Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Usage Meter

Retired Administrator

Usage Meter

Please post all usage meter concerns here. Please also include any pertinent information such as when you noticed the that the usage meter became missing, any device swaps that may have occurred, and any contacts you've made with customer service to have the problem triaged. If previous contacts have been unsuccessful, please try once more and ask the agent to "roll" and "reprovision" your device will resolved the trouble. This usually resolves the trouble in a large number of cases.

Usage meters may also display erratically, often disappearing and reappearing. If you are experiencing this type of trouble, please be sure to describe exactly what you are seeing in as much detail as possible, such the dates and times. Unfortunately, we are unable to assist with posts that do not include these details.

Thanks!

Just 'Dete'
Retired Help Forums Admin

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Re: Usage Meter

Contacted Comcast again today about the usage meter. Rep said they " I can see here that the modem is properly added in your account. But let me refresh it." My usage meter after all these years still does not work. It never has. Account doesn't even list my modem. Would be nice to get this fixed after allt hese years of trying.

Frequent Visitor

i previously reported that my usage meter was gone.  It just occurred to me that last month I bought a new docsis 3 modem and upgraded my service to the 50 mbps tier.  Could that have something to do with it?

Customer Expert

Possibly. Have you called and asked them to roll your modem and reprovision it as Dete notes above?

If that didn't work, please post the information he requested.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

New Poster

Re: Usage Meter concerns -- accuracy

> Please post all usage meter concerns here.

Like many in a parallel thread, I'm beginning to wonder about the accuracy of the Comcast Usage Meter. That, or the efficiency of several Internet protocols.

Until I have a method for independently measuring the traffic passing between my router and the modem, I can't really take a stand. Just thought I'd express the concern.

Regular Contributor

Greetings,

As of last Thursday night, 4-21-2011, my “Usage Meter” has NOT updated itself.

It still says I have used 167 gigs.

It should be up to about 180 by now, Saturday night, 4-23-2011.

Since we all know that tech support “can not” or “will not” deal with this, I thought that somebody here might know what is going on with the “Usage Meters” in Newburyport.

I am located in Rowley, MA 01969 and get service from the Newburyport, MA servers.

Regular Contributor

I am having continuing problems with my usage meter. I have posted in this forum several times and I have been contacted by Comcast Support and they have escalated the issue but to no avail. This is the 2nd time this has happened and it has not worked correctly since February 2011. I thought that it was fixed at the beginning of April as it showed 1GB of usage and it later moved to 4GB but as of April 24th it is still at 4GB. I have had this Docsis 3 modem for over a year.

In addition my Xfinity2Go usage meter is not working properly either. It is days behind and when you click on the details it shows usage from last months billing period and this months combined. I couldn't even see that using Firefox 4. I have to use Internet Explorer.

Bill J

Customer Expert

skek64 and wjereb, most of us here are customers like you who do not have access to your account. And it is Easter Sunday, and I don't think most of the official Comcast employees that handle the forums will sweep through today.

I strongly urge you to contact Comcast and ask the agent to roll your modem and reprovision it. 

If that does not restore the usage meter, post back here again noting that you called, that the agent tried a roll and reprovision, and that it didn't work.

Someone from Comcast will look at these posts on Monday. But please try contacting Comcast directly and ask for the ROLL and REPROVISION.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

I have had my modem reprovisioned I have spoken to the higher tier of technical support and nothing has worked. I am well aware that this is a users forum and I posted just so Dete was aware that I am still having a problem. My bigger issue is my Xfiinity2Go usage meter. I need that more than the HSI meter but it would be nice to have both working.

Bill J

Frequent Visitor

My modem has for some reason be reprovisioned the last 2 days for some odd reason. Fully removed from my account. Guess what no usage meter. For those tossing out have the modem roll or reprovisioned again need to get some new info. It is not that simple. Mine has never worked in all my years of service, and countless contacts to comcast support. The counteless reroll and reprovisions. The countless escalations. I figured someone in this forum that works for comcast would actually do something to get this fixed. Guess I was wrong.

Customer Expert

We've pressed for more explanation of why the meters disappear. That's when the "roll" part was explained as part of the solution. That's been within the past two weeks. Before that, we were suggesting merely reprovisioning.

I understand that this is frustrating especially since Comcast doesn't seem to be able to reliably get the modems connected to accounts and meters. It should just work. We realize it isn't that simple.

Please post that you have called and asked for roll and reprovision as well as the other info Dete requested at the beginning of this thread. I've asked that someone look at the whole thread on Monday.

If you have never seen the meter, double check that you are using an account that has billing access to the Comcast account. 

BullDawg101, it sounds like your modem is not correctly connected to your account. Hopefully your situation will be checked carefully. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

As I have said I have gone through this for years. My modem was just redone for 2 days. I only have 1 account associated with comcast and it is my primary one.

Regular Contributor

Good evening,

Around 3:00 pm today I called and got my modem “ROLLED” and “REPROVISIONED.”

I then downloaded between 3-4 gigs of “stuff.” This takes between 30 and 45 minutes.

I then waited until 8:00 pm before checking my usage meter.

It had jumped to 171 gigs.

Just a note: The support person said his name was Graham (no last name given).

He did it with no problems or complaints.

This seems to have corrected the problem.

Thanks to you !!!

Customer Expert

skek64, I'm happy that it worked for you. Getting usage meters to work shouldn't require customers to jump through hoops and call multiple times. But I'm happy that it might work for some of you.

I have asked that this thread be checked Monday. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

OK so I listened to this new advice and called Comcast to have my modem "rolled and reprovisioned". I spoke to a young lady in support and she proceeded to tell me that my meter was accurate and unless I was having speed issues she could not do this. I explained that my meter was at 4GB for the last 3 weeks and it could not be accurate. She still would not do this. I give up. 

Bill J

Connection Expert

Just alerted an Admin. Hopefully we can get you some leverage on this.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Contributor

Hello,

The usage meter disappeared this morning. I had my modem swapped yesterday (an outstanding connectivity issue that I have another thread for), and although the meter was available yesterday (don't know if it was after midnight), it is now gone. I called up comcast for rolling/reprovisioning, they lady did that, but there seems to be a problem and no meter yet (she said she's going to call me back with an update if things change).

It has happened to me once in the past. What is common is the end of month (I think it was the 27th or 28th the other time) and being past the 200GB.

Thanks

Frequent Visitor

This is really getting frustrating. Contacted comcast again as the issue is still not resolved. I get this from live chat.

RuthCBLD: The ticket that was created on 04/21.

RuthCBLD: This issue was tagged resolved on 04/23.

The meter still is not there how is the issue resolved?

Regular Contributor

Well this is how I am going to deal with it. I don't care. My meter is now at 5GB after 27 days of usage this month. Since I am assuming that my reading is the same as what Comcast has, then I'll never go over the 250Gb cap. And if I am assuming incorrectly and Comcast has some sort of accurate meter that they use and I go over the cap I feel I have a case to argue with. 

As for my Xfinity2Go meter.... I found out today that I could upgrade to a 4G MiFi hotspot for the same amount per month. 4G is unlimited data and 3G comes with 5GB so I don't have to worry about it.

Bill J

Frequent Visitor

Takes an hour to get told

RuthCBLD: I dont see the USAGE METER on my end as well.

RuthCBLD: I will have to create a ticket for your issue.

Which this was supposedly resolved. Go figure.

Contributor

I have already contacted comcast twice and they are unable to fix it.. Will try s third time..

Contributor

I called up comcast again today to only find out that the problem has not been fixed. I was told that it may take up to three business days to fix it, and because of the weekend, that is Monday.

On Monday, however, the usage meter resets. I asked the comcast staff how I am supposed to download in the meantime without hiting the limit when I cannot be informed of my usage and the comcast staff told me NOT TO DOWNLOAD till it gets fixed.

So the only option I have at the moment is not to download otherwise comcast might suspend my service Smiley Sad

If it really lasts till Monday.. this is wrong

Customer Expert

I asked (again) to have official Comcast folks look at this thread and followup.

For those who haven't kept up with this topic, we've been told that the meters reset at Universal Time or Greenwich Mean Time at the end of the month. So you don't have until local midnight Saturday to squeeze in a bunch of HD movies. Wrap it up earlier. This page might help you figure out when:

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Of course, no usage meter yet. Called them up again, with my ticket number, spent around half an hour listening to comcast commercials on the phone and got nowhere.

There are many instances where people have been complaining of the usage meter disappearing at the end of the month (usually from the 26th on) -- look here and here and here-- and automagically getting it back when the next month rolls in.. Supposedly this is when comcast manages to fix it.

I suspect that near the end of month people might rush to download as much as possible from what they are entitled to -- as they suddenly remember of the meter resetting -- and then SOMETHING disables the usage meter so that users either don't download because they don't know how much they are allowed to download or if they download they get their service suspended.

Disgraceful.

Regular Contributor

I think you're reading too much into this thing. This is a flawed system and it might be related to the type of modem. My Father has a lower tier of service with Comcast and is using a Docsis 2 modem and has had an accurate meter since Day 1. I on the other hand have a Docsis 3. What type do you have?

Bill J

Contributor

It's a DOCSIS3 (Arris TM722G). My previous modem was a Thomson DHG536. Although I had the meter disappearing on that too (in the usual timeframe).

New Poster

My Usage meter disappeared just in the last few hours today April 30th.  Worked fine this morning.  Lately I have been checking it daily to try and determine if one of our systems is being compromised.  Excessive bandwidth being used this month.  Does the usage meter rollover and reset or something since it's the last day of the month or is this an issue? Everything else is showing just fine.  Just missing the Usage meter.  I even logged out and back on several times, cleared my cache, etc. Thanks for your time.

Cable Expert

gkyniston wrote:

My Usage meter disappeared just in the last few hours today April 30th.  Worked fine this morning.  Lately I have been checking it daily to try and determine if one of our systems is being compromised.  Excessive bandwidth being used this month.  Does the usage meter rollover and reset or something since it's the last day of the month or is this an issue? Everything else is showing just fine.  Just missing the Usage meter.  I even logged out and back on several times, cleared my cache, etc. Thanks for your time.

The usage meters disappear at the end of every month as that is when the data from last month and next month change over.  The time it disappears depends on what time zone you are in.

This is expected and how the system works.  It will be back on Sunday.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

New Poster

That's what I suspected.  Sorry for taking your time.  Thank You!

Valued Contributor

wjereb wrote:

I think you're reading too much into this thing. This is a flawed system and it might be related to the type of modem. My Father has a lower tier of service with Comcast and is using a Docsis 2 modem and has had an accurate meter since Day 1. I on the other hand have a Docsis 3. What type do you have?

Bill J

Is the usage meter still not working for you?

Steve

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Valued Contributor

Blue100 wrote:

It's a DOCSIS3 (Arris TM722G). My previous modem was a Thomson DHG536. Although I had the meter disappearing on that too (in the usual timeframe).

I reprovisioned the new modem. Wait for it to re populate the data for 24 hrs

Steve

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Steve,

I have been dealing with Comcast Tech who just yesterday rolled and reprovioioned my modem.I am giving it a few days to see if the meter starts working.At this point it displays but with Zero usage.

On another issue my Xfinity2Go usage meter is still showing my 3G usage as of April 29th. I upgraded to the 4G service on that day. My usual usage period is the 7th to the 6th so I am waiting to see if it changes tomorrow.

Bill J

Frequent Visitor

I swapped out my D-Link DOCISS 2.0 modem for a new SB6120 and my data meter has disappeared.  Never had any problems with it using the D-Link or prior modem (a Comcast rental).

I've talked to tech support twice about it.  The first time, the tech didn't have any idea what I was talking about.  She didn't even appear to know that there was either a bandwidth cap or a meter.  The tech on the second call understood the problem but said that a roll & reprovision had already been done so another one was unlikely to help.  He did it when I insisted but, as he predicted, it didn't help.  He suggested waiting from the account billing cycle to roll-over and, if that failed, he suggested that the monthly roll-over at the end of May might fix it.  That might be true, but I read enough complaints about it never working for people that I'm reluctant to accept "hope" as a plan as I frequently run close to the cap.

There was a problem provisioning the new modem related to my account still showing the rented Comcast modem.  I'd returned it about 9 months ago and had dropped from my bill after I returned it but it was still showing in his system.  After a number of consultations with others, he was able to add the new modem and it works fine except for the missing meter.

Regular Contributor

Well it has been 3 days since my modem was "rolled and reprovisioned" and my meter is still at Zero usage.

On my other issue my Xfinity2Go meter is now listed as not available. This usually happens at the bill end date which is the 6th of the month. Hopefully it will begin to show my 4G usage tomorrow.

Bill J

Frequent Visitor

My data meter came back today so it was gone for about a week.  It only shows 2GB of usage which is way below actual so it's clearly missing all the usage for the time it was gone.  My bill date is the May 4th so it seems unlikely that the return is due to either the billing cycle or the end of the month.  So it's either some other process or the Comcast folks that monitor this thread fixed it.  

Regular Contributor

May 16th and usage meter still not working. In addition my Xfinity2Go meter is still listed as unavailable. I have been speaking to a tech located in Denver who has escalated it but nothing is fixed yet.

Bill J

Frequent Visitor

My usage meter I think is too high. I have been out of my house since 8 am this morning and the meter keeps creeping up 1 gig per hour and I have WPA2 encryption on the router. Was there an issue with older modems and bandwidth usage?

Connection Expert

could be spyware or a spambot running in the background of one or all of your computers.

Can you disconnect the computers to see if it still climbs?

Then

Connect them back one at a time to see which one if any is sending out spam or whatever?

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Well, I had the router disconnected from the modem, apparently, the router likes to suck off the Internet even when not in use. It is an Apple Airport Extreme. I am glad I found it out now and that has since stopped the meter from running like crazy. Thank you for the suggestion!

Connection Expert

Glad you have it nearrowed down. 

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Connection Expert

political_i wrote:

apparently, the router likes to suck off the Internet even when not in use. It is an Apple Airport Extreme. I am glad I found it out now and that has since stopped the meter from running like crazy.

Hmmm.... This should be nothing more than a miniscule amount of normal ARP traffic and internet noise....

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

That is what I thought but for some reason when no one was in the house, it would go through 1 gig/hour. That would mean the bandwidth would get depleted before I even knew it. Someone might have decided to use my Internet connection even though I am in a house where the router is 108 feet away from the edge of the neighbors house and 20 feet from the other. However, it is in a daylight basement and the 108 feet would have to go through multiple walls. Once the meter gets reset, I'll plug it back in with a new password and see if someone was rouging and also, I'm going to give the new cable modem a spin.

Connection Expert

Plus you said that you that you were using WPA2 so I didn't question if you had wireless security enabled... Could someone else in your home with allowed access to your network have been using it ?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

We have an international student who lives with us and has gone on movie watching sprees, I know that has contributed although the most bandwidth used when he was in was 60 gb. I am not sure if either a) carrying a virus b) using P2P services c) leaving his computer on. If the computer was not on, then the router was the issue. Ever since I disconnected the router, my meter has stayed stagnent over the past 24 hours. I'm going to ask the student to run an anti-virus software to see if it has been a zombie, and I will probably place a bandwidth tracker on all computers to see how much badwidth we use since it is uncertain what is causing the spikes. I have to wait until tomorrow to find difinitive answers.

The reason I am concerned is that I know no one was in the hosue at the time and I had confirmed that. I will be resetting the password on the router to make sure there isn't someone stealing my wi-fi. How good is MAC address table where only MAC addresses on the table would be allowed access to the network?

Connection Expert

political_i wrote:
How good is MAC address table where only MAC addresses on the table would be allowed access to the network?

FWIW, MAC addy filtering alone should not be relied on exclusively because it is fairly easily crackable by a determined cracker. WPA2 AES is by far more bulletproof and practically negates the need for MAC addy filtering but every layer counts as multiple layers are always better with anything concerning security.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

That is weird cause my WPA2 was AES keyed.

New Poster

1. My meter dissapeared a few weeks ago.

2. All my hardware is exactly the same.

For a month it worked fine and then a few days after May started it just dissapeared.

Customer Expert

lukewind, did you try calling and asking that your modem be rolled and reprovisioned?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Here is my update. The Tech guy I have been dealing with is passing my problem on to engineering. He has an interesting theory.... that maybe my usage meter is pointed at my EMTA modem rather than my Docsis3 data modem.

And my usage meter for my Xfinity2Go service isn't working either and hasn't since I upgraded to 4G (from 3G) on April 29th. I have called the 2Go department 4 times and received 4 different answers. I was told that it would appear:

1. At the end of my usage month (6th of month)

2. At the end of my Billing month (15th)

3. In 5-6 days (after they terminated my 3G service which someone didn't do)

4. And today I was told 30 days from when I started the service.

I'm thing they should just answer the phone "Hello this is Comcast. If we don't know the answer, we just make it up!"

Amazing that they can send me several hundred channels of tv programming, allow me to call all over the country and access any internet site with relatively fast speeds but can't get a couple of usage meters to display.

Bill

Problem Solver

-

I apologize for all the inconvenience and late response for getting this issue resolved. I'm recently taking over as the Forum Admin. As I look into your acct, I do notice I'm able to see your usage meter for your HSI. Were they able to fix this? Please let me know.

Thanks,

-ComcastLarry-

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon