online now

discussions

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

SOLVED
Posted by
New Poster
Message 400 of 2,193

charles7926 wrote:

@devonsuter - I am chatting with them now, I am having the same problem.  They told me I hit 300GB on the 10th, and then today (the 13th) I am at 454GB.  There is no way I used 300GB in 10 days, let alone another 154GB in only 3 days.  Something has to be broken on their end.

============================================ 

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 401 of 2,193

Now that the DOJ and FCC have forced Comcast to withdraw their much desired merger with TWC, perhaps they will completely do away with data caps.  Unless Comcast wants the heat to continue to be increased on them, they need to try to get customers on their side.  Whining about the evil, bad government makes Comcast look like a spoiled brat! They need to grow up, realize it is 2015 and the internet caps of the 1990's are not acceptable and not in the public interest.  Comcast has plenty of bandwidth.

Just think if those thousands and thousands of comments to the FCC and DOJ regarding the merger had been POSITIVE!  Comcast needs to begin to do positive things for their customers rather than to continue to search for ways to make a dime.  Comcast may not know what to do to generate customer goodwill but I bet their customers do if they would listen to them.

The government needs to investigate their monopolistic practices and deal with them accordingly.  I plan to continue to file complaints with the FCC, FTC, DOJ, my Senators, Congressman, and local officials until Comcast no longer has a monopoly in my area. With the net neutrality ruling and now this, I believe the government is listening to the public.  Comcast needs to be heavily regulated until they clean up their awful act.  Lets not take our foot off the gas pedal yet.

(Hopefully this post will not misteriously disappear as others have.)

Posted by
Contributor

Message 402 of 2,193

I had a nice long rant I had posted against this data cap. Lost what I wrote trying to submit. Long story.

Point being. 

I pay alot of money to comcast. I have a BIG House hold. SEVERAL devices connected to the internet.

I have the biggest package.

Data CAP. NOT HAPPY WITH> THIS BS!!!.

Price Increase. EVEN LESS HAPPY ABOUT. You Increase my price. AND CAP ME. BS!!!!

I have been accused of allowing hackers onto my internet connection. They said my connection not secure. It is. BUT. Then again. How am I suppose to make sure of this. WHEN COMCAST TOLD me that my Connection Spot is a HOT SPOT for There Comcast APP of whatever that lets people find Comcast hotspots and surf off them. SOOOO NOW I have to PAY for and BE Punished for those whom connects through My connection???? I was told This cant be turned off. BS!!!!!

Im a Gamer. I though. Well I never burned this before i though.  Wasnt untill I got this big package and ALL the BS strings attached.

Lets see, Service Fails, Service is slow often, other players faster then I am. Instalation tech made us install and set up our service while he sat around crying about how he hated his life. Comcast accuse me of having hackers on my connection spot but. Im told I dont have control of that becuase of the special comcast hotspot that allows anyone with a comcast access to access my connection. BS!!!!!!!! I dont pay for those free loaders, They can go to starbucks. And No you dont need to pay for a comcast account to access the comcast hotspots.

I have plenty more I could ramble about. But I need to go to work now so I can afford to pay this huge bill from comcast for support my community with internet.

I will be looking for another service provider, Wish I could take back the 10,000 plus dollars I have spent on comcast in the last 10 years and that is just with one of my accounts. Glad I already shut down my other account. Maybe Google will have internet in Nashville soon enough then the entire city can drop comcast all at once.

Posted by
New Poster
Message 403 of 2,193

We changed to Xfinity system in Dec 2014 and we have been over 300 GB every month according to the web page https://customer.comcast.com/Secure/UsageMeterDetail/

but using the Xfinity/Comcast usage meter app, it is about 10%. That is correct, the app shows only about 10% of the useage compare to the web statisitcs. It is also consistent of what I know we use. We don't play games, do little streaming, just the typical email and web surfing.

My son has a separate Xfinity account and he shows less data usage, but streams content almost continuously when he is home. Clearly there is a BIG problem. 

My best example was when we were on vacation from Feb 26 to Mar 4 with no one home using any computer or device. When I got home, there was already 74GB of usage.

I have told their customer service, but they suggested that someone was stealing my wifi. I monitored the devices accessing my wifi and have yet to find any unknown devices using my network.

Posted by
New Poster
Message 404 of 2,193

I wanted to post a question here asking if anyone else is experiencing this problem with hitting the data limit on their comcast internet? Almost every month since last sept I have been getting calls from comcasts automated service telling me that I am reaching 90% of the allowed data limit on my plan. Now I've called up and talked to them and they "seem" completely unaware of there being any limit at all. Till they look it up and they see that the state of arizona has data limits in place with comcast. Apparently I am at a 350 gig limit and as of my call I was at 297. Then today I get a call telling me that I am at 90% of my allowed data limit again?! This whole thing is stressing me out to the point where I'm probably going to be dropping comcast for anyone else at this point.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 405 of 2,193

In todays internet connected world, a 300 GB data cap is totally unreasonable.  People have more devices using more data not to mention the vast number of streaming devices.

Comcast has a monopoly in most areas and can do what they want.  If I stream Nteflix on my TiVo, it costs me data.  If I stream Comcast On Demand on my TiVo it does not.

They have been slapped twice this year by the FCC.  Could number 3 be on the way?

Posted by
New Poster
Message 406 of 2,193

I just got the 90% call; but dont know if I will go over with 30 GB left.  We have recently began NETFLIX to watch old TV series that we missed; so it makes me wonder if that is the contributor? Anyway, Comcast claims to give low prices for their service and then gains the customer; but when was the customer going to be told it may cost more "if"? At no point did Comcast explain that you may be charged more because of a cap, and instead just stresses how fast the internet is. I really wish that Comcast was not a monopoly. It amazes me how much money Comcast takes the customer for a non-tangible product. Nobody gains by paying these prices! Centurylink works OK; and sometimes better than Comcast.

Posted by
New Poster
Message 407 of 2,193

I received an email today saying that I had used 90% of my 300gb data usage, but according to the data meter, I have used less than 1gb per month for the last three months, so where are these numbers coming from? It almost looks like is a bug in the system: either in the email that I received or the data usage meter.  What gives?

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 408 of 2,193

We bought a house in January and found out that Comcast was the only provider (wait....except for a dish system).  We did not know that there was a data cap,  We had not had cable in about 8 years.  First month we go an email alerting to the fact that we were at 90% of the data cap.  We used 510 gbs of data the first month and we only use the internet for surfing or email.  We don't Netflix or game.  The second month we called because we got another email about 90% of usage so we started to pay attention.  We used 53 gbs overnight with nothing on.  Comcast said to change our password and ip address and we did.  Still using 40 to 50 gbs in a day or two.  Other than just disconnecting the internet, I just don't know what to do.  Has anyone had any success fighting this data cap battle?

Posted by
New Poster
Message 409 of 2,193

@ktsgirl59 - that is exaclty what happened to me this month - it said I was using about 50-55GB a day.  I have been on the phone with comcast several times. Eventualy at one point a random support person mentioned it could be a bad modem.  Apparently, comcast doesnt actually track data, they just rely on reports that the modem sends them to know how much you use each day.  So I replaced the leased modem they gave me with one I bought on amazon, and since then my data usage has dropped to normal levels.  Of course, that didnt happen until I had already used 900GB for the month of April.  Next for me comes the fight with their billing department to get the overage charges removed.

Posted by
Contributor
Message 410 of 2,193

My wife and I are constantly streaming video all day. Our usage is regularly up around 3TB per month. Today is the second and we are already at almost 400GB.

I can't understand why your municipality has allowed this behavior on the part of Comcast. If our reps allowed this we'd have their b***s on a spit.

Posted by
New Poster
Message 411 of 2,193
Make sure that the serial number and mac address ( located on the back of your router) matches what comcast has. If it doesn't, that would be the problem source.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 412 of 2,193

Comcast will not address their unfair data caps until they are forced to do so.  The solution is not complaining to Comcast but complaining to those responsible for letting them do it.  While not popular around here, contacting your local government officials and Federal agencies is a proven way to get results.  Public comment had an impact in the recent net neutrality ruling and the denial of the TWC merger.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 413 of 2,193

As long as data caps are in place, increasing speed encourages customers to use more data and thus more $$$ for overage.  In markets where there are no caps, it is a wonderful thing for them to do.  Hopefully the days of Comcast monopolies and little or no regulation will soon come to an end.

Comcast does this to make more money.  They are not a customer focused company nor a benovolent organization!

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 414 of 2,193

What he said. Faster internet encourages larger amounts of data use - even, or rather, especially among average internet users and as long as a cap is in place that means more people hitting the cap and paying ridiculous overage fees.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to have faster internet but I under no illusion that a higher - or no - datacap would accompany said across the board increase.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 415 of 2,193
I pay for my services from comcast to be able to use my internet, phone and cable, including streaming and on demand, so I can use it when I want for as long as I want, so I think your comment is out of line and absolutely of no help whatsoever.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 416 of 2,193

I went from living in Florida and having an unregulated 250GB "cap" to a 300GB regulated cap in Atlanta. They also quadrupled my speed. The result? I've gone over 100% in the first half of every month since. Way to take the joy out of faster service.!

Nothing different in my usage (besides the new ip-based X1 DVR systems in the house which they say doesn't count), yet suddenly I've gone from ~250GB of usage a month to ~750GB of use a month. 

If the X1 isn't the problem, I can only assume that Amazon, Netflix, and YouTube all detected the increased speed and are now delivering higher quality streams.

Even more frustrating, the Xfinity router doesn't show data usage by device like pretty much any other router does so I can't even do anything about isolating the cause of the "over use."

So who's the best to write? I live in an anti-consumer red state; my senators and representatives all prefer to fight for the rights of public corporations over the rights of their constituents. I feel like all I can do is suffer through it and wait for the Google Fiber rollout in Atlanta.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 417 of 2,193

georgiaziem wrote:

So who's the best to write? I live in an anti-consumer red state; my senators and representatives all prefer to fight for the rights of public corporations over the rights of their constituents. I feel like all I can do is suffer through it and wait for the Google Fiber rollout in Atlanta.

I agree it is sad when people you vote for to represent YOU, represent greedy corporations. They need to be voted out.  (Although the millions Comcast spent lobbying to influence the TWC merger was wasted!) It is your local officials, mayors, councilmen etc. that have probably given Comcast the monopoly they have.  In addition, the FCC is responsible to make sure that Comcast acts "in the public interest".  Their unfair data caps are clearly not in the public interest since they are not in ALL markets and are not the same in all markets they are in.  The worst company in America is between a rock and a hard spot.  They desperately want to have caps in all markets but the FCC, FTC, and competition is breating down their backs and obviously they are afraid to do so.  It is not nice to lie to the government as they did in the NBC deal.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 418 of 2,193

The worst thing about the cap is that its not advertised or mentioned in the process of getting comcast in the first place. We are to assume that a data cap was going to be the case without any warning beside after getting it. If they wanted to impose a data cap in the first place they should of made varying options of different amounts for users, 300,400,500, etc in the commericals instead of words like infinite, unlimited, or endless. We are also told that its not limiting us, if you want to continue using your internet connenction (sry meant to say are connection) you have to pay us more to continue using it; but don't worry your not limited. We're also told that 300 is normally not exceeded and that your consumption is rare or above average ( which no one can prove or show, other then from word of mouth) and the data meter is a poor way of showing you. In time when streaming ,downloading, and uploading are becoming frequent, its hard to believe that 300 is normal. With all the people who watch netfilx, youtube and other forms of media ( Comcasts very own Xfintiy streaming) that comsumption is lower then 300 monthly. We pay more money for a faster internet connection, but we are capped at using it over 300 ( Like having a sports car but it can only go 30 mph). Considering that comcast internet is throttling me or others already to make up for stress or so they dont have to upgrade anything; its even harder to belive that this is completely necessary. Didn't they say this is on a trial testing phase, how long has this been going on for? 2 years... well from that assessment I'm pretty sure everyone hates it , but lets keep it anyway in the places that don't have options to leave. Other states that have options don't get this cap or if they are doing this where there are options people change from them. So we have a data cap at 300, we have to measure are usage of a internet connection that we pay for (with a inaccurate very iffy data meter), we have to alter are use of the internet that we pay for, and we have pay them. All without making comcast do anything to improve their service so their customers don't have to go through this at all.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 419 of 2,193

The 300GB cap is so 1990.  Comcast needs to move into 2015 and realize that their caps are out of date and totally unfair.  It is so easy to blow through 20GB in one day with all of the internet connected devices that people now have. Until they are regulated or face more competition, they will do nothing but continue to gouge their faithful customers.  Customers who have no other choice.  One day their chickens will come home to roost!

Posted by
New Poster
Message 420 of 2,193

I posted last month that I was having problems with huge overage of data (according to Comcast).  I have discussed this issue with Xfinity at least three times and not received a very good answer (e.g. some one was stealing my wifi) This month, the problem has stopped. I am using the new desktop app for viewing usage. They seem to have disabled the previous version. Also, I have not be able to get anything on the Xfinity data usage web page. Always zero. However, the actual data seems to be realistic. Maybe some there at Comcast is listening... I suggest everyone download the new app to monitor their data usage. I have been taking a screen shot with both up to document the problem. Hopefully, it has been fixed.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 421 of 2,193

Right on! , but it's more like having a sports car that goes up to 150 mph but you can only drive it 300 miles a month ;0

Posted by
Contributor

Message 422 of 2,193

Wished they would just stop the data cap thing(live in the Memphis area). I keep a watch on my usage but while I have yet to go over, it's still a pain to worry if I will go over.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 423 of 2,193

Andrew32 wrote:

Wished they would just stop the data cap thing(live in the Memphis area). I keep a watch on my usage but while I have yet to go over, it's still a pain to worry if I will go over.

Since the "trial"  period is now almost 2 years old, one must wonder if Comcast takes this long to make every decision.  It is clear they do not care what their customers think.  I really think they would like to go system wide with the caps but the FCC is on to them and their "amnesia" problem so I doubt they will.  Our only hope is for competition and/or regulation.  Just think of the customer goodwill they could generate by announcing the end of data caps!  But then companies out of touch with their customers do not care about perception or goodwill.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 424 of 2,193
Obviously the government is just as unhappy with there conduct as the people are no merger aww shucks.... I still have my FCC complaint out there
Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 425 of 2,193
Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 426 of 2,193

ATTENTION 

Your post was removed to a secure area out of public view because it violates forum posting guidelines.

Forum Guidelines state >>> clickable link http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Forum-Guidelines/Posting-Guidelines/td-p/866289 which everyone should read BEFORE making a first post

Please don't;

Post personal information in the forums

Please do your best to keep your identity and personal information safe. This includes:

Your full name
Your telephone number
Your Physical/Mailing Address
Email addresses <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Credit Card numbers
Account numbers
Personal public IP addresses
Modem MAC address and / or serial number
Active phishing links
Other personally identifiable information

Here is your post with the information removed;

I got xfinity in 2013 used it for almost 2 years wit NO Data cap then suddenly 2 months ago I get a bill for almost $300 I pay for the best net my family is PC Gamers and we use netflix and youtube. You don't say a single word about a Data cap on sales. Not to mention there are areas where you compete with companies you do not enforce your policy of data cap. So you are ripping off community's without enforcing Equal opportunity service as well as hidden info on account sales. And slamming any 20th Century familys..... you can contact me at XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. you need a higher cap for modern family's I pay 120 dollars for my net and my neighbor who pays 30 has the same cap......

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 427 of 2,193
Then look me up on Facebook it's the FF7 image let's start some serious change as numbers I am confident the complaints here are just overlooked just like all the calls I have made and emails sent...
Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 428 of 2,193

This is mainly a customer to customer type of help venue here so you are not necessarily speaking directly to Comcast support. I am not an employee, sorry.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 429 of 2,193
Np I figured as much but nice to see I'm not the only one getting ripped off already reported to BBB as well.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 430 of 2,193
So connection expert should 2 computers run in netflix one youtube and a pc running MMOS and few other online games on the PC with a Steam account be using almost 600 gigs a month.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 431 of 2,193

mikedsgrl wrote:
I pay for my services from comcast to be able to use my internet, phone and cable, including streaming and on demand, so I can use it when I want for as long as I want, so I think your comment is out of line and absolutely of no help whatsoever.

You make an excellent point.  There is no cap on TV or phone but there is on internet!  Perhaps this is due to cord cutters and/or Comcast wanting people to watch their "On Demand" which interestingly does not use your internet like Netflix or Watch ESPN etc.  Seems kinda unfair doesn't it? It may be time to file another complaint with the FCC!

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 432 of 2,193

MichaelSawdey wrote:
Then look me up on Facebook it's the FF7 image let's start some serious change as numbers I am confident the complaints here are just overlooked just like all the calls I have made and emails sent...

Comcast is immune to complaints.  However, the FCC will glady accept your complaint and hold Comcast accountable to address it.  (Some of the Comcast lackeys don't like me telling you that.) Comcast is afraid of what the FCC can do to them and their monopoly.  Public complaints will force the FCC to regulate them.  To show how much they love me, in July I get to start paying the "failed merger tax" of $8.00.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 433 of 2,193

I am in Tucson, Az and we do not hae an option of a higher data plan.  I have been a Comcast customer for many years and never had a problem.  Suddenly this  month my household has reached its data limit.  My daughter's household has gone over as well.  When asked about a higher data limit we were told there was nothing that could be done.  We should not be charged these excessive prices for overages just because we live in one of their test areas.  I pay for the same serices as everyone else, why are some of us limited and others not?  Why am I not allowed to have a higher level of service?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 434 of 2,193

ToniV wrote:

I am in Tucson, Az and we do not hae an option of a higher data plan.  I have been a Comcast customer for many years and never had a problem.  Suddenly this  month my household has reached its data limit.  My daughter's household has gone over as well.  When asked about a higher data limit we were told there was nothing that could be done.  We should not be charged these excessive prices for overages just because we live in one of their test areas.  I pay for the same serices as everyone else, why are some of us limited and others not?  Why am I not allowed to have a higher level of service?

You should file an online complaint with the FCC.  They are looking real hard at the unfair data caps that Comcast is currently using.  Different caps in different markets, no cap in some markets. Years to decide what they are going to do etc.

Just the kind of thing the FCC now has the power to address.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 435 of 2,193

I live in one of the lucky data cap trial cities. Comcast, you are not doing the trials the correct way.  It should have been a blind trial so that you could get an accurate picture of a customer's data usage.  The way you are doing it encourages people to adjust their behavior so that they will not have an overage.  I have turned off all plugins & changed my email settings.  When

we're getting close at the end of the month, I tell my kids they need to limit Netflix & online viewing.  At the end of the trial the results will be what Comcast wanted them to be.  They will say most people did not go over the 300GB data each month so they will then roll it out to all cities.  

Just like when they called & asked how many TVs we had. I probably said 3 but we really had 5. But only 3 were on at same time. I was afraid they were going to start charging for each TV we had. Then the next thing I know they are converting the system so we have to have a box on each TV.They said 3 was the norm so that's all we got for free. Then they gradually started charging for every little thing they could.First the DTA was free then it was 1.99 now it is 2.99 And we now pay a monthy fee for what we can get over the air for free.

My rant is now over.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 436 of 2,193

6284 wrote:

I live in one of the lucky data cap trial cities. Comcast, you are not doing the trials the correct way.  It should have been a blind trial so that you could get an accurate picture of a customer's data usage.  The way you are doing it encourages people to adjust their behavior so that they will not have an overage.  I have turned off all plugins & changed my email settings.  When

we're getting close at the end of the month, I tell my kids they need to limit Netflix & online viewing.  At the end of the trial the results will be what Comcast wanted them to be.  They will say most people did not go over the 300GB data each month so they will then roll it out to all cities.  

I agree. They say that the 300 Gb data cap is a way to limit the burden that high data users put on their network. Personally, I think they're using the data cap as an excuse to bilk people out of more money, especially since their business class subscribers don't have a data cap and I'll betcha that many of them don't use over 300 Gb's a month, simply because most businesses employ filters on their routers that don't let you or their employees do things like watch NetFlix or send out e-mail via smtp ports 587 or 465, which are secure ports. But they're charged $10 extra a month for service. Maybe you can convience Google to bring their fiber service to your area or maybe you can convience your local phone company to bring 1 Gigabit service to your location. Do that and you'll see how fast Comcast drops the data cap. Competetion is great.

I am not paid by Xfinity nor am I an official Xfinity Forum expert. I have nothing but the utmost respect for those in that program & I hope to one day join them. I am a paying customer just like U. Did I happen to answer your question or solve your issue? If so, then please consider giving me Kudos and / or marking my posting as an "Accepted Solution" so that the other contributors can go on to the next issue. Giving me Kudos and / or marking my postings as an "Accepted Solution" is the best way U can thank us. God bless.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 437 of 2,193

You would think that if Comcast is going to have an unfair data cap "trial" in selected markets with different caps, that they would at least provide an easy, reliable usage meter.  Once again this morning when I logged on to check my usage, the meter is "unavailable".  The meter should be available 24/7 in our 24/7 world!

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 438 of 2,193

glennbob wrote:

You would think that if Comcast is going to have an unfair data cap "trial" in selected markets with different caps, that they would at least provide an easy, reliable usage meter.  Once again this morning when I logged on to check my usage, the meter is "unavailable".  The meter should be available 24/7 in our 24/7 world!

The usage meter always disappears on the last day of the month.... it ususally reappears on the first day of the month.... Part of the calculation process that Comcast employs...   It does this in my market....

-=Ray=-

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 439 of 2,193

geek46 wrote:

glennbob wrote:

The usage meter always disappears on the last day of the month.... it ususally reappears on the first day of the month.... Part of the calculation process that Comcast employs...   It does this in my market....

-=Ray=-

I appreciate your response but that does not make it acceptable.  They could take a snapshot of usage at anytime for billing purposes.  It does not require bringing the system down for 24+ hours.  Looks like their IT department is as incompetent as the remainder of the company!

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 440 of 2,193
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 441 of 2,193

Simply put, this "trial period" data cap is nothing more than a cash grab and a means to either 1) try to prevent people from "cutting the cord" or 2) let them cut the cord and charge them an arm and leg to do it.  I won't go into how we severely need competition in this arena to prevent this kind of flat out customer abuse, or how many local laws are in place to help ISPs like Comcast kill competition and keep propping up an old business model, or how Comcast is spending way too much time listening to the wrong crowd (shareholders over customers); BUT I will say this Comcast.  You're really missing the big picture here. 

Things are changing and competition is making it's way through the muck of how hard it is to build out an Internet service and with your current money grab practices, you're putting yourself out of business.  For example, I'm an Atlanta customer and am pretty much stuck with you until Google Fiber is rolled out here soon and when that happens, my family and I are jumping ship to 1GB down/up with NO DATA CAP.  And yes, we've heard about your explanation that you no longer have data caps, but giving customers a 300GB limit of data a month and then charging them extra for going over this IS a data cap and thinking otherwise is exactly what's wrong with this company.  And yes, I also know that the 2GB service is suppose to be coming to the Atlanta area that supposedly has no data cap, but with a belief that the current "trial period" isn't a data cap, then how can we trust that your idea of a data cap is actually what our (your customers) idea of a data cap is or even be reasonably priced? 

It's to the point where I don't think you deserve my money and I'd rather give it to a company who is not giving me all this business speak when I know all you want to do is profit, profit, profit.  I don't even like Google all that much, but I'll gladly take them at this point.  What's funny though is that the easy fix that could solve all this is to simply bend a little and give customers what they actually want...fast Internet speeds, no data caps, reasonable prices/plans for a changing environment, and great customer service.  If you had a history of THESE practices, you might have gotten that merger deal with Time Warner but you have such a bad track record from listening to the wrong crowd that this slipped through your fingers.  Frankly Comcast, I don't have faith that you're up to the task of really making us, the customers, happy.  I'd be absolutely thrilled to be proven wrong, but at this point I think it's just wishful thinking. 

Posted by
New Poster

Message 442 of 2,193

It should not be, I suppose I need to start testing new internet providers.  I am subscribing to the extreme 105 at a cost of $114.95 per Month due to our heavy usage.  If they go with Caps it should only apply to basic plans, not the ones which people are already paying premiums for!  Data caps were not in my contract when I signed up

Also, the data cap of 300GB was not in my contract when I signed up and to just throw this extra charge in my bill I believe would be a bridge of contract since I did not consent for it?  Is anyone familiar with this law?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 443 of 2,193

ehow78 wrote:

give customers what they actually want...fast Internet speeds, no data caps, reasonable prices/plans for a changing environment, and great customer service.  If you had a history of THESE practices, you might have gotten that merger deal with Time Warner but you have such a bad track record from listening to the wrong crowd that this slipped through your fingers.  Frankly Comcast, I don't have faith that you're up to the task of really making us, the customers, happy.  I'd be absolutely thrilled to be proven wrong, but at this point I think it's just wishful thinking. 

Comcast does not understand this in the same way they do not understand that their poor customer service has their business is on very shaky ground.  The cry for competition and regulation is growing and will result in more bad things for Comcast.
Will they wake up and truly change before it is too late?  I doubt it at this point.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 444 of 2,193
Well yeah mines been I. File for a month now with nothing being done I even went as far as proving security assurance they were wrong. Lol they forget I am in it security where I work
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 445 of 2,193

rbezuide wrote:

@dj280

Living in this day and age of HD content, you need to adjust your limits especially when even comcast allows you to stream content via Xfinity on demand.   Here, we'll advertise that you can watch movies and shows online and we'll charge you when you go over the unrealistic limit too.

The real kicker is that if you stream from Comcast, there is no data charges but if you stream via Apple TV or Roku, there is.  After June 12th I look for the FCC to do something on this.  May be a violation of Net Neutrality in some way.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 446 of 2,193
Consumer advocat clark Howard sums it up nicely:

"A new report from ACSI shows that the lowest scores ever earned in their tally are earned by the cable companies. The ACSI is based on a scale of 100, and 70 is considered a passing grade.

Well, Comcast is down from 64 a year ago to 54. Time Warner is down to a 51.

Comcast's overall score including Internet is the lowest of any company ever in history, based on my crunching of the numbers.

Comcast is the worst example of what happens when capitalism is corrupt. They have a monopoly in each community based on a lame Congressional decision years ago.

But the great news is it's always darkest before the dawn. This is the last hurrah for stinking Comcast because the market is about to blow wide open."

Read the full article here: http://www.clarkhoward.com/comcast-is-now-in-the-throes-o?ecmp=clarkhoward_social_facebook_sfp
Posted by
New Poster

Message 447 of 2,193

Okay, I have several problems...the first is I CAN'T get a straight answer out of anyone....Either people were not properly informed of the job, or they just don't know anything about the company. 

WHAT DOES THE DATA USAGE COVER!? 

People have told me that it covers EVERYTHING you do with wifi: Roaming, streaming, gaming, downloading....Another person told me it covers all of the above except roaming...Then I was told it only covers downloading...This is getting frustrating...you're suppose to be the best Internet company around me...and yet I can't get a straight answer. And I couldn't understand half of the people in customer service...So what does the data usage cover? Why does everyone tell me something different each time I call? And why are the people working in customer service not properly informed?

Posted by
New Poster

Message 448 of 2,193

I hope I am posting this in the right place and someone can explain this or tell me how to remedy it.

Until May I was blissfully unaware of the data cap, then I received my bill with $130 in extra data charges.  I never got a warning call or email or anything.  When I called they said I had used 900+ gigs of data in 4 seperate months and they had already forgiven three months and they had to start charging now.  First we were not even living in that house for three of the four months.  Second our average data usage doesn't even get near the cap (76 gigs in May and 17 so far this month.)  We are not gamers and the only streaming we do is the ocaisonal you tube video or news story.  No Netflix, Hulu etc.

When I protested that this can't be right they "opened an investigation."  A few days later they calld me and said the investigation had concluded tht we did use the data and we had to pay.  Several subsequent calls trying to get someone to share the evidence they used to come to this conclusion were met with "we don't have that information."  Well then how did they reach the conclusion?

Anyone else have a similar ecperience?  Any suggestions?

How do I keep this from happening in the future?

BTW it is extremely unlikely we were hacked.  We live on a large lot and there are only two neighbors even possibly close enough and they have their own networks.  We are also 300' from the street and our phones disconnect before we get there plus it is password protected and why would someone only use our data sometimes? 

Posted by
Contributor

Message 449 of 2,193

Yup that started here as well..  I even went as far as showing them screenshots of what we sent and received... BTW i am network security and the infrastructure admin for where i work.  They said it was someone getting onto our wireless i said it was impossible.  the only way they can get on is by giving us there mac ID otherwise there is a no go.  I ended filing a fcc complaint and am still waiting on that....  Lol the sad part is i had my modem off for 72 hours per them.  It was still showing data being used.  There security assurance department is a joke....