Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

When will the Surfboard 6141 Receive a Firmware Update?

Frequent Visitor

When will the Surfboard 6141 Receive a Firmware Update?

Last night, my internet connection started acting really weird, so I ran a speed test, and my DL with 150mb, but my upload was only .1mb. I called tech support, and they told me my modem was being declared EoL if I didn't update my firmware. Then, they told me Motorola had to do it. 

So, I am asking this after having spent hours on the phone with Comcast, Motorola, & Arris; why hasn't Comcast implemented the new firmware that Arris sent out in September of 2016? No one but the ISP is actually able to send an update, and you've had close to TWO YEARS to do so. If you send it, I will no longer be EoL, and I won't have to purchase a new modem. My connection is fine, and you're still enabled for DOCSIS 3.0, so why am I getting EoL'd? I got EoL'd on my last modem, which Comcast used as a tool to continually disconnect me, just so they could pitch me a leased modem.
I don't want to lease a modem.
I am fine with current bandwidth. 

When will my firmware be upgraded?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: When will the Surfboard 6141 Receive a Firmware Update?

@figarojones wrote: ... they told me my modem was being declared EoL ...

That's incorrect. See https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/SB6121-6141-End-of-Life-Details/m-p/2708003#M60015 and http://mydeviceinfo.g.comcast.net/device.php?devid=336.

... Then, they told me Motorola had to do it ...

Also incorrect. Only the ISP can update 6141 firmware.

... When will my firmware be upgraded?

What firmware version do you have? What version should you have? In all but the rarest of circumstances, if an update is needed, it is sent automatically.

Frequent Visitor

UGH! Comcast needs to make sure it's CSR's know this. As mentioned in my post, I had them EoL a modem I owned because it was DOCSIS 2.0 (this was about 8 years ago, I think), and my service kept getting disrupted, just like last night. They turned the whole thing into such a hassle*, I actualy left them for Frontier DSL for a while. However, Frontier was SO bad, they actually drove me back to Comcast. 

When the CSR mentioned EoL, I actually came within a hair's breadth of screaming at her.  EoL'ing people with fully functional modems "for their convenience" is insanely frustrating. 

But I digress. My firmware is SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.16-SCM00-NOSH, but I found out that they released a firmware update in 2016 that upgraded it to 1.0.7.0, which seemed to tie into what the CSR had told me. 

*My internet would go down AT LEAST twice a day, and to get it working I had to go through a portal that would reregister the modem and get it going again. However, this worked aproximately once. Every other time, I had to call into customer service, wait in the que, and put up with a sales pitch about leasing a modem from them. Before this, the modem worked fine. I had a 3mb connection (which was more than enough for me), but they were dropping all support for DOCSIS 2.0, because it wouldn't allow me "to get the best speed possible." I didn't like it, but I understand that business changes, so I told them I was going to purchase a replacement that supported 3.0, but I needed a few weeks to get it. Mysteriously, internet went to shambles and the reg portal stopped working. I finally decided I was done on the day it happened SIX times. 

Highlighted
Cable Expert

Oh boy, what a terrible experience Smiley Sad

What @BruceW said is correct about your modem, - it's fine if you're happy with the speeds. When a modem is categorized as EOL, nothing happens to it, Comcast just stops supporting it. So even if your modem was ELO, it wouldn't be the issue.

Start here: troubleshooting guide. If you still need help, please post your equipment details (make/model of your modem/gateway/router) and a screenshot of your signal levels and your error/event log. Thank you!

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

@nerdburg wrote:

When a modem is categorized as EOL, nothing happens to it, Comcast just stops supporting it. So even if your modem was ELO, it wouldn't be the issue.

See my story above for why I disagree with this sentiment. I do believe that it shouldn't happen, but I have no doubt that it more than likely will if they decide to EoL customer-owned 6141's. One's modem doesn't suddenly stop working in the way it did unless the company is purposely sending kill signals to the line. I wound up giving it to my parents who live in a rural community with an ISP that still supports 2.0, and it hasn't had any issues.

But no, Comcast wasn't doing it to pressure me into giving them more money. 

@nerdburg

Start here: troubleshooting guide. If you still need help, please post your equipment details (make/model of your modem/gateway/router) and a screenshot of your signal levels and your error/event log. Thank you!

I can't find a means of outputting an error log or signal info, so I'm attaching a screen shot of each. Let me know if there's anything you notice on my end that I can fix. 

Error Log.jpg
Signal.jpg
Frequent Visitor

Did it again about 4:00 this afternoon. Included are three speed tests, taken at 3:45, 4:02, and 4:03
Screenshot_20180516-153909.png
Screenshot_20180516-160223.png
Screenshot_20180516-160303.png
Official Employee

figarojones wrote: When will the Surfboard 6141 Receive a Firmware Update?

The most up to date firmware is pushed automatically when your modem connects to the network. If you own your equipment, be sure to check mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com to find out if your equipment is compatible with your Internet speed. One advantage of renting a Wireless Gateway from Xfinity is that we regularly update our firmware automatically, so you don't have to check for new updates. To learn about the different Wireless Gateways offered by Xfinity, read about feature comparisons for Wireless Gateways

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Seriously? Did you read any of my posts at all? I don't want a leased modem. You posting here, trying to sell me on renting a newer modem, is incredibly tacky. The whole point of my issue is that one of YOUR CSR's told me that my modem was EoL if it didn't recieve a firmware upgrade, but failed to mention that YOU are the only company that can do that. 

Also, look at the U/L speed. I'm fine with 150 MBs D/L, it's the .01mb U/L that is causing the problems. Notice how, at 3:39, it's 0.14; at 4:02, it's 11.65; and at 4:03, it's 1.4? THAT'S the problem. Service should not be this uneven, and seeing as the modem is less than a year old and hasn't had any issues whatsoever until the same point in time where I was told it was being EoL'd, I think it's safe to assume it's not the modem's fault. 

@ComcastAmir

The most up to date firmware is pushed automatically when your modem connects to the network. 

Then why is my firmware dated February, 2016, when they release updates regularly? I know for a fact that they had the next firmware version to you in September of that year, so why was it never pushed? 

@ComcastAmir
One advantage of renting a Wireless Gateway from Xfinity is that we regularly update our firmware automatically, so you don't have to check for new updates. 

I have great news for you! When ISP's update modems, all modems of that type recieve the update; or at least they should, unless you're telling me that Comcast is purposely holding back hardware updates for non-rental units. Is that the case?

Official Employee

@figarojones, your modem receives a firmware update when your modem is connected to the network. If you still see old firmware installed on your equipment please unplug your modem, then reconnect it. If that does not fix the issue then there may be an issue with your equipment not accepting the update. You're correct, when we send out firmware updates it is to all equipment not just a select few. But with that being said we cannot force your modem to accept the firmware update because it's not our equipment. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastAmir
But with that being said we cannot force your modem to accept the firmware update because it's not our equipment. 

The only difference between my modem and a rental 6141 is that the rental may have 'Comcast' printed somewhere on it. Every post I see from people who have the 6141, rental or not, is that they are running the same two-year-old firmware I'm running. Yet, newer firmware has been released by Arris (As mentioned above, 1.0.7.0 was released in September of 2016). This leads me to believe that Comcast isn't sending out updates. Thus, your above statement doesn't work. 

I want to take a second to say that I'm really not trying to be combative; I just feel like I'm being told the same thing over and over, despite pointing out why that information is incorrect. It's like when I call up customer service because something is on the fritz, and I tell them all the steps I've already taken, but they refuse to listen and ask me to redo all the steps I've already done. Or being told that a company isn't doing something that it very clearly is (see above story regarding EoL'ing my DOCSIS 2.0 modem) or vice-versa ("Comcast sends out the latest firmware" when it very clearly doesn't).

At this point, why would I believe anything Comcast says about their business practices? I have no doubt that they would be willing to turn owned 6141 connections to garbage, just to coerce more money out of the customer base. I mean, look at my original post, and then look at your response.
"A Comcast CSR gave me false information regarding my modem being EoL, and claimed I needed to be a firmware update from Motorola. This freaked me out because they've excessively disrupted my connection by EoL'ing me before."
"This is why you should lease a new modem from the same company that supplied bad information, ruined your internet experience, and wasted hours of your time." 

How am I supposed to react to this, or take your advice as helpful? I own my own modem because it cost me $50, whereas if I had leased it, I'd be up $200 at this point. I DON'T WANT TO LEASE, and the implicit agreement is that if I own my own modem and the manufacturer has sent an update to Comcast, they'll verify it's functional and push it to me. The only reason not to is if the old firmware better utilizes the network; this is part of the service they're supposed to offer because I'm paying them $70 a month. It gives me better service and gives them a cleaner signal, which lowers their IT bill.

So either the 2-year-old firmware that is on everyone's modem is the best one for the system, or they're purposely making lines worse to convince users to switch modems, in the hopes that at least a few start leasing. If it's the former, just say so.  "They have released updates, but that one is the best for our infrastructure." How hard is that? 

Official Employee

@figarojones, if you need additional assistance with updating your firmware please send me a private message with your full name, street address, and account number. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation