Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Upload Speed Issues - SB6190

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 5

Hello.  Long time reader, first time poster.

I have been experiencing upload issues for a couple of weeks where my upload has been 5-12mbps with just a little packet loss (not bad enough to complain).  I am on the Extreme 300 package with an SB6190 modem.  Prior to a couple of weeks ago, my speed test was usually 340+/30mbps.

The modem stats all look great.  The 4 upstream channels are well within spec, around 41.75 to 43.25 dBmv. I’ve posted to @comcastcares to try and get the Upstream Power Level, ICFR & USNR.  Phone support and local techs don’t have access to get that info.

Coincidently or not, around that time, Comcast replaced the 17.6MHz channel at 2560 Ksym/sec with a new 16.6 at 5120 Ksym/sec.

The techs who came today said my RG11 drop was the problem, because they didn’t like that a tech a few years had to put an extension on it at the pedestal. (Every year for 5+ years the RG11 to RG6 connector kept shorting out in the spring, so they kept replacing it until the drop wouldn’t reach the tap.)   The problem persists after the new drop, and there is no difference in any of the signals. 

The techs are now saying they are 98% sure, the SB6190 is the problem, and that I need to rent a new modem.  Is there any chance that the Puma 6 firmware bug can cause upload degradations.  I see no latency problems at all. 

Thank you

4 REPLIES
Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 2 of 5

FWIW, if you haven't seen it, take a look at this long thread at the DSLR forums about the Puma 6 saga and see if you can find any references to an upload speed problem;

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31122204-SB6190-Puma6-TCP-UDP-Network-Latency-Issue-Discussion

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 3 of 5

Thanks EG, Oh Boy! That's a lot of reading.  

The test tool reports "This doesn't look too good."  A lot of red.  

Highlighted
Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 4 of 5

Not sure which firmware load that your's currently has or whether or not they have even pushed out a fixed version yet. I stopped paying real close attention to this issue a couple of weeks ago. sorry. Good luck !

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 5 of 5

I'm on  9.1.93T which doesn't include the fix, but it doesn't appear upload speed is a symptom.  Since my problem didn't start until a couple of weeks ago, I don't believe it's related.  

The techs said they'd escalate the case, so hopefully I'll hear something soon.  

After 24 hours I still haven't heard from @comcastcares.  It's been such a frustrating experience over the last few months I just ordered Fiber Internet.  No idea if it will be more reliable, but worth a try.

Thanks again.