New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 350 of 1,950

The sad fact is that Comcast does what is in THEIR best interests and that is PROFIT.  They claim "Customers #1" and then treat them like dirt.  What is needed is more competition.  They have a monopoly on HSI where I live.  I have no other choice, however, that can change.  C-Spire is installing fiber all over the state and hopefully my city officials will see the need to offer its citizens a choice in HSI.

Comcast fears real competition and with the recent changes by the FCC, cities can more easily get into the internet business.  I think if a company has a monopoly, they should be regulated.  It is done to the landline and power companies.  Why not Comcast in areas where they have no competiton?  I have written my Senators and Congressman as well as filed a complaint with the FCC.  Comcast fears regulation.

Hopefully the FTC and FCC will send Comcast a wake up call and reject their "merger" with Time Warner.  Hopefully then they will realize what couild have been IF they had their customers on their side, but I doubt it.  They are too far gone to care. 

Write your elected representatives.  Contact your local officials.  File a complaint with the FCC.  Speak up!

Just my 2 cents!

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 351 of 1,950

Post removed due to a deliberate forum language filter circumvention violation. Please do not try to bypass the filter. thank you. Forum Guidelines (which everyone should read before making his/her first post) state Please Don't 2. Use Profanity Please keep your posts clean. Our forums have an automated profanity filter to block out inappropriate language. Please do not circumvent it by finding colorful ways to approximate or disguise those words. If you are caught trying to bypass the filters in any way, your posting privileges may be revoked.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 352 of 1,950

It would make a preacher want to cuss when seeing how Comcast does not care for their customers and care only about profit!

Only fools are fooled!

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 353 of 1,950

Comcast began charging me for my over usage of their network two months ago without warning. Am I not the only gamer that is being afflicted by this horrible phenomenon?? Seriously Comcast? What possible motives do you have behind this? If I am really trying to utilize the band with on the 50/10 service in my household then I will run out of data within a couple weeks. This is utterly obsurd and is a huge slap in the face to me as a customer. Will deter anyone and everyone I know from your company. What' is the worst part is that in my area Comcast is literally monopolizing the high speed internet market.

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 354 of 1,950

so lets also get this straight, we not only pay for a certain amount of bandwidth for high speed internet, but we now also pay for a data cap? #1 if I would have known this was the way the companys business model was going to trend then I would have never signed up. #2 if this is going to be the case then why not release the highest possible bandwidth to every customer that also has a data cap???? I dont understand it essentially doesn't matter how much faster the internet i buy from you is it is going to hit a 300gb either way whether it takes two weeks or 3. if

Posted by
Visitor

Message 355 of 1,950

Comcast I know someone reads this forum from your company. Its all here in black and white. I am not a crazy customer that is irrational. I work in the customer service/it industry I give great customer service to people everyday. I strongly believe that the goal of an ISP is to empower your customers and to not impose limitations. Basically what your company is telling me is that I use your service too much and need to be charged additionally for it and if I dont like it I can go with someone else. There is no one else in my area. Why should I have to do that? The advertisement stating that the 50/10 bandwidth is great for gaming is false now due to the data cap limitation. Really not just gaming overall home usage. You have made it impossible to not pick up additional charges for normal internet usage amongst multiple people living in one house. Now we are living under a constant threat and anxiety that we may hit our data limit and have to pay additionally. Please either offer me some sort of customer service or I will be sure to push strongly to every one I know or anyone I see moving into a new home or thinking of paying for an ISP to not go with Comcast.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 356 of 1,950

IS there a way for me as a paying Comcast Subscriber to opt out of the data-usage limit?  I would simply like my Internet service to stop working or go to a "there is no more data left" sign.  I do not want to be billed extra for going over on a service which should be limited to MUCH MUCH MORE THAN 300GB.  Try having 3 roomates and everyone streaming or watching their television over the computer.  300GB is not enough and you can easily reach it now, not so maybe 3-4 years ago as they started to introduce these deals.

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE ATLANTA MARKET BEING UNLIMITED?!?!?!?!?

Posted by
Visitor

Message 357 of 1,950

In fact instead of having a grace period they should give you 10% over the limit as a 'safe-zone' because if you are using say 301GB every month that is a ripoff.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 358 of 1,950

We are limited as far as other services in our area. We had very few if any complaints with their service. Now it seems as if they are using the fact that we are limited in our service options to put a limit on the amount of data we can use before being socked in the wallet for overage charges. It seems they changed to this plan very quietly under the radar.

Will there be unlimited plans available for reasonable rates anytime in the future?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 359 of 1,950

The fact that they charge $10 for every 50 GB you use is proof that they are only interested in profit!  They have plenty of GBs.  They need to slow down the "cord cutters" from their cable TV offering.

They have no interest in satisfied customers and will nickel and dime you to death.  Until they are regulated or competitors enter the market ending their monopoly, things will get worse, not better.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 360 of 1,950

Any news of Comcast potentially removing this data cap? 

We have 5 people in our household who are pretty heavy internet users. We stream TV from Albania through the internet. Obviously, Comcast doesn’t offer Albanian TV lol. We do the rest of our stuff (HBO, Sports) on Comcast TV.

We have extreme 105 which does not offer more data over Blast! 50, unfortunately. And we have Voice and TV bundled with them. I thought Voice might have been using some of our data, but I was wrong. But now I’m afraid to get the X1 because it has built in internet, and I don’t want another device eating up GBs.

The cap is ruining how we use the internet. We literally don’t use internet in our last 5-6 days of the month.

It’s obvious they don’t want cord-cutters, so they think having a data cap will force customers to purchased Comcast TV. But what about customers who have Comcast TV bundled with their internet? I guess they can get in trouble of enforcing a data cap on certain customers and not on others?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 361 of 1,950

Has anybody been able to call and manage to get them to not apply the 300 GB data cap to you?

My friend swears that he doesn't have the data cap anymore. He says because  his wife saw the data cap pop notification and called one day and expressed how she didn't know this would happen and so they removed them from the data cap enforcement.

But I don't think he knows what he is talking about. I think he just got a warning one day from Comcast and (without realizing it) never went close to the 300 GB data cap and just assumed they took him off. 

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 362 of 1,950

The data cap is a "trial" in some markets and it is not the same in all markets.  It has been a "trial" for me for over 16 months.  In that time I have exceeded it twice, both in the last 5 months.  Internet usage is not the same today as it was 2 years ago.  More streaming devices and more other devices use the internet.  I would think that 16 months is plenty long enough to come to some decision on this but then we are talking about Comcast.  I think they are waiting to see if the proposed merger with Time-Warner is going to be approved.  The "net neutrailty" ruling did not go their way and hopefully the FCC and FTC will not approve the merger.

Public comment played a large part in the "net neutrality" decision and will play a part in the merger decision as well.  I would encourage you to file a complaint with the FCC and FTC on data caps.  It would also be good to contact your Senators, Congressman, and local officials as well.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 363 of 1,950

It's the last day of the month and I live in a capped area.  A few days ago I thought I had better check my usage so I wouldn't go over the cap and receive a financial penalty.  After digging down to where they hide the usage meter, it said it was not available.  Checked a few more times, same message.  Not a good feeling.  Have the caps been dropped?   

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 364 of 1,950

Nah, no such luck I'm afraid. The meter does usually disappear at the end/start of a new month for a few hours or so, when it resets.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 365 of 1,950

Well day 1 of the month and its 2pm and already blew through 107 gigs of data... 

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 366 of 1,950

Well, look on the bright side of things.  In 2 more days you will have used your monthly allotment and then you can pay Comcast $20.00 a day for the rest of the month.Smiley Wink

(Just what they want!)

Posted by
Contributor

Message 367 of 1,950

Yeah thats not gonna happen ive already pitched a fit with security assurance since i am in it security as well to explain to me with no pcs attached and my sid is only accessible if i have the mac address i dont have any gaming consoles that i can blow that much in a day and not a one has a answer for me yet

Posted by
Visitor

Message 368 of 1,950

57 GB here and I just got home.  Wireless access point is tight and no wireless devices attached.  I question Comcast's data usage calculations

Posted by
Contributor

Message 369 of 1,950

i have been questioning it and they dont ever give you an answer because i dont think they even know probably some canned program that they just install and walk away no one to support it when there is questions

Posted by
Contributor

Message 370 of 1,950

We still dont have a cap im wondering if this becasue we have FIOS in my town.

No doubt comcast will lose customers if it gets enforced here.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 371 of 1,950

Probably FIOS is the reason.  It will take regulation or competition to force Comcast to eat their caps.  Since they have a monopoly in certains areas with HSI.  Congress needs to get off their collective butts and take action.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 372 of 1,950

Help please.

So, here is the issue, my data allowance maxes out, I used one of my allowances, I worried.

The next month, I start watching my usage, still going up, I try all kinds of things, changing wireless passwords, scanning all machines on the network for viruses/malware, etc, it is still rising, I start accusing my son of his usage, and to not download stuff.

So, long story short, I get the phone call and the email saying I've reached 100% I've got one allowance left, I've already spoken to the department (while I was watching my usage going up quick) who deal with this type of thing, and was basically told it was all my fault, and it could be 24 hours behind, etc, basically, it's not Comcast's fault.

So, after this 100%, I'm like, well, I'm on my last allowance, bugger it, download everything i need to, get all my Steam and Origin games up to date, and then I'm on top of it, now more worrying, right?.....wrong.

End of March (this month) I managed to reach 418GB, 118GB over the 300GB as I was getting all my games... good I think, nope, the system is saying, I've managed still to use 112gb in 2 days, yet I've downloaded nothing, my son has been out the house for 48 hours, so it's not him.

Were am I going wrong, is the system goofed up? is it true the roumer I've heard, they are aboloshing the data allowance as they are piloting a 2GB connection in the Atlanta area (one of the trial areas) and they can't use the data allowance, as you'll get up there far to quick.

I'm at my whit ends, I'm stressing about my overages and nobody can help me, not even the people who control this 'allowance', I even managed to speak to level 2 in the department, I wasn't speaking just to the front line agent.

Anybody?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 373 of 1,950

I moved to ATL from a Cox market back in Aug of last year, and was hit hard with the data usage because we never had it.  (I am SUPER HAPPY about 2Gig here - and yes they confirmed no CAPS!)

When I first moved out here, I had the exact same issue, first couple of months, I capped out FAST, and I mean FAST.  I did similar things, shutdown steam, unplugged the XBox, verfiied Wifi Passwords.  I then finally when through my router, and turned on MAC filitering for Wifi, and added a single device at a time.  I was able to narrow it down to a kid, who likes to watch HD videos from the time they get one to bed!.  Cant blame him too much since we came from a No Cap company...  (Did I say I was happy about the 2Gig)

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 374 of 1,950

Just think of the positive customer good will that would be generated by Comcast ending data caps?  Since there is no competition here, I will probably never see it.

Dream, dream, dream!

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 375 of 1,950

This is our LAST month with Comcast because this will be the third month to go over 300GB. Jan was over 850GB and that would have been an extra $110 added to bill.

On day 4 of this month we hit 47% used and only one tablet and one Roku have current access.  I even unplug modem at night but I still see the numbers go up.  We have streamed at most 9 hours of Netflix this month but I have found you can not argue with Comcast because their meters are "ACCURATE".  

Yes I check to see if anyone else is accessing our service and I even change password just in case.  Funny thing, my neighbor has Comcast, four people stream and play X-Box on line for hours and hours and he has never reached 100GB's.....?

Go figure while I am forced to go to U-Verse which has no caps in my area but a far inferior speed & reliability.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 376 of 1,950

Anyone who has a 4K TV who tries to obtain 4K media from Netflix, Amazon Prime, or other similar services discovers very quickly that they can use up the Comcast data cap in just a few days. The solution is to make sure you don't view anything higher than 1080 resolution - which negates your ability to make use of the latest technology. I guess Comcast should simply advertise they only support outmoded customer equipment.

For those who are surprised upon awaking on the first of the month to see that they have already been charged for 30gb (for instance) and it's only 8am, I found that Comcast uses what they call "internet time" which apparently tosses you into the next month at about 7pm Eastern time on the last day of the previous month.

I have been a Comcast customer for over 20 years here in Atlanta. Over that time I have complained about overbilling many times. The monthly fee kept being raised until it reached nearly $300/mo for internet, TV, and phone.

I finally cancelled cable TV and am happily using free antenna TV along with some Channel Master DVR units. I then purchased a $30 Obiha internet adapter and now have perfect quality phone service at ZERO cost per year!

The last Comcast service I have is internet, but after monthly complaints about being charged for a Comcast cable modem which I never had (always used my own cable modem), and dealing with this data cap, I am now switching to AT&T for internet service.

Congratulations Comcast, you have driven off a customer of 20 years. I will never return even if you offer triple play for only $10/mo because of your incompetence and mistreatment.

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 377 of 1,950

emeryh wrote:

For those who are surprised upon awaking on the first of the month to see that they have already been charged for 30gb (for instance) and it's only 8am, I found that Comcast uses what they call "internet time" which apparently tosses you into the next month at about 7pm Eastern time on the last day of the previous month.

The meter operates on universal time (UT or GMT) which is common in networking. This means that the "new month" which will show a meter reset to zero appears in the evening of the last day of the month across the US. For example, Eastern Time is typically 5 hours behind UT or GMT.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 378 of 1,950

Nashville_Wormw wrote:

Go figure while I am forced to go to U-Verse which has no caps in my area but a far inferior speed & reliability.

Uverse has caps: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB409045&cv=812&_requestid=2574882#fbid=iMFCODdW5Gz.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 379 of 1,950

I don't know if this is the right forum, but I just got a warning that I had reached 90% of usage for the month. Which seemed weird, since it's the 11th. So I downloaded the usage app thing, and apparently I'm at 279 gigs. And it's the 11th. Then I noticed my history. March I used 192 gigs. Feb & Jan - 62 gigs and 41 gigs. And I haven't changed my internet habits at all. So not only am I getting boned by Comcast with a data limit - I'm either getting pirates on my network, or something super wierd is going on.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 380 of 1,950

I have gone over twice in the 6 months and there were reasons why.  However, I still think that the data cap "trial" by Comcast is totally unfair due to the fact that it is only in certain markets and the criteria differs from one market to another.  They do not take into acoount the speed you pay for and if you do not use all of the 50 GB increments you pay for, you lose it.  It is a clear money grab by Comcast who cares not what their customers think.

The only thing that will force Comcast to change is competition or regulation.  You need to file a complaint with the FCC and the FTC and contact your Senators, Congressman and local officials.

Comcast has proven to not serve the public interest and their monopoly in certain areas should be addressed.  A good start would be for their merger with Time-Warner to be denied.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 381 of 1,950

Hey it is now the 12th and have blown through the data cap and then some and guess what else security assurance never followed up there is a shocker i will tell you ill pay the internet and cable but i will refuse to pay the overages when its on their end... enough said and sick of the oh yeah we will call you... i guess there customer retention skills need to be addressed

Posted by
Visitor
Message 382 of 1,950

@devonsuter - I am chatting with them now, I am having the same problem.  They told me I hit 300GB on the 10th, and then today (the 13th) I am at 454GB.  There is no way I used 300GB in 10 days, let alone another 154GB in only 3 days.  Something has to be broken on their end.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 383 of 1,950

I am not aware that Comcast has any customer skills.  To develop customer skills you have to care about the customer.  Comcast says they "care" however their walk does not match their talk.

OK Comcast, show you care and stop all this data cap nonsense!  Prove me wrong.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 384 of 1,950

Yeah and they will admit nothing

Posted by
Contributor

Message 385 of 1,950

The data cap is mandatory in certain area's and if you are in that area no one is going to turn it off for you.

I have done the following and I STILL have the cap

Called Comcast monthly to complain about the cap

Filed formal complaints with the FCC, BBB, FTC stating these caps are due to regional monpolies Comcast has over my area.

I have gotten calls back from comcast referencing my complaints to these government agencies and they STILL will not budge an inch on these caps

Emailed the care email address severl times and gotten repsonses back each time and they refuse to drop the cap.

At this point I've pretty much done everything within my power as a consumer to formally complain about these caps and Comcast will not budge on this.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 386 of 1,950

Dada cap is supposedly 250 GB. Such a small cap will not allow me to process data for World Community Grind or SETI. I do a lot of donating computer time to various non profit and research organizations using virtual machines. These are computers not cell phones. When they start applying the cap the only way around it is to get a business account. It costs less than the 50Mbps account and has unlimited data.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 387 of 1,950

The same local officials whom have given Comcast a monopoly will one day want your vote. If they refuse to do anything, support their opponent and get them out of office.  They should be as interested in providing options for their citizens and businesses as you are.

One day, your Senators and Congressman will want your support.  Tell them what they must do to get it.  Ask them what they have done and/or plan to do to make the field more competitive.  It's time for them to get off their butts and do something!

Be a squeaky wheel - it is the one that gets the oil!

Posted by
Visitor

Message 388 of 1,950

why is there a data cap? by data cap i mean only being able to download so much befor being charged extra? why is this in place? does comcast loose money if they do not do this?

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 389 of 1,950

What XFINITY Internet Data Usage Plans will Comcast be Launching?

We'll be launching multiple trial approaches, and here is an overview:

In the Nashville, Tennessee market, we have increased our monthly data usage plan for all XFINITY Internet tiers to 300 GB per month and also offer additional gigabytes in increments/blocks ( e.g., $10.00 per 50 GB ). This trial began on August 1, 2012.

In the Tucson, Arizona market, we announced in 2012 that the data amount included with Economy Plus through Performance XFINITY Internet tiers would increase from 250 GB to 300 GB. Those customers subscribed to the Blast! Internet tier, have received an increase in their data usage plan to 350 GB; Extreme 50 customers have received an increase to 450 GB; Extreme 105 customers have received an increase to 600 GB. As in our other trial market areas, we offer additional gigabytes in increments/blocks of 50 GB for $10.00 each in the event the customer exceeds their included data amount. This trial began on October 1, 2012.

In Huntsville and Mobile, Alabama; Atlanta, Augusta and Savannah, Georgia; Central Kentucky; Maine; Jackson, Mississippi; Knoxville and Memphis, Tennessee and Charleston, South Carolina, we have begun a trial which will increase our data usage plan for all XFINITY Internet tiers to 300 GB per month and will offer additional gigabytes in increments/blocks ( e.g., $10.00 per 50 GB ). In this trial, XFINITY Internet Economy Plus customers can choose to enroll in the Flexible-Data Option to receive a $5.00 credit on their monthly bill and reduce their data usage plan from 300 GB to 5 GB. If customers choose this option and use more than 5 GB of data in any given month, they will not receive the $5.00 credit and will be charged an additional $1.00 for each gigabyte of data used over the 5 GB included in the Flexible-Data Option. The trial dates for these regions were as follows: Hunstville – November 1, 2013; Mobile – October 1, 2013; Atlanta – December 1, 2013; Augusta – November 1, 2013; Savannah – September 1, 2013; Central Kentucky – September 1, 2013; Maine – December 1, 2013; Jackson – September 1, 2013; Knoxville – October 1, 2013; Memphis – November 1, 2013; Charleston – November 1, 2013.

In Fresno, California, Economy Plus customers also have the option of enrolling in the Flexible-Data Option. This trial began on August 22, 2013.

Each of these options requires that those who choose to use more of the service pay more than others. The Flexible-Data Option adds an alternative, permitting those who choose to use less to pay less.

Non-Trial Areas
In non-trial areas, customers continue to have a 250 GB plan; however, enforcement of this plan is not currently occurring while we evaluate the trial results.

Data Usage:

For usage-related questions, customers may contact Comcast's Customer Security Assurance (CSA) at 1-877-807-6581.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 390 of 1,950

topher2zero wrote:

why is there a data cap? by data cap i mean only being able to download so much befor being charged extra? why is this in place? does comcast loose money if they do not do this?

It is clearly a money grab by Comcast.  They have plenty of bandwidth.  The fact that the caps are in selected markets only and not on Business Class is all the proof needed.  I really think their poor treatment of their customers, and data caps is an example, will result in a denial of their desire to buy Time Warner.  When it does, perhaps Comcast will realize just how valuable it would have been to have had their customers on their side.  Comcast has a monopoly in certain areas and their practices in these areas show that they are not serving the public interest.

The Justice Department and the FCC should say NO to the merger!  It is not in the piublics interest.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 391 of 1,950

Nice! Looks like Google Fiber is already starting to keep Comcast in check... http://www.bidnessetc.com/40246-comcast-corporation-stakes-its-claim-by-announcing-2gbps-internet-in...

Guess what...when Google Fiber expands to my area in the future...I will certianly leave Comcast even if Comcast brings their prices down. They have done nothing to earn my loyalty....

Posted by
Contributor

Message 392 of 1,950

I just filed a complaint with the FCC after all this stuff they are trying to tell me everything is fine.  I told them to shove it

Posted by
Visitor
Message 393 of 1,950

I find it absurd that I am paying for the best "service" you own (for an absorbitant amount of money I might add) and I am being forced into a cap / pay for punishmant plan of 300gb per month. I am a pharmacist, I am a gamer, and I am a ticked off that I am being nickel and dimed for every last cent when this business has a monopoloy on the internet market here in Memphis,TN.

With the size of games on the internet today (60gb for GTA V), and the need for constant connection, I burn through near half that alottment in 1 week. 10+ years I've gone straight to comcast for the most reliable, fastest, (almost never the cheapest) internet + tv service provider available and was ok so long as I didnt feel I got shackled by these unnecessary (and unlawful - net neutrality) restrictions.

I can not wait for the days where google or some other powerhouse comes and takes you lousy, no good, snake in the grass, money grubbing, thieves and puts you in your place, taking your market share and showing you how to please customers. 

As soon as I can find a suitable alternative, I will be dropping comcast like a cigarette in a bucket of kerosene and I'm gonna love to watch it burn.

Feel free to contact and discuss what you will do to make it up to us the consumer.... or more accurately, delete this post or ignore it like the heathens you are.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 394 of 1,950

Don't feel bad I filed an official complaint with the FCC today I'm done dealing with the our stuff is working fine load they give you

Posted by
Visitor
Message 395 of 1,950

In my internet dashboard I read ""Note: Enforcement of the 250GB data consumption threshold is currently suspended."". After a quick search I come up with this forum post on Comcasts website... This post leads me to believe that in my market, I can go over 250 GB and not be charged $10 per 50 GB. So to confirm this, I chatted with comcast, and was basically told that is 100% not true. I was told that all customers either have a 250 or 300 GB cap and going over will result in automatic charges of $10 per 50 GB.

I understand that post is a around a year old, but I can not find any information saying otherwise. So in the end, which is it?? Will I be charged for going over 250GB or not? 

If it helps and or matters, I live in the Chicago area.

On a side note, I have only had my internet connected about a week, and my account status claims I have used 94 GB. This will obviously pose a huge issue since 94*4 is well over 250 GB. But I am confused as to how I have used that much in such little time!

Before I used WiFi tethering from my wireless carrier for internet, and with all the same devices and same usage, I used around 45 GB a week. Now I am mystically using around 94. Is there some type of startup download that used all this data (I am aware that the equipment needed to update when first connected, but did not expect this to be a 45 GB update)? It is almost as If I have a water leak, but for my internet... And yes, my network is secure.

Thanks for any info!

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 396 of 1,950

I posted this elsewhere but am reposting here.

"Comcast has been doubling the capacity of its network every 18 months" according to this press release http://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/news-feed/2-gig-internet-california. If capacity has been increasing at that rate why haven't the data caps increased as well?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 397 of 1,950

Well it's been 21 days since I noticed my "We're sorry. We can't load your internet usage meter right now." message on my account.  Maybe since I am paying them so much for Triple Play they decided to give me a break.  

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 398 of 1,950

Alyusha wrote:

In my internet dashboard I read ""Note: Enforcement of the 250GB data consumption threshold is currently suspended."". After a quick search I come up with this forum post on Comcasts website... This post leads me to believe that in my market, I can go over 250 GB and not be charged $10 per 50 GB. So to confirm this, I chatted with comcast, and was basically told that is 100% not true. I was told that all customers either have a 250 or 300 GB cap and going over will result in automatic charges of $10 per 50 GB.

I understand that post is a around a year old, but I can not find any information saying otherwise. So in the end, which is it?? Will I be charged for going over 250GB or not? 

If it helps and or matters, I live in the Chicago area.

On a side note, I have only had my internet connected about a week, and my account status claims I have used 94 GB. This will obviously pose a huge issue since 94*4 is well over 250 GB. But I am confused as to how I have used that much in such little time!

Before I used WiFi tethering from my wireless carrier for internet, and with all the same devices and same usage, I used around 45 GB a week. Now I am mystically using around 94. Is there some type of startup download that used all this data (I am aware that the equipment needed to update when first connected, but did not expect this to be a 45 GB update)? It is almost as If I have a water leak, but for my internet... And yes, my network is secure.

Thanks for any info!

Alyusha, unfortunately the rep you spoke to gave you the wrong info. The 250 limit is still suspended in the Chicago area. You will not be charged for going over. In fact if you scroll up the page to message 391, Comcast George gives full details of where the trial limits are in force.

Hope you find the water leak, before it does come into effect though!

Posted by
Visitor
Message 399 of 1,950

Thanks for the info everyone. I do not think it will be possible to stay below 250 GB. Since I posted this originally I have used another 15 GB while sleeping and at work! Something is not right.

Thanks again!