phone line status

*Note: Both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wireless Gateway LED lights will flash as your device sends and receives data.

The front panel of the Wireless Gateway

Back Panel

On the back panel of your Wireless Gateway 2 you will find several ports and buttons, which serve the following functions:
  • The Reset button allows you to reboot the device if you experience connectivity issues.
  • Telephone connectors allow you to connect two lines of telephone service if you have two numbers.
  • Home Alarm port.
  • Ethernet ports allow you to connect up to four devices (such as computers, game systems and printers) to your home network with an Ethernet cable.
  • Cable Connector provides Internet service to the Wireless Gateway 3 through a coaxial cable, the same kind of cable that transmits TV service to your TV Box.
  • Power Connector is for the gateway's power cord.

Top Panel

• The top panel of the Wireless Gateway 2 features the WPS (WiFi Protected Setup) button. The WPS LED button connects WPS-compatible devices to your network.

The Wireless Gateway 3 - front of device
Wireless Gateway 3

Features
  • High-Speed Internet: The  Wireless Gateway 3 provide some of the fastest download speeds available. The Wireless Gateway 3 is the latest device from XFINITY, offering speeds over 700 Mbps.
  • Dual-Band WiFi: Wireless Gateway 3 both provide dual-band WiFi.
    • Connect multiple computers, laptops, tablets and other WiFi devices, with higher maximum throughput.
    • Less interference and fewer dead spots in the home allow for faster speeds.
    • A more reliable connection allows for an improved video streaming and gaming experience.
    • The 5 GHz AC-enabled band allows for better in-home signal by supporting "beamforming," which detects devices and amplifies signal in the direction of the device.*
    • Backwards compatible with non-AC-enabled devices or clients.
    • Operates within the 802.11ac spectrum, a WiFi channel that is used by many of the latest consumer electronic devices.
  • Gigabit Ethernet Ports: Connect up to four wired devices to the Wireless Gateway 3.
  • Home Networking: Connect your computers, printers and other devices to the Wireless Gateway 3 to access the Internet both wirelessly and with cables. With the Wireless Gateway 3, you can leverage your existing in-home coaxial cable network to create a faster and more efficient network of connected devices.
  • Built-In Security: The Wireless Gateway 3 come with Comcast-recommended settings for a secure network. For additional security, Comcast recommends changing the default password for the administration site (Admin Tool) to a password of your own.
  • Voice Service: If you also subscribe to XFINITY Voice, the Wireless Gateway 3 support your service with two analog telephone ports.

Front Panel

The front panel of the Wireless Gateway 3 displays a series of LED lights, which indicate different features. Use the image and description below to familiarize yourself with the front panel.

Front panel items include:
  • US/DS: Upstream/downstream connectivity
  • 2.4 GHz WiFi: Wireless LAN status for 2.4 GHz band*
  • 5 GHz WiFi: Wireless LAN status for 5GHz band*
  • Tel1: Phone line status
  • Tel2: Phone line status

*Note: Both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wireless Gateway LED lights will flash as your device sends and receives data.

The front panel of the Wireless Gateway

Back Panel

On the back panel of your Wireless Gateway 3 you will find several ports and buttons, which serve the following functions:
  • The Reset button allows you to reboot the device if you experience connectivity issues.
  • Telephone connectors allow you to connect two lines of telephone service if you have two numbers.
  • Home Alarm port.
  • Ethernet ports allow you to connect up to four devices (such as computers, game systems and printers) to your home network with an Ethernet cable.
  • Cable Connector provides Internet service to the Wireless Gateway 3 through a coaxial cable, the same kind of cable that transmits TV service to your TV Box.
  • Power Connector is for the gateway's power cord.

Top Panel

• The top panel of the Wireless Gateway 3 features the WPS (WiFi Protected Setup) button. The WPS LED button connects WPS-compatible devices to your network.
  • On Wireless Gateway 3 devices you may also see a Page button on the top panel. This button is to accommodate a future enhancement that is not yet available.

Advanced Gateway - front of device.
XB6 Wireless Gateway

Features
  • 2x2 OFDM and OFDMA DOCSIS® 3.1 channels
  • 32x8 SCQAM DOCSIS® 3.0 channels
  • Full Capture Bandwidth Tuner
  • Multi Processor Technology with ARM and ATOM based Application Processor
  • 2 port Gigabit Ethernet Wireless Router
  • Switchable upstream filters for 42 MHz or 85MHz operation.
  • 8x8:8 Integrated Dual Band Concurrent 5GHz 802.11 ac Wave2 radios and 2x2:2 2.4GHz 802.11n for high performance WLAN 
  • MoCA 2.0 (with channel bonding) for in Home Video and Data distribution over Coax 
  • Multiple SSID support with DFS channels and Dynamic Channel change 
  • IoT Subsytem with support for ZigBee, Thread and BTLE personal area networks 
  • SD card slot
  • Small form factor based on a Multi-PCB design
  • Multiple operator controlled configuration options
  • Designed for enhanced application support

Wireless Gateway Device Comparison

The following table compares the Wireless Gateway 1, Wireless Gateway 2, Wireless Gateway 3 and Advanced Gateway devices.
Product Features Wireless Gateway 1

(Model Numbers: TG852G, TG862G, TC8305C)
Wireless Gateway 2

(Model Numbers: DPC3939, TC8706C)
Wireless Gateway 3

(Model Numbers: DPC3941T, TC8717, TG1682G)
XB6 Wireless Gateway

(Model Number: Arris TG3482G)
Four Total Gigabit Ethernet Ports Yes Yes Yes No (2)
Dual Band WiFi No Yes Yes Yes
Maximum Data Throughput 150 Mbps 275 Mbps 700 Mbps 1 Gbps
WPS (WiFi Protected Setup) Yes Yes Yes Yes
Gateway and Network Management Tool
(http://10.0.0.1)
Yes Yes Yes Yes
XFINITY xFi Eligible No No Yes (excluding TC8717) Yes
RDK-B No No Yes Yes
Two Total Telephone Ports Yes Yes
(separate Alarm Port)
Yes
(separate Alarm Port)
Yes
Battery Backup Capability (XFINITY Voice Only) Yes Yes Yes Yes
Eligible for an xi5 Device No No Yes (excluding TC8717) Yes
Link Cordless Phones (CAT-iq 2.0*) No Yes Yes Yes
Home Hotspot Capable Yes Yes Yes Yes
Compatible with XFINITY Home Yes Yes Yes Yes

*CAT-iq 2.0: Cordless Advanced Technology (CAT). CAT-iq 2.0 is a digital communication standard, used primarily for cordless phone systems. CAT-iq 2.0 handsets can be paired with the wireless gateway.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Service Expert

Re: Wireless Gateway Device/Feature Comparison

Were you aware of this issue with the XB6?

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Xfinity-XB6-Arris-TG3482G-LAN-Interface-Issues/td-p/2...

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Silver Problem Solver

As a warning, be aware the following models use the Intel Puma 6 chipset, which has known issues that can cause severe latency (high ping times) and other weird issues that Intel has been unable to fix with firmware updates: DPC3939, DPC3941T, TG1682G.

[Equip] Intel Puma 6 chipset issue now solved?

Intel's buggy Puma 6 chipset earns Arris a gigabit-modem lawsuit

Do Not Buy List - Puma 6 Chipset

Contributor

When will the XB6 become a self install where it can be picked up at a service center? Or shipped out? And not just for gigabit?
Service Expert

dkinley1 wrote:
When will the XB6 become a self install where it can be picked up at a service center? Or shipped out? And not just for gigabit?

You might want to read this thread if you have more than one ethernet device (like a PC) that you want to connect:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Xfinity-XB6-Arris-TG3482G-LAN-Interface-Issues/td-p/2...

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Thanks for the article but I won’t be doing that with it? Do you know when they will publicly availble and not a tech only install
Service Expert

dkinley1 wrote:
Thanks for the article but I won’t be doing that with it? Do you know when they will publicly availble and not a tech only install

No I don't.  And I can't use it until this issue is resolved.  I have more ethernet connections than the XB6 can support when I use multiple switches.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation