Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Wifi interference

New Poster

Wifi interference

We live in a very congested area and wifi interference is affecting our connectivity to the internet.  There are no problems with Xfinity service.  We have an Arris TG862 modem and a Linksys wireless router, both rented from Xfinity.  Moving the router does not help, it just changes the mix of interfering signals.  We were wondering if a stronger signal from the router would help.Does Xfinity provide routers with greater range and would this at least improve our reception?  Alternatively, would a Comcast-compatible router from another source be a better way to go?  We would be grateful for any input. 

Thanks.

Expert
New Poster

Re: Wifi interference

Thanks.  I have tried all the standard things.  The signal at all locations is -45 dBm and the signal quality is excellent (WiFinfoView).  (Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is signal quality does not take into account S/N).  Even when I am right next to the router I have this issue.

I should point out I am using my old workhorse computer (Lenovo T410).  It has a 11/b/g/n wireless LAN mini-PCI express adaptor II.  Software is current.  My wife gets much better reception with her brand-new Dell (computers side-by-side) and is urging me to get a new computer.  Seems like an extravagant solution to me.