New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 300 of 1,722 (7,521 Views)

Re: The DATA CAP MEGA THREAD....post data cap questions or comments here.

I'm in Roswell - moving house to get in a Google Fiber neighborhood isn't nuts, right?

I wonder if Google will consider expanding the scope of the project if other neighborhoods have suitable infrastructure and start to play ball after they see positive impacts in neighboring areas?  I saw an article recently about AT&T Uverse gigabit service coming to Atlanta (probably by 2050), so someone's jimmies are rustled at least.  And so they should be.  If customers get a real choice they'll never retain customers they treated like garbage for so long.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 301 of 1,722 (8,103 Views)

LOL, I've thought about moving myself!  I'm in Marietta, 12 miles from Smyrna where there WILL be service in the first phase!  I'm newly retired (early) and need to downsize anyway.  I was thinking about those cute Craftsman homes I've seen in Smyrna near Vinings (as long as all Smyrna zip codes are included).  They are close to 285 so would probably be included.  They are keeping it pretty much inside the perimeter except Smyrna as far as I can see.  

raelic wrote:

I'm in Roswell - moving house to get in a Google Fiber neighborhood isn't nuts, right?

I wonder if Google will consider expanding the scope of the project if other neighborhoods have suitable infrastructure and start to play ball after they see positive impacts in neighboring areas?  I saw an article recently about AT&T Uverse gigabit service coming to Atlanta (probably by 2050), so someone's jimmies are rustled at least.  And so they should be.  If customers get a real choice they'll never retain customers they treated like garbage for so long.

Posted by
Edited on
‎02-06-2015 02:51 AM

Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 302 of 1,722 (8,082 Views)

Data Cap

[ Edited ]

Well Comcast, I guess you figured out how to squeeze more money out of your customers and punish them for using other streaming services other than your own.  Oh what a wonderful thing corporate greed is!  Here's my response:

1.  I've turned off all pay services.

2.  I reduced all other services as much as possible.

3.  I use my unlimited data plan through my cell phone company.

4.  I refuse to recommend Comcast to anyone. 

5.  I refuse to rent any of your movies.

6.  Here's the one you'll love.  I have about 15 business class Comcast accounts that will not be in service much longer.  They will be switched to one of your competitors.  I don't have much choice at home, but at work, different story.

Enjoy you data caps!

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 303 of 1,722 (8,052 Views)

Nashville_Wormw wrote:

i-am-nerdburg wrote:

Nashville_Wormw wrote:

The only device using internet was Roku 3 streaming  Netflix in HD (not ultra HD).  I have serious doubts about the accuracy of metering!.....and I watch Netflix up to 12 hours a day.

Netflix uses around 2-3 GB per hour for HD content. So if you watch an average of 10 hours a day @ 2 GB hour, you would use 20 GB in a single day. This means you would reach your usage limit in about 15 days. 

Yes I know. My whole point is a small fracton are being monitored in the US and a small number of those being monitored are exceeding the data limits. So I guess from your response is that you support what Comcast is doing, or at least have no problem with it.  

No, I don't support it all. I'm just saying that your consumption reported by Comcast is not out of line for your usage habits. If anything, it illustrates how bad of an idea low data caps are for the average consumer. I'm on your side, I use 600-800 GB a moth.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 304 of 1,722 (8,050 Views)

dmartin1910 wrote:

When Google Fiber does the phase 2 expansion in Atlanta, hasta la vista baby!!!

It will be really interesting to see how Comcast deals with data caps when Google Fiber comes to town....it seems pretty clear Comcast chose Atlanta for the trials because of the lack of competition there. Will they change their tune when Google shows up?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 305 of 1,722 (8,037 Views)

I hope comcast cuts the cap in ATL, it really sucks where I live my choice are comcast whihc I have the 105MBPS service or ATT whihc can only go up to 12MBPS in my area. That is a joke of a choice.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 306 of 1,722 (8,009 Views)

swanlee wrote:

I hope comcast cuts the cap in ATL, it really sucks where I live my choice are comcast whihc I have the 105MBPS service or ATT whihc can only go up to 12MBPS in my area. That is a joke of a choice.

Where I live the choice is to have 3 MBPS Uverse. That's as fast as they go. Metro PCS is starting to do unlimited data, but even they throttle it after a while, depending on usage. Besides, not an option anyway. 

I'm at 9 Gigs this month so far. And I'm on constantly. Don't know how people can use as much data as they do. I am happy to have speeds, but to be honest, I really don't notice a huge difference in anything except file downloads. 

Posted by
Contributor

Message 307 of 1,722 (7,810 Views)

9 GB..I wish. I am at 147 GB this month so far. There are 6 people in my house who all stream. I have been controlling the usage but it just all adds up daily.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 308 of 1,722 (7,720 Views)

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE.....FOR THE LAST COUPLE OF MONTHS,COMCAST IS TELLING ME AN MY WIFE THAT WE ARE USING 700 AN  UP TO 800 GB...THERE IS ONLY A LAPTOP AND A TABLET THATS BEING USED IN MY HOME.WE HAVE WENT SO FAR AS TO CHANGE OUR WIFI PASSWORD 4TO5 TIMES WEEKLY.WE HAVE MALWARE AND NORTON IS SAYING WE HAVE NO VIRUSES,HELP/// I REALLY NEED ADVICE...

Posted by
Contributor

Message 309 of 1,722 (7,708 Views)

I can do 9gb's in two hours watching HD netflix. It's not that hard at all to use over 10gb a day and go over the 300gb cap

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 310 of 1,722 (8,215 Views)

I can believe that, as apparently for the 2 days my service was completely out at my house, as in no connection, could not even load a page, I used 17GB and I didn't even check my mail.  My modem must have REALLY been trying to connect again.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 311 of 1,722 (8,206 Views)

jwndw1989 wrote:

I can believe that, as apparently for the 2 days my service was completely out at my house, as in no connection, could not even load a page, I used 17GB and I didn't even check my mail.  My modem must have REALLY been trying to connect again.

I would insist on 2 day's credit for no service at the very least!  I have gotten 1 day's credit for more than 12 hours outage twice before.  They can easily confirm what's going on and will give the credit if you complain about it.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 312 of 1,722 (8,205 Views)

swanlee wrote:

I can do 9gb's in two hours watching HD netflix. It's not that hard at all to use over 10gb a day and go over the 300gb cap

I know right?  I can't believe the national average monthly GB usage is as low as they say it is!  I mean is the rest of the country little old ladies emailing the family once a week or something?  Who doesn't have at least one computer, 2 cells, maybe a wifi printer, a streaming device like Roku, Apple TV or a gaming device?  And now with smart TV's and devices?  I really have a hard time believing what they say.  

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 313 of 1,722 (8,213 Views)

Jacky404 wrote:

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE.....FOR THE LAST COUPLE OF MONTHS,COMCAST IS TELLING ME AN MY WIFE THAT WE ARE USING 700 AN  UP TO 800 GB...THERE IS ONLY A LAPTOP AND A TABLET THATS BEING USED IN MY HOME.WE HAVE WENT SO FAR AS TO CHANGE OUR WIFI PASSWORD 4TO5 TIMES WEEKLY.WE HAVE MALWARE AND NORTON IS SAYING WE HAVE NO VIRUSES,HELP/// I REALLY NEED ADVICE...

Shut down your modem/router entirely for a day (maybe a weekend when you're going out of town?) and see if anything STILL registers.  Then turn the modem/router on but unplug (to remove ANY doubt) all devices.  If it goes way up the modem/router must be looping having issues staying connected and wasting precious data.  Or if you are using the computer it may be a transmission problem, packet loss, etc., wasting data.  You can check your logs or there are some online programs you can purchase to check that.  I'm not a computer tech but I tinker around with it alot because I use it so much in a day.  Go to your router IP address (mine is Motorola) and see what diagnostics say on your router's url is another way to see what the diagnostic/configuration logs say.

Posted by
Edited on
‎02-16-2015 02:27 AM

Regular Contributor

Message 314 of 1,722 (8,198 Views)

[ Edited ]

Stretchman wrote:

swanlee wrote:

Where I live the choice is to have 3 MBPS Uverse. That's as fast as they go. Metro PCS is starting to do unlimited data, but even they throttle it after a while, depending on usage. Besides, not an option anyway. 

I'm at 9 Gigs this month so far. And I'm on constantly. Don't know how people can use as much data as they do. I am happy to have speeds, but to be honest, I really don't notice a huge difference in anything except file downloads. 

For cellular I have TMobile truly unlimited data plan.  I haven't noticed they throttle.  They even gave me a signal repeater to use (no charge while a customer) when I told them my 4G signal wasn't even reaching inside my house (I live near a small mountain).  The ISP offerings in your area is unfortunate, though.  When you're only going 3MBPS you can't use as much data per unit of time. My Router transmits about 60 mbps to your 3 mbps, so do the math.  There's probably a lot of things it's too frustrating to TRY to stream, lol.  I cut the cord because I don't watch sports and I'd rather pay "ala carte" or get it free online and I DO come out ahead.  When my Netflix/Amazon use is approaching 250, I just download things on my TMobile phone and transmit via cable to my laptop and watch on the TV via HDMI.  I usually go over 200 GB every month but don't allow Comc*** to get one extra penny out of me!

And I live in ATL too swanlee...you can forget any removal of caps until Google Fibre comes to ATL.  It won't be in my zip code in the first phase, but maybe the whole ATL area will benefit if Comc*** removes caps to compete with GF!

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 315 of 1,722 (8,027 Views)

Data cap yes it is a cap

For months i haven't heard anything about this stupid trial and my usage meter reflects that. But here we are in February and suddenly they are tracking it again and threatening to charge me for going over the ridiculous limit of 300 gigs. Att or Google need to lay the fiber they plan ASAP so i can drop this ridiculous company for good.
Posted by
Networking Expert

Message 316 of 1,722 (7,808 Views)

Please do not circumvent the language filters, which had already advised that you were using an unacceptable word.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 317 of 1,722 (7,619 Views)

I use a router that monitors my throughput. I can pull the useage for certain spans of time. I never exceed 225G and I average about 1270G/month. I called into Comcast's support, and asked if they could tel me a particulr day that has more useage than others, and the support guy told me that they have not insight into daily usage. This is not true...but he stood by his word. I explained that for me to hit 300G I would need to stream 100 + movies... I mean really??? Then he asked me if I gamed...that was when the call needed to end. Gaming doesn't use up Gigabits of bandwidth. I think Comcast needs to be true and actuall for this usage charge. If you are going to charge, you need to prove it. We should have a look into usage from a daily, and even hourly perspective...it would be better if they just didn't charge at all...but if you're gonna charge us, at least provide us with detail that we can compare to our own monitoring devices. Comcast just needs to be honest.

Posted by
Edited on
‎02-26-2015 02:15 PM

Contributor

Message 318 of 1,722 (7,606 Views)

[ Edited ]

Well the FCC won so hopefully comcast and other ISP's will be subjected to legit competition soon or even government regulation preventing these type of caps in area's with no ISP competition.

It is no coicidence these "trial" data caps are only in area's where Comcast has next to no real ISP competition.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 319 of 1,722 (7,591 Views)

They are really going to be hurting in the Atlanta area since Google Fiber is going to available to most of the large areas inside the perimeter..that's like 70% of their customers in the Atlanta area. I can hardly wait.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 320 of 1,722 (7,568 Views)

I hate having to monitor my usage like some weight watcher counting calories. My beef is in my area everyone regardless of what tier are on the same 300GB limit. I know I am an extreme user and always have been therefore I pay extra for the extreme 105 service but am still bound by 300GB. The limits should increase with each tier like it does in Tucson. Why is Tucson the only market that uses this? It is because they needed this to test and to make the most $ they pick 1 small market and they rest they lump together so there is a greater chance of extra profits of users going over the cap. It has been over 1 year 3 months since this "test" began. When will it end? I predict they will go with the Tucson caps everywhere, when I dont know. Its ironic how they wanted to be the first ISP on IPv6 and they hurried to make that happen but are taking their sweetass time in this test. Tucson info: In the Tucson, Arizona market, we announced in 2012 that the data amount included with Economy Plus through Performance XFINITY Internet tiers would increase from 250 GB to 300 GB. Those customers subscribed to the Blast! Internet tier, have received an increase in their data usage plan to 350 GB; Extreme 50 customers have received an increase to 450 GB; Extreme 105 customers have received an increase to 600 GB. As in our other trial market areas, we offer additional gigabytes in increments/blocks of 50 GB for $10.00 each in the event the customer exceeds their included data amount. This trial began on October 1, 2012.
Posted by
Edited on
‎02-27-2015 11:52 PM

Visitor
Message 321 of 1,722 (7,756 Views)

How can we be using 15-20 gigs of data each day?!

[ Edited ]

Our usage has jumped from 35 gigs in November to over 390 gigs in February!  How can this be?  I called the office and they transferred me to a higher up individual and all he coulld think of was.. is my Television set up right.  We have no Netflix, etc. I even unplugged the ethernet cable from our smart HDTV and we are still showing 15-20 gigs of data being used every day.  

The only change we made in our service was adding a Phoneline via the TriplePlay option. Would adding a phone increase the data usage that much or even any? We hardly even use the phone.  There's just two of us in the household and we basically just check e-mails and occasionally watch a youtube video  Thanks in advance for any possible solutions?  Were about to dump Comcast if we can't figure this out!

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 322 of 1,722 (7,724 Views)

Re: How can we be using 15-20 gigs of data each day?!

It doesn't matter if you use that much. Me personally i was going over a lil bit for the past few months 320-340 but this month i open my wifi for everybody and streaming full hd movies from netflix 20 -25 gb an hour. Best quality ever. You know why? Because i felt discriminated that comcast telling me you only have this amount of internet but somebody else 50 miles down the road - unlimited. So i wanna see the bill and take them to court. Im close to 2 tb now. Im sick and tired to watch how much i use plus their application meter usage wont work. So why do i have to pay way more for the same amount of data in different market. 2 tb my bill should be 380 dollars versus 39.99. 2 terabyte a month its a one movie a day in 4k quality plus surfing and streaming pandora, sending emails etc for 4-7 internet devices a month. And by the way netflix already paying comcast so we can watch it unthrottled.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 323 of 1,722 (7,722 Views)

Plus there is nothing in the contract about 300 gb cap. Well comcast saying that go-over cap charges mandated by law. All right comcast, prove me wrong.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 324 of 1,722 (7,503 Views)

raelic wrote:

In light of the FCC ruling today (http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/02/fcc-votes-for-net-neutrality-a-ban-on-paid-fast-lanes-and-ti... I thought people might be interested to know that they can file a complaint with the FCC (https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us) concerning Comcast's use of internet usage caps.

Here are some talking points one might use:

- In light of the vote by the FCC to protect a free and open internet I would like to file a complaint about Comcast's use of internet usage caps in the XXXX market.  

- The caps are set at a low level to actively prevent customers from cancelling bundled TV services.  

- While I understand the need to have rules to deter serial bandwidth abusers, I feel that the current caps in the XXXX market  are in place due to a virtual monopoly and as a means to force additional services on consumers provided by Comcast

- Internet usage caps prevent consumers from switching to alternative providers for video services and effectively destroy competition in the markeplace.

there should be no caps at all especially not when comcast themselves says 99% of users get no where close to the cap...

if 99% of the users dont hit the cap why should i be limited to an extremely small 300GBS? oh wait because its complete bull that 99% of users use under 300 Gigs in a day and age where the internet is a necessity and eats 300 gigs easy

Posted by
Visitor
Message 325 of 1,722 (7,454 Views)

Awesome.. stick it to them!  Shoot for 3TB!

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 326 of 1,722 (7,429 Views)

Finally our first month under 300GB!!!  But February was a crazy month for us & Netflix was accessed 15-20 hours max.  We still managed to bust past 250GB mostly from surfing.

What I am confused about is why did the "Usage Meter" reset to zero at the end of day February 27?  I think February is short enough with only 28 days.  I could be wrong about this but I thought the meter was based on an "entire calendar month".

Just curious if anyone else noticed...

Posted by
Visitor
Message 327 of 1,722 (7,363 Views)

Re: Data Cap in test Markets

this data cap thing is stupid. What this means for me is that the second I get the option, I am switiching to another cable company

Posted by
Visitor

Message 328 of 1,722 (7,346 Views)

There is no question that Comcast's data usage calculations are a scam.  Despite all the terrible things we've heard about Comcast, and our bad experiences with them in the past, in early January we switched our internet from AT&T U-verse to Comcast.  AT&T had a 250GB cap, and for 6 years we never even approached the cap.  Then in January we hit 287GB and in February we were at 313GB.  18 hours into March, Comcast says we used 20GB of data--more than 1GB per hour, even though we were asleep or not at home for most of that time.  Our usage patterns have not changed at all since we switched; we are out of the house at work and school all day, and the only streaming we do is a couple of Netflix TV shows a day and a couple of hours of youtube music on the weekend.  The rest is just email and web surfing in the evenings and on weekends.  I have spent hours on the phone with Comcast, and all they have to say is that they paid a consultant to tell them their data calculations are perfect and that either we're downloading literally torrents of data or someone else is using our wifi.  None of that is correct.  In fact, one of the Comcast techs told us that it is "impossible" -- her word -- for us to be using as much data as Comcast says we are.  The data calculator on Comcast's website confirms that we cannot be using more than 100GB a month.  Not that that has gotten us anywhere.  

We are switching back to AT&T and waiting for Google Fiber, which with any luck will put Comcast out of business.  I would gladly pay more just to avoid ever having to deal with Comcast again.  They truly deserve their reputation for scamming their customers and providing the worst customer service in the history of modern commerce.  

Posted by
Contributor

Message 329 of 1,722 (7,294 Views)

I am curious I have posted in another post but what is comcast using as a data cap is it anything internet related what about there cable products such as on demand etc?  I am in IT and have proven to them time and time again including screenshots of my throughput of data out and in past there xfinity modem  that i am forced to use because i have there phone service as well

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 330 of 1,722 (7,287 Views)

lklasing wrote:

I am curious I have posted in another post but what is comcast using as a data cap is it anything internet related what about there cable products such as on demand etc?  I am in IT and have proven to them time and time again including screenshots of my throughput of data out and in past there xfinity modem  that i am forced to use because i have there phone service as well

OnDemand is delivered over Comcast's network (not the internet) so it does not count against your cap. At one time you could stream some content over the Xbox with the Xfinity app w/o it counting against your cap. I don't know if that is still a thing or not. Comcast voice data does not count towards your usage. I don't know if data related to home security does or not. 

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 331 of 1,722 (7,277 Views)

all i know is this thing is messed up the data cap needs to be reviewed as it is inaccurate as it has been proven. I will not be paying the overages at all and will complain right up the chain on that one as i have a open ticket already open for this exact problem

Posted by
Contributor

Message 332 of 1,722 (7,276 Views)

Oh and another thing i found interesting is that when i talked with comcast support they flat out told me there techs are installing modems that are malfunctioning and selling the good ones?  what is up with that

Posted by
Visitor
Message 333 of 1,722 (7,198 Views)

Just like everyone else, a data cap was never mentioned when we signed up for service. And it is more than obvious that comcast's data meter is either wrong, or their equipment is somehow pulling data it shouldn't be. There is no other explanation for there being so many of us customers suddenly using (sometimes as much as four times as much) data since we were included in their TEST market without doing anything different than we were before. And by the way, shouldn't they have been required to notify their customers before including them in their test?(other than some small press release that they knew most of us would never see!) I live in a small town where comcast is the ONLY option for Internet, so there is nothing we can do but deal with it. But I think it is terrible that they care so much more about profit, than they do about keeping their customers happy. Which could work in their favor if we are happy enough to recommend them. I understand that business's need to be profitable, but what bothers me is the links that comcast is going to for the highest profit margin they can get. I really hope the FCC will step in & do something to make comcast use fair bussiness practices & stop sticking it to people like us, who now have to live on a smaller income since my husband's cancer diagnosis. Using the Internet is something he enjoys doing, especially on the days he's not feeling well. Shame on Comcast for limiting usage for people like him! I thought our government had put a stop to bussiness monopolies, but Comcast has found a legal way to be a monopoly in my area, & as my son pointed out, I probably used half our data just reading this thread & posting!
Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 334 of 1,722 (7,178 Views)

Post removed due to a deliberate forum language filter circumvention violation. Please do not try to bypass the filter. thank you. Forum Guidelines (which everyone should read before making his/her first post) state Please Don't 2. Use Profanity Please keep your posts clean. Our forums have an automated profanity filter to block out inappropriate language. Please do not circumvent it by finding colorful ways to approximate or disguise those words. If you are caught trying to bypass the filters in any way, your posting privileges may be revoked.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 335 of 1,722 (7,162 Views)

When I signed up for Comcast, I did ask specifically if there was a data cap and how high it was. The people at the Comcast center said they thought there was but didn't know how high it was but that even businesses didn't reach it regularlly....Really? You know they were lying through their teeth.

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 336 of 1,722 (7,159 Views)

Yep lies for sure because business accounts dont have any data caps. I am sure comcast informs there phone reps to never talk about data caps in any way if possible.  : - /

Posted by
Visitor
Message 337 of 1,722 (7,107 Views)

Given everything I've read about Comcast for years, it really makes you wonder how they grew their business to the level they have so much power. I guess because they chose places like where I live, (where their your only option!) to move in first & then they got big enough to run off all the local providers! As to wether we were lied to about the data cap when we signed up, it's hard to know. With the training to lie to us to get us as a customer, ( then who cares how they treat us after that), the lack of training at all for most employees, (when I called about the data cap, the employee I talked to said he had never heard of their being a test market, neither had his manager!), & bad customer service in general, I guess we could say it was probably all of the above! I hope everyone who reads this will do as others suggest & complain to the FCC, your elected officials, & anyone who has the power to do something to put pressure on Comcast to play fair, & tell everyone you know to do the same. That's the only way we are going to make a difference. If we don't, it would be like complaining about your elected officials, but not voting to get rid of them when the election comes around. We have to stand up to this bully as a majority to make them back down, so let's all work together to create change in this industry. This monopoly is the very thing others fought to change in this country long ago. Unfortunately, Companies have found legal loopholes to the laws they created, so we have to find a way to get our government to close those loopholes so that one Company ( like Comcast!) can't just take our money without caring about being fair & treating us as customers with respect. I personally would also like to see us be rewarded for customer loyalty again, the way companies used to when they cared about keeping you as a customer. I don't mean to sound like I'm on a soap box, I am usually one of those people who just accepts that it's just the way things are now, & just keep quiet. But I'm tired of those of us who are considered middle class getting pushed around. We pay our bills on time, & work hard, & always try to do the right thing. I have decided to let my voice be heard & demand the respect I feel I've earned, I really encourage others to do the same!
Posted by
Visitor
Message 338 of 1,722 (7,067 Views)

300 Gigabyte Monthly "Allowance" Grievances

Fellow Comcast Customers:

My family has been exceeding the 300 Gigabyte allowance since they started implementing it last summer.  

I have several grievances with this trial policy that Comcast has forced upon us and I submit to the candid world (of Comcast users) the following grievances from someone who is considered a highly profitable customer of Comcast:

1. 300 G is not nearly a fair data usage "allowance” in today’s data driven world,
  2. $10 for each additional 50 G increment is well beyond price gouging,
  3. No higher usage data bracket is being 'trialed' so we can stop incurring multiple 50 G increment costs monthly, and
  4. No Rollover for unused data in a month is included in the monthly billing cycle.

My first grievance is that Comcast has imposed this 300 G allowance as a "learned acceptance" for the majority of users who are confined to a monopoly market area ( such as Memphis, Nashville, Jackson and many others) meaning they are intentionally forcing this policy on users that do not have other options for similar service (i.e. Bright House, Verizon etc.).  When I write of "learned acceptance" I am speaking to all the current users who are NOT exceeding the 300 G limit at this time.  But very soon (I guess in less than a few years’ time) the 300 G will be woefully inadequate for the majority of data users as higher quality video and music continues to become the industry standard.  In summary, you may not be exceeding the 300 G policy now, but in time you will because of the technology will exceed it for you and Comcast is setting a false premise that 300 G is an adequate amount of data for you now and in the future.

My second grievance is that Comcast has no problem charging $10 for each additional 50 G to a customer once they exceed the 300 G allowance in these trial markets.  My grievance with charging the additional $10 is simply their actual cost for the data throughput vs the price they charge the customer for it.  This is designed as a future profit center for Comcast.  If there is proof that the data costs one hundredth of the price charged, I would welcome a debate on that premise.  However, we are told in many industry related articles that explain data networks that the cost of throughput for extremely large amounts of data is measured in tenths of pennies.  Price Gouging is considered a criminal offense and I would like to see the exact criteria for something to be considered price gouging in a monopoly market like these "Trial" markets.

The third grievance is that Comcast does not give options to buy higher limit data plans (such as 500, 1000 or 2000 G) so customers can at least have an opportunity to self-regulate their data usage.  However, Comcast does have a single optional plan-- a $5 credit option you can sign up for if you only use less than 5 G in a month.  Who in the world uses less than 5 G in a month?  That is someone who doesn't use the internet in their daily lives; instead it’s someone who checks email from time to time.  Without an opportunity to buy higher rate plans, Comcast is forcing customer to pay grossly overpriced penalties in the form of "additional 50 G chunks". 

Lastly, what about the data that is no used in a monthly billing cycle?  If Comcast's position is that if data has be quantified, managed and defined in a monthly billing cycle, then data NOT used should also be treated accordingly and equally.  By forcing us in the "Trial" markets to have a quantified data amount, then we have the right to demand our paid for and unused data to be carried and used into the future.  These data billing cycles are arbitrary and only benefit Comcast.  I mean to say that if I use 299 G of data in the first 29 days of Comcast's billing cycle and then use 2 G during the last day of the billing cycle why can Comcast charge $10 for the 1 G over and then reset my usage to 300 G for their next billing cycle.  On top of that, the remaining 49 G that I am forced to purchase on the last day of their billing cycle to purchase is not even carried over to their new billing cycle.

These 4 items are going to explode in the next few years for the customers of Comcast.  I have spent over $100 in the last six months and we are not abusing data at my house.  My kids watch U-Tube, down load apps on their 3 mobile devices and listen to music.  Comcast is abusing these trial market areas and if we say nothing, then we accept whatever they wish to impose on us.  We have the responsibility to stand up and express our opinions on what Comcast is forcing on us or they will continue to do so and expand it to all of their markets.

I await an answer to these grievances.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 339 of 1,722 (7,001 Views)

Re: 300 Gigabyte Monthly "Allowance" Grievances

IkeInMemphis wrote:

Fellow Comcast Customers:

My family has been exceeding the 300 Gigabyte allowance since they started implementing it last summer.  

I have several grievances with this trial policy that Comcast has forced upon us and I submit to the candid world (of Comcast users) the following grievances from someone who is considered a highly profitable customer of Comcast:

I await an answer to these grievances.

Congrats for using the service so much.  

Here is an answer to your grievances.

These policies aren't being forced upon you.  

You can always cancel your account if you don't find that the price of what you are paying is not worth what you are getting.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 340 of 1,722 (6,935 Views)

When calling comcast, record the whole conversation. They will lie as sure as water is wet. Then forward the call to arstechnica.com or theverge.com and let them post it on their websites. Also, write to the FCC and your States Attorney General.

Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and Komkast doesn't want anymore bad publicity. Hopefully, the new Net Neutrality rules will ban data caps. These people that run Comcast have no soul... 

I await Google Fiber...

Posted by
Regular Contributor
Message 341 of 1,722 (6,921 Views)

"When calling comcast, record the whole conversation. They will lie as sure as water is wet."

I can vouch for that. After numerous calls and blatant lies with phone reps I did just that.

Afterwords called a manager and I asked if she would like to hear my recording or will she look up the recording that comcast did of our conversation , to find out whether they flat out lied or not.

She opted to use comcast recorded message then called me back with apologies and offered me the rates the lying rep offered, but still did not fix my random slowness .05 mb speed issues that took another 3 months to fix .

Posted by
Contributor

Message 342 of 1,722 (6,917 Views)

Since I have no ofher broadband service available in my area yes these 300gb caps are being forced upon me. And specifically because I don't have a choice in the matter if I want broadband internet which is pretty much a requirement in modern society with a family.

Comcast is taking advantage of their local monoply by price gauging customers who are not able to choose another broad band service.

Posted by
Edited on
‎03-13-2015 07:04 PM

Regular Contributor

Message 343 of 1,722 (6,830 Views)

Internet Data Usage charges - This explains it...

[ Edited ]
http://consumerist.com/2013/11/08/dear-atlanta-comcast-now-hates-you-too/

Internet Data Usage Billing - this explains it....
Posted by
Contributor

Message 344 of 1,722 (6,745 Views)

Here is a shocker for those interested 4 months with comcast 4 months of overages and they cant figure it out.... surprise surprise and i love how they call you to warn you youve reached your limit... its nice to have one machine and knowing its there faulty equipment or the way they decide to add the data usage... I have yet and i say again yet to have them point out how they justify the data usage or even explain there formula

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 345 of 1,722 (6,733 Views)

I work from home, In January my employer paid to install a line for me. COMCAST did not install a new line they put the work box onto my home box using a splitter and now I go over my data usage by the middle of the month. Since I have  used up my complimentary EXTRA data usage you so graciously give, EVEN though this is YOUR error, I will not be working after Tuesday. Lost wages, lost job, no more internet,. no more payments to comcast. Oh well, you won't get another penny and that is just fine with me. I have done all I can. Ticket number after ticket number and still, you want to charge me for your error. It is not going to happen. No need to reply here I won't have the capabilty with Comcast to view it

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 346 of 1,722 (6,613 Views)

I have gone over 2 of my 3 "grace" months.  My usage has normally been 15-200 but this year it started going up.  I asked Comcast when their now 16 month "trial" of data caps would end.  They don't know.  If I was in Tucson rather than Memphis, I would get 450 GB, not 300 GB.  If they are determined to do caps, the cap should be based on the speed you are paying for not 300 GB for everyone.

I keep praying for the day that Comcast begins to value their customers.  Don't think I will live to see it!  They have a monopoly on HSI here.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 347 of 1,722 (6,589 Views)

so done with this cap

This Problem is two fold, First the cap has to go! you can't have my ten and twenty dollars, Second you STILL THROTTLE, which is to say you don't deliver what i pay for during peak hours cause.."nothing" I pay for it. Also i have 50mbs internet and my upload speeds should be at least 10mbps but when i need only 4mbps upload speed to do a job interview on @ comcast web meetings cam chat I have to call for yall to boost my signal ?!?!

Most importantly why when I call in would you phone line automated system need to have a seperate option "If you recently changed you service and your bill was higher than expected press 3" No ones bill should be higher than expected EVER unless you are failing to ACURATELY INFORM your customers of how far your hand will be in their back pocket; AND the number of customers should never be so high that you need an Information technologist to put the option on your automated system.

I hope you have a true understanding of the general concensus of your companies practices.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 348 of 1,722 (6,574 Views)

Re: busniess class account

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-24528383v

We literally overpay for home Internet. Comcast says they are competitive compared to other companies but other companies over charge for internet too. Look up what internet cost and speeds are in other countries, (obviously convert to US dollars) you will never believe how affordable internet is...But not in the Greatest Country on earth??? You get ripped off here! Look it up, check this out

"We deregulated high-speed internet access 10 years ago and since then we've seen enormous consolidation and monopolies, so left to their own devices, companies that supply internet access will charge high prices, because they face neither competition nor oversight."

Posted by
Visitor

Message 349 of 1,722 (7,466 Views)

INTERNET PRICES AROUND THE WORLD AND SPEEDS

YOU ARE PAYING MORE FOR INTERNET THAN YOU'D BELIEVE

Do away with the DATA CAP!

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-24528383

When you pay all the Extra money for less why would you not be upfront about pricing?

Why Data Cap at 300Gigs?