Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Upstream Channel Bonding

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 6

Ok. First of all. I have contacted with SEVERAL Comcast employee's, reps, whatever you wanna call them. "People who seem to get paid and know nothing about anything", blows my mind. Little steam blew off, cool. Anyway, the reason I am so upset is because I go out and buy a brand new Motorola MG7550. It supports 16x4. 16 Downstream Channels, 4 Upstream Channels. My issue is, I only have 2 Upstream Channels. Now I know I will not recieve more speeds, however, with my Upstream Channels i'm sure it will be smoother, as I am a gamer and something my shot my not register to the other persons screen because my Upstream isn't "all there". Now call me OCD, what have you. Please someone inform of how to get all 4 Upstream Channels. I've called Comcast, they had no clue. I did a chat with Comcast, and several did the usual signals good, looks good, reset, refresh line, etc. One even said that they changed something in the system and I would have 4 Upstream Channels after 3-4 hours! Hahaha. This never happened. Please, someone with knowledge, come to my rescue.

Upstream Problems.png
5 REPLIES
Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 2 of 6

Perhaps there are yet only 2 upstream channels actually present / configured on your local system ? Not all areas have been upgraded to having 3 or 4 yet.

Also, upstream channel / return path noise ingress in to the lines somewhere, and or high / out of spec upstream power levels can cause the unbonding of multiple channels. I can only see the "4" figure of your upstream power levels. What is the rest ?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 3 of 6

I have no idea if my area is upgraded. I went onto Comcast Chat support, and someone told me they went into my Account and/or System and changed it to where I will have 4 upstream channels, but I would have to wait 2-3 hours. So I did and nothing happened. Here are the power levels.

Channel Power.png
Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 4 of 6
FWIW, their support talked garbage as usual. They can't remotely make more channels magically appear if they don't actually exist on the system.... The upstream power is in spec.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 5 of 6

Thank you for replying in the first place, and atleast letting me know some information on it. Do you know anyway to talk with Comcast perfessionals on how I can get the upgrade to 4 Channels? It's ridiculous I bought this Modem and can't use all it's capability's. I am a gamer and every little bit counts when people are out there with fiber optic internet. Any response is appreciated. And I thank you for your time. 

P.S. I realize my upstream power and everything is normal, however I just want to clear my mind of any fault my connection may have. I want to put all the blame on my skill level, and not my connection.

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 6 of 6

JDOGG112990 wrote:

Do you know anyway to talk with Comcast perfessionals on how I can get the upgrade to 4 Channels? 

It's not really possible. They won't even entertain a request like that. It would only be privy to the local engineering dept. They may have decided that 2 is all that is necessary to meet the current local capacity demand.

Bear in mind what I stated previously about the possibilty of upstream channel / return path noise ingress somewhere causing it.

There are three additional signal stats which can't be read by the modem. They can only be read from their end by them polling the CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System) at the local headend facility.

They are the "Upstream Rx Power" (Upstream Receive Power Level), the "Upstream SNR Ch." (Upstream Signal To Noise Ratio), and the "Upstream ICFR" (In Channel Frequency Response). These are as equally important in diagnosing connectivity issues as are the modem's stats.

You can call in and ask what these figures are. The Upstream Receive Power Level should fall within the range of -2dB to +2dB with 0dB being in the middle and perfect.

The Upstream SNR should be least 31dB, and the higher it is the better.

The ICFR should be no higher than 2 dB.

They will be able to see whether or not everything is in the green zone and also see a history plot for the modem.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon