Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 250 of 1,950
Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 251 of 1,950

hhristov12 wrote:
With 300 Gb limit I don't need 50 Mbps speed so I downgraded my internet to 3 Mbps or Comcast is loosing 36$ a month just from my family! But we all need to do that to show them that they cannot do whatever they want! Please people downgrade your internet and TV to show Comcast that we are more and we are bigger then them. WE ARE THE CUSTOMERS!!!!

Downgrading to the 3mbps plan is not a opition for most of us because that speed is simply to slow for streaming HD content plus having multiple users online at the same time. I would think Performance would be about as low as i would dare to go with what i use the net for. 

Posted by
Contributor

Message 252 of 1,950

yea it is the lack of options that are ridiculous. Why pay more for a higher speed plan when you have the same data cap as a 3mbps plan user? I have the 105mb plan cause I need the spped but that plan is rendered almost useless because of of the antiquated 300gb cap.

Create speed and cap tiers and let us choose between them. The one size fits all cap is really stupid and is the heart of the problem.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 253 of 1,950

They don't reply because they don't care!

tomkym wrote:
I agree. With all these posts it would be great if someone from comcast would reply with their thoughts.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 254 of 1,950

UHFandHD wrote:

https://fiber.google.com/support/

Yeah, the latest greatest thing. Uh, just like Uverse, right? Face it, it's hard to beat the cable system, even though it's oversaturated. I was with att dsl for almost 15 years, and they never did upgrade here. Uverse is still 3 megs in this area.

Wait for google, and maybe, maybe, in 10 years or so, it might be available in your area, and it might actually be able to deliver what was promised. Yeah, right.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 255 of 1,950

fiber can easily deliver 1gbit especially considering most people woulddnt ever come close to macing out a 1gbit connection see if comcast had upgraded when it shouldve wed have fiber now and everyone would love comcast

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 256 of 1,950

THIS WAS NOT DISCLOSED WHEN WE SIGNED UP two months ago, nor is it in any of the fine print in the book that came with the self install kit.  I have called twice about data usage and both times I hung up because the "customer service reps" hardly spoke English and we're obviously reading a script.  No kids live here, we don't stream on phones and rarely on tablets.

Today I got a call at 11AM that we were at 90%, at 3:05PM I got a call saying we were at 100% & that this was our 2nd courtesy month. WE ARE ONLY 15 DAYS INTO THIS MONTH.The only device using internet was Roku 3 streaming  Netflix in HD (not ultra HD).  I have serious doubts about the accuracy of metering!

We will be going back to U-verse (spit) when we reach the 90% usage in our 4th month.  We love Comcast internet service and the CSR's in the past have always been GREAT.  We never had usage charges from AT&T and I do stream a lot of video.  I guess I get penalized because my health rarely allows me to leave home (no sympathy just a fact) and I watch Netflix up to 12 hours a day.

I do not want to leave Comcast service but it looks like we will incur $50 to $70 extra charges because of the amount we use.  I know that this is currently only in 12 cities of the country as a Comcast "test" but they seem to be punishing subscribers in the south more

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 257 of 1,950

Nashville_Wormw wrote:

The only device using internet was Roku 3 streaming  Netflix in HD (not ultra HD).  I have serious doubts about the accuracy of metering!.....and I watch Netflix up to 12 hours a day.

Netflix uses around 2-3 GB per hour for HD content. So if you watch an average of 10 hours a day @ 2 GB hour, you would use 20 GB in a single day. This means you would reach your usage limit in about 15 days. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 258 of 1,950

i-am-nerdburg wrote:

Nashville_Wormw wrote:

The only device using internet was Roku 3 streaming  Netflix in HD (not ultra HD).  I have serious doubts about the accuracy of metering!.....and I watch Netflix up to 12 hours a day.

Netflix uses around 2-3 GB per hour for HD content. So if you watch an average of 10 hours a day @ 2 GB hour, you would use 20 GB in a single day. This means you would reach your usage limit in about 15 days. 

Yes I know. My whole point is a small fracton are being monitored in the US and a small number of those being monitored are exceeding the data limits. So I guess from your response is that you support what Comcast is doing, or at least have no problem with it.  

I was pointing out that as a new customer we were NEVER informed of this and we will be leaving for the inferior service provided by U-Verse after we incur our third "courtesy" month.  At least they provide a less expensive service each month and never charge for too much data usage. 

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 259 of 1,950

AT@T uverse also has a data cap lower then comcast only 250 GB a month. 

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 260 of 1,950

Jim721 wrote:

But it's not being enforced everywhere yet like Comcast is.  Comcast has different "tier rules" in different regions but all regions have the cap enforced with a $10 minimum fee it says for "purchasing" 50 GB but it's really 1-50 GB.

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 261 of 1,950

dmartin1910 wrote:

Jim721 wrote:

But it's not being enforced everywhere yet like Comcast is.  Comcast has different "tier rules" in different regions but all regions have the cap enforced with a $10 minimum fee it says for "purchasing" 50 GB but it's really 1-50 GB.

No data cap here in Michigan it has been suspended for about 2 years now. I am sure it will be reinstated again at any time. 

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 262 of 1,950

My family uses a couple tablets, 6 smartphones, 2 desktop computers, 3 laptop computers, a PS4, a PS3, and an Xbox. We have 3 HD TV's, one regular TV and Netflix. We have Comcast triple Play (TV, phone & Blast! internet) and are one of their most-valued customers - or so the recording assures me. We should be, we pay through the nose each month.

Every day I am besieged by Comcast commercials about Xfinity internet and all the viewing choices. Watch this! Watch that! Download this! Download that! Supposedly, Comcast is going to increase the internet speed in my area and more than double the speed at which I can consume data.

I visit the Comcast.net homepage daily and there in the right-hand sidebar it exclaims: "Watch Live TV Online" and "See All Networks Available Live Online". So many choices and new ones being added almost daily. Not to mention all the shows available online and OnDemand.

All this and a data cap that I will be penalized for exceeding if I attempt to make use of all the goodies laid out before me.

It's the old carrot and stick trick. I am offered and I pay for features I dare not use.

I understand the need for a data cap, but anything under 1 Tb is ludicrous in this day and age.

<--> U.S. Navy Vietnam Era veteran. You're welcome. <-->
Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 263 of 1,950

Yep they want you to stream and watch as much as you like so they can make back some of the revenue they have lost by cord cutters like myself and many others. Lets face it in 10 years or less cable tv will be a thing of the past and comcast knows it so they have to dream up other ways to make money. A fee for this a fee for that heck they even charge a fee to upgrade your service go figure.  

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 264 of 1,950
Good to know, Jim721. I guess Atlanta is too major a market to expect a similar suspension. Still, my friends in ATL don't have an enforced cap on UVerse.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 265 of 1,950
...that said, I can't tolerate slower than 50 Mbps speed. UVerse isn't offering their new high speed plan here yet. Besides, I left them 2 years ago because after the intro year rates, the monthly bill almost doubles! Robbery!
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 266 of 1,950
Like Jim721 I cut the cord (last yr). I have a VPN that allows me yo stream from different countries where it's free. I download low cost or free programs to my phone and transfer to my laptop via cable (offline) and watch via HDMI on TV offline. I have a news app on my Roku streaming stick (1-2 days old). But if you're a sports fan you're stuck. I'm not.
Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 267 of 1,950

dmartin1910 wrote:
...that said, I can't tolerate slower than 50 Mbps speed. UVerse isn't offering their new high speed plan here yet. Besides, I left them 2 years ago because after the intro year rates, the monthly bill almost doubles! Robbery!

I never tried Uverse myself but my neighbor did for about 2 months and canceled because the best he could get was 5 mbps speeds and he was unable to keep the family happy with those speeds so he switched to comcast. As stated there is no data cap here in Michigan it is suspended but it will be back. Most customers have no idea about data caps but they will when they start seeing the overages on there bills. Also wanted to point out if (when) the TWC merger is approved comcast is pulling out of Michigan all together and we will be left with a spin off called Greatland Cable LLC god only knows how this will play out. I wonder if they will have data caps. 

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 268 of 1,950

Sorry, the little skinny lines on the mobile makes it impossible to see your typos.  The view needs to be the same view as when your reading the posts!.

dmartin1910 wrote:
Like Jim721 I cut the cord (last yr). I have a VPN that allows me yo stream from different countries where it's free. I download low cost or free programs to my phone and transfer to my laptop via cable (offline) and watch via HDMI on TV offline. I have a news app on my Roku streaming stick (1-2 days old). But if you're a sports fan you're stuck. I'm not.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 269 of 1,950

Considering that this new "Greatland Cable" will start out 7.8 billion in debt, roughly five times its earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amoritization and be around 33% owned by Charter Cable, who's debt is also around is also around 5 to 5.1 times Ebitda, it wouldn't suprise me if they lowered the caps and raised their rates...lol.  In talking to some friends who work for Comcast now, they don't forsee any radical changes, at least early on.

Just got my notice email, that as of today, 1/18 I have used 90 percent of my 300GB.  With two Xbox Ones downloading HUGE games and streaming video now, I am going to have to upset a few people in the household when I set up the router with data caps.  If our usage over the next few months continues to top 300GB, I may be forced to go back to the 15Mbps DSL we had before.  Considerably slower, but no caps.  I can only imagine how long a 30+Gb Xbox One game will take to download over that connection...lol.

Will be interesting to note though, as Michigan like you said, does not have the caps in place right now, and Kentucky where I am, will also be a Greatland area, DOES have the caps in place.  I wonder if they will leave it like it is, turn them all off or turn them all on?  My money is on turning them ON everywhere, but I hope I am wrong.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 270 of 1,950

So, for the past 24 hours we made sure WiFi was turned off on the router and no windows were open on either computer that might have sucked up internet usage. No streaming was done, no messengers used. There were 2 instances of about 20 minutes each on facebook and one MOBA played for 1 1/2 hours and we went 15 GB over the cap. There was 19 GB left when we shut everything down before midnight the previous day and no streaming was done the previous day either. 

So how in the holy heck does that happen with 2 people in the house? Something isn't right with this. 

EDIT: Oh, and we watched 1 1/2 hours of items that were saved on our X1 DVR. So apparently we can no longer watch things we've saved to the DVR. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 271 of 1,950

Had U-Verse before Comcast and was a customer for almost two years.  I ran Netflix more during that period because I had a live in nurse who used it as mu ch as I did.

Also,I have done my homework and at this time there are no data caps in this area for U-Verse, I live 28 miles from Nashville and Comcast still calls me a Nashville customer.   I have friends who have Charter and are not aware of caps.  I don't know because that is not an opton unless I move.   

I am currently at 595 Mbs this month according to their meter.  I know I watched more last month but I blew past December's numbers two days ago.

I would love to pay for a package that had more data or no more than $4 for every 50Mbs over 300, BUT that is not an option at this time with Comcast.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 272 of 1,950

I'm 30 miles from downtown Nashville in another county to the west and am still considered a Nashville customer as well. It's quite ridiculous really and has put my entire household at unease because we can't use what we're paying for without being so heavily penalized by our ISP. 

And after 45 minutes on the phone with them yesterday morning and being passed to 6 people (yes literally 6 people) who had no clue what I was talking about with the internet usage cap, it seems they should better train their employees as well. I even spoke with the "Customer Assurance" people and they passed me right back to the regular Comcast line because he too did not have any idea what I was talking about. It is such a waste of time to try to get anything done on the phone with these people. 

They need to revamp their infrastructure to accomodate the increase in users because people aren't going to do away with internet and WiFi, it's our day and age and will only get worse in the future. All this is going to do is push people away. What I want to know is what are they going to do when the President implements the internet service for everyone in the country. Talk about a weak infrastructure now, it's going to get worse. 

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 273 of 1,950

MzC3 wrote:

They need to revamp their infrastructure to accomodate the increase in user....

It isn't an infrastructure issue, there is no limit to how much data you can use. It's about $$$$, not network capacity.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 274 of 1,950

i-am-nerdburg wrote:

MzC3 wrote:

It isn't an infrastructure issue, there is no limit to how much data you can use. It's about $$$$, not network capacity.

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding  We HAVE a winner!!  After they get Net Neutrality canned, they can then charge the provider on one side, and the user on the other!  If your in an area like mine and you have 1 and only 1 real choice, they can drop the cap to whatever they want and charge what they want.  You going to do without?  No?  Then pay us or go back to dial up. 

I had considered going back to my previous DSL service, but that service is no longer acceptable since for some reason now the fastest speed they offer in my area is 3k/256.  That is 10 percent of what I have now.  I hit the 330GB mark and turned off all access except one wired connection to this computer yesterday, and plan to make a trip to the phone company just to verify what is available tomorrow.  When my internet bill exceeds the cost of my electric bill, its time to make a change.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 275 of 1,950

I agree with i-am-nerdburg:

When entertainment/cable bills are higher than heat&air, there's something seriously wrong with this picture!

I, too, only have Comcast as an option for internet speeds over 24mbps.  The only protest I could do was to cancel TV/"cut the cord" and not use their phone service.

I use TMobile unlimited data plan to download/stream as much as possible from phone to laptop or phone to tv...with the tv being offline; totally via cellular connection connected via hdmi/adaptor cables.  That has cut a lot of usage down.

My usage is the opposite of what it has been for the past 10-15 years.  In the past, home was the "safe zone" and the cell phone was capped data (most plans still are).  I guarded my cellular data by connecting to wifi as soon as I got home (plus hot spots).

Now I do the opposite.  I use the unlimited data cellular device/connection as much as possible.  When my son's at home I have him connect to my hot spot instead of wifi to "guard" wifi usage!  It's totally bat **** crazy!  

Posted by
Contributor

Message 276 of 1,950

You'd think with them having to create this thread in the first place with 266 messages on it, they'd get a clue....rolls her eyes.

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 277 of 1,950

CatKnipND wrote:

You'd think with them having to create this thread in the first place with 266 messages on it, they'd get a clue....rolls her eyes.

FWIW, the author is not a CC employee.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Customer Expert

Message 278 of 1,950

This is mostly a customer-to-customer help forum. So you can complain here, but most of the time Comcast employees won't read what you say. 

I'm in a market where the usage cap is not enforced. Normally my husband and I run about 50 GB a month. We don't watch streaming movies. But our son was home from college (where he has unlimited and extremely fast internet) for a third of December and half of January. In December, we used 141 GB. In January, we have used 128 GB so far. 

250 GB really isn't a realistic limit in these days of streaming content.

Comcast does seem to be exploring some higher caps. See this December 5, 2014 article about the various trials: 

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/data-usage-what-are-the-different-plans-launch...

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 279 of 1,950

BethKatz wrote:

This is mostly a customer-to-customer help forum. So you can complain here, but most of the time Comcast employees won't read what you say. 

I'm in a market where the usage cap is not enforced. Normally my husband and I run about 50 GB a month. We don't watch streaming movies. But our son was home from college (where he has unlimited and extremely fast internet) for a third of December and half of January. In December, we used 141 GB. In January, we have used 128 GB so far. 

250 GB really isn't a realistic limit in these days of streaming content.

Comcast does seem to be exploring some higher caps. See this December 5, 2014 article about the various trials: 

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/data-usage-what-are-the-different-plans-launch...

That isn't new information.  Although the article was "republished" last month you'll notice the FIRST paragraph mentions Nashville and that "update" was effective November 2012!  The most recent "update" is 2013!

There are some regional differences.  You'll notice the biggest markets, Like Atlanta, though have the stricter 300 GB no matter what plan you're on with $10 charge from 301 GB to 350.  They market it like get 50 GB  for $10 but you aren't BUYING 10 GB.  There IS NO rollover of the remainder unused.

Some areas aren't enforced, but not many. And some have a "friendlier" tier structure.  The only change I wasn't aware of mentioned last week in the thread is Michigan where the cap was apparently removed a while back....about the time the cap started being ENFORCED in Atlanta market.

And the "flexible data" option is a total rip-off!  

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 280 of 1,950

The cap has not been removed rather suspended and its been that way here in Michigan for about 2 years. As Arnold use to say, I'll BE BACK !!!

Posted by
Contributor

Message 281 of 1,950

I am aware of that but isn't it interesting that a while back, when I started a thread asking about this, a comcast moderator directed me to post in this thread. I guess this way , the complaints are all in one thread where they can be ignored.

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 282 of 1,950

CatKnipND wrote:

I am aware of that but isn't it interesting that a while back, when I started a thread asking about this, a comcast moderator directed me to post in this thread. I guess this way , the complaints are all in one thread where they can be ignored.

I understand what your saying. BUT what the moderator was doing here is taking a issue that gets posted almost daily and condensing it down to one super thread. After all this thread is just a vent thread comcast will not change anything over a forum rant. We all know this right..  Bottom line Nerdberg did the right thing. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 283 of 1,950

i-am-nerdburg wrote:

MzC3 wrote:

Well, these lines haven't been touched by my house since before it was built and our box out at the post on the street gets water every time it rains and the X1 DVR stops responding and our internet goes from 105Mbps to less than 20. That's an issue on their end, not mine. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 284 of 1,950

And all I can say right now is...thank gosh Google Fiber is coming to my area. These guys are about to gain a whole lot of business...and Comcast (not normally what I call them) is about to lose out.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 285 of 1,950
Posted by
Contributor

Message 286 of 1,950

The second Google Fiber is available at my house I'm going to cancel All my comcast services. And it is all because of this stupid cap and Comcast's inabiulity to give users options when it comes to it. Who thought it was a good idea to have a 300GB cap on the 5MBPS connection plan AND a 105 MBPS connection plan?

Google Fiber will be in Atl where I'm in and it is only a matter of time before it hits my house.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 287 of 1,950

swanlee wrote:

The second Google Fiber is available at my house I'm going to cancel All my comcast services. And it is all because of this stupid cap and Comcast's inabiulity to give users options when it comes to it. Who thought it was a good idea to have a 300GB cap on the 5MBPS connection plan AND a 105 MBPS connection plan?

Google Fiber will be in Atl where I'm in and it is only a matter of time before it hits my house.

yeah its pretty bad that comcast wont acknowledge that it doesnt have the power to lock us into data caps especially with google fiber spreading http://www.vox.com/2015/1/28/7931959/google-fiber-cable-terrified and all the cities and small local businesses looking to make their own local gigabit networks

Posted by
Visitor

Message 288 of 1,950

Apparently the data cap has come to Memphis.  We don't stream movies, but my son does play online video games and watch videos on youtube.  We've reached our data limit and have a new charge for a wireless bridge.  I've tried to get a person on the phone for 3 days now, and every time I call it  hangs up on me before I am transferred.  I'm about to take everything out and drop it on the steps of the comcast office. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 289 of 1,950

January totals are in and the two of us used 803GB.  Really?  I seriously doubt the accuracy of Comcast meter especially at 11AM on February 1st we had used 21 GB of data.  Nothing was connected past midnight because I unplugged modem till the next morning.  There is no one else connected to my modem unless they are very clever and live in the woods!  

The 21GB of data was basically two hours using a tablet to browse and check email, NO VIDEO & NO streaming.

If this was not a courtesy month we would have been charged $110 for extra data, ABSURD in my opinion.

Google Fiber is not an option anywhere in the foreseeable future because of where  I live.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 290 of 1,950

Nashville_Wormw wrote:

January totals are in and the two of us used 803GB.  Really?  I seriously doubt the accuracy of Comcast meter especially at 11AM on February 1st we had used 21 GB of data.  Nothing was connected past midnight because I unplugged modem till the next morning.  There is no one else connected to my modem unless they are very clever and live in the woods!  

The 21GB of data was basically two hours using a tablet to browse and check email, NO VIDEO & NO streaming.

If this was not a courtesy month we would have been charged $110 for extra data, ABSURD in my opinion.

Google Fiber is not an option anywhere in the foreseeable future because of where  I live.

That sounds like an issue with the data meter. Perhaps you could open an issue with technical support to find out exactly what is causing your data usage rates to be that high? That's pretty unrealistic for anyone. I use my inet constantly and am not even beginning to approach that amount of usage. 

Are you using a comcast gateway with a wireless and lan connections? The only thing I could see happening with even moderate usage is that your modem might be looping your local traffic through their switch and then back to you. 

Unless of course you are streaming a fair amount of data from something like netflix or amazon. Ultra HD can use up to 7 gigs per hour. If that's the case, then you might be better off subscribing to cable with streampix and the dvr. That doesn't impact your data rate, and the charge for that package would be less.

I use a Tivo Roamio OTA box for tv. Yeah, it's 15 a month for it, but the features make it well worth it, in my book. It can record 4 streams at once, can be networked in the house for an additional charge, and they have a box that can also use the cable network, with a cable card. I watch so little TV that it's nice to be able to watch what I want to when I want to. I have probably 20 movies or more on it recorded from the OTA antenna. It just does it all automatically. It also streams netflix and prime. But, I might watch the tv once a week. 

The reason I am bringing this up is because the heaviest data usage probably comes from streaming video. Any alternative to using the inet to do that is going to be cheaper in the long run. Having a dvr solution is pretty cost effective; if you are watching shows on the weekend using the net instead of either cable or a dvr, it's going to run you more. Recording those programs during the week doesn't impact any data in the least, so it's most cost effective. 

If you're not sure what's cauing your usage to be so high, talk to comcast. No matter what, there's a better solution than paying 100 extra dollars a month for data. 

Posted by
Contributor

Message 291 of 1,950

Well now that the FCC has reclassified what Broadband is Comcast offically has a monopoly in my area at providng Braodband internet.

ATT can only deliver 12MBPS DSL in my area. I hope this new classification allows the Feds to do something about these regional monopolies.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 292 of 1,950

Well apparently as of the last 48 hours we've somehow used 40 GB of internet...and haven't streamed anything and used the computers for maybe 2 hours total checking emails and doing a bit of shopping. And some how last month we used over 481 GB and we stopped all streaming on the 19th of last month. So somehow when we were sitting at 300 GB on the 21st of January we suddenly still used 181 GB in 10 days...RIDICULOUS (and apparently what's more ridiculous is I attempted to use the word a.s.inine and it told me it was a "bad" word---use a freaking dictionary comcast!)!!! There is NO possible way we used that much with 2 people in the house working/sleeping for 19 hours out of the day and not being on the computer but a couple hours total a day the other 5 hours. 

This is ridiculous. Going to try unhooking the modem tonight and see what happens because I've been on the internet maybe 30 minutes this evening and everyone has been at work all day today. I'm about to say to heck with this cap and cancel every last bit of services I have with these people. I'm so ticked about this. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 293 of 1,950

Comcast Office of the President: 215-286-8960.

They'll be able to help you more than any of the low level goons. I'd recommend you copy this number before they delete this post - however it is available all over the internet so it's not exactly secret. Just Google Comcast Office of the President and you'll find it too.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 294 of 1,950

I have 8 people in my house and i have been paying over usage fines of 60 dollars a month. Actually thinking of cancelling cable and just keeping the internet. 300 Gb does not cut it. I use bitmeter on all my PCs in the house to attempt to see the usage my family is using. It helps somewhat.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 295 of 1,950

Well, as of this morning with both of us having been at work for all but 4 hours yesterday with 2 hours max of internet usage we used 18 GB? Their counter is wrong. There is no possible way with us having no WiFi in this house and no one being here to use it, that we used anywhere near that much. Even being generous with numbers on their "Data Calculator", we didn't even hit 100 GB. I want to know where their numbers are coming from. 

Posted by
Contributor

Message 296 of 1,950

The annoying part is none of this matters to them

You can argue about their counter being wrong, how they are a monopoly in your region, how it's silly for a 105MB speed tier user to have the same cap as a 6MB speed tier user and they just stonewall you.

In all my communications with them about these issues they simply say sorry their is nothing that can be done have a nice day.

Thier is no budge in this policy for them, no options, no neogtiation about it.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 297 of 1,950

swanlee wrote:

Atlant expansion area as of 1/31/15:  Atlanta, Avondale Estates, Brookhaven, College Park, Decatur, East Point, Hapeville, Sandy Springs, Smyrna -    

BOO!  I'M IN MARIETTA!  :-(

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 298 of 1,950

I'm not going to insert quote, but in reference to STRETCHMAN'S recent comment.  If you REALLY have to have cable for sports, etc., your way does sound like the LEAST additional charge.

I opted to vote with my feet and have ONLY internet service.  I "cut the cord" and since I don't watch sports I haven't missed it.  In my market I pay about $80 after taxes and pass-through charges for the "Blast" plan.  OK speed....the lowest I can tolerate and the only provider in my market offering over 24mbps .  Then I pay an additional $16/month for Netflix and Amazon video(annual fee but monthly prorated cost).  I pay $35 a year for a good VPN so I can stream from Canada, UK, Australia, etc.  I download shows on my TMobile unlimited data device and connect via cable to my laptop which I view via HDMI on TV without ANY wifi needed.  

I DO have a ROKU and Apple TV I Stream Netflix and Amazon and that gets me up to the 300 GB (over 250) every month.  I refuse to go over though, and I will just download to my phone and watch that way until the 1st of the month.  I refuse to let Comcast get away with their business practices anymore than I have to! 

When Google Fiber does the phase 2 expansion in Atlanta, hasta la vista baby!!!

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 299 of 1,950

MzC3 wrote:

Well apparently as of the last 48 hours we've somehow used 40 GB of internet...and haven't streamed anything and used the computers for maybe 2 hours total checking emails and doing a bit of shopping. And some how last month we used over 481 GB and we stopped all streaming on the 19th of last month. So somehow when we were sitting at 300 GB on the 21st of January we suddenly still used 181 GB in 10 days...RIDICULOUS (and apparently what's more ridiculous is I attempted to use the word a.s.inine and it told me it was a "bad" word---use a freaking dictionary comcast!)!!! There is NO possible way we used that much with 2 people in the house working/sleeping for 19 hours out of the day and not being on the computer but a couple hours total a day the other 5 hours. 

This is ridiculous. Going to try unhooking the modem tonight and see what happens because I've been on the internet maybe 30 minutes this evening and everyone has been at work all day today. I'm about to say to heck with this cap and cancel every last bit of services I have with these people. I'm so ticked about this. 

I'm not a technician so I can't speak to technical problems which could be present but I HAVE heard of people who signed up for "Hot Spot" thinking it was a private hot spot within the house for other devices and their iP was actually open to neighbors, etc. in the area!  I hear it doesn't affect you GB usage, but I worry that the meter could monitor usage incorrectly or something.  At the very least it will slow down your connection.  I have heard about problems with "lost packets" where the data stream loops around again and again and every cross of the modem is data measured.  But from the usage you described there certainly has to be an issue somewhere!