Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Using splitter on main powered coax from outside cable box

Highlighted
New Poster

Using splitter on main powered coax from outside cable box

Hi all, I have a coax cable coming in from the outside of my house's Xfinity cable box that plugs into an outlet near my TV. If this isn't plugged in, the coax cables throughout the house won't send a signal to my modem.

I want to move my router and modem near my TV/PS4/Nvidia Shield (it's currently in the basement) so I can plug in via ethernet, but the closest coax is this one that powers the main box. I tried using a splitter on this powered coax cable but then it doesn't get a signal to the modem.

Anything else I can do short of re-arranging my living room (doesn't really work with my setup) or re-routing the main powered Xfinity box outside my house to the other side other house (also probably not a free option with Xfinity)? Thanks for any suggestions..

Accepted Solutions
Official Employee

Re: Using splitter on main powered coax from outside cable box

Really, now that you located the amp, it’s pretty simple. On the amp locate which port feeds your modem ( disconnect each until your modem goes offline), when you find it, unplug the amp, swap the modem cable outlet for the power outlet on the amp, inside the house move your modem to where the power supply is and the power where the modem is and plug it in. If you did it right, you’ll have a green light on the amplifier in the house box.

All Replies
Official Employee

Depending on the type of amp, there’s a special splitter that you need from a tech. What you have now is powering an amplifier, that’s feeding all of your equipment. It’s either that or track down your amp and figure out a different way to power it over coax.
BEA9195C-2616-44AE-9107-4E1039604D98.jpeg
New Poster

Thanks Andrew. Can I get something like this distribution amplifier?
Official Employee

You already have one, you just need to track down where it is. That’s why every time you unplug the power adapter, your service goes out. Possibly look in your house box or basement, wherever a good central point is for all your cables
New Poster

Oh sorry, I meant can I use the amplifier on the coax cable that's coming in (the one that's powering the box outside) and split it (coax to my modem, other coax to the DC power brick).
Official Employee

Actually since you have internet only, you shouldn’t need or have to use an amplifier. First step is to find it, you don’t need or want to add another amplifier into the mix
New Poster

There's a big grey Xfinity box on the side of my house where all the cables originate. What am I looking for?
New Poster

Looks like I have a PPC EVO1-5-U/U. Yes we're internet-only and we're renting this house.
Official Employee

Really, now that you located the amp, it’s pretty simple. On the amp locate which port feeds your modem ( disconnect each until your modem goes offline), when you find it, unplug the amp, swap the modem cable outlet for the power outlet on the amp, inside the house move your modem to where the power supply is and the power where the modem is and plug it in. If you did it right, you’ll have a green light on the amplifier in the house box.
New Poster

That did it. Thank you!