Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Why is Comcast going to block my modem from working to force me to buy a new one?

New Poster

Why is Comcast going to block my modem from working to force me to buy a new one?

I received a notification in my email:

By 1/25/18, the modem you use now with your Xfinity Internet service will no longer work on our network. Your older modem isn't giving you the best service possible.

So I'm trying to get a message to you now since I don't have time to chat. I wish you had an email. If so this would be my email to you:

Xfinity,

This notification troubles me because you don't know if I can afford to buy a new modem when 'all this time' my modem has been adequate to our needs. Our speeds have been adequate to our usage so I never saw a need to update a perfectly working and still working piece of equipment.  So for you to basically manually block my modem from working to force me to buy a new one is a bit eye opening towards your company.

Is there some sort of extension you can provide on the time frame of you blocking me from the internet keeping in mind that I've never been late on a payment and have been a long time customer of yours if you view my history.

Any insight into why you are doing this would be helpful and more transparent than this quick email provides me.

Problem Solver

Re: Why is Comcast going to block my modem from working to force me to buy a new one?

What kind of modem do you have now?