Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

New Poster

No point in Gigabit Service?

Hello. I spoke with an agent on the phone today who said that the Terabyte monthly cap applied to all plans, even gigabit tier ones. However:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/exp-unlimited-data states that:

Enrollment in the Unlimited Data Plan is optional, and is available to all customers in locations with the Terabyte Internet Data Usage Plan. Data usage plans do not apply to Business Internet customers, customers on non-upgradeable Bulk Internet agreements, and customers with Prepaid Internet, or to Xfinity Internet customers on our Gigabit Pro tier of service.

So who is correct? Does the $300/m Gigabit Pro service have unlimited data or not?

Expert

Re: data usage

Comcast doesn't provide usage by device.  I got an email about it some time ago.

https://dataplan.xfinity.com/estimator/

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-what-counts-towards-my-data-plan

Gold Problem Solver

Re: No point in Gigabit Service?

@barrettarcher wrote: ... Data usage plans do not apply ... on our Gigabit Pro tier of service.

They have 2 gigabit service plans and they are very different. "Gigabit" service (1Gb down/40Mb up) is delivered over their regular coax lines and counts against their data cap. "Gigabit Pro" service (2Gb up and down) requires a fiber optic cable connection to your premises, and has no data cap. It's also much more expensive and much less available.

I'd point you to a page that explains this, but I don't know of one.   Smiley Sad

Silver Problem Solver

@BruceW wrote:

@barrettarcher wrote: ... Data usage plans do not apply ... on our Gigabit Pro tier of service.

"Gigabit" service (1Gb down/40Mb up) is delivered over their regular coax lines and counts against their data cap.

Unless of course you live in the North East region, where the "Cap" has never been enforced yet, wonder why that is? Smiley Sad

Is that still the case? I could be out of touch. Smiley Happy

Problem Solver

@Paraniod wrote:

@BruceW wrote:

"Gigabit" service (1Gb down/40Mb up) is delivered over their regular coax lines and counts against their data cap.

Unless of course you live in the North East region, where the "Cap" has never been enforced yet, wonder why that is? Smiley Sad

Is that still the case? I could be out of touch. Smiley Happy

Yeah. That's still the case. Personally I believe it is becuase of more competition throughout the Northeast such as Spectrum, FiOS, AT&T, where the competition is more heavy (through pretty much all the major ISPs having operations in the NE) I believe where tons of providers have service in that region. Maine used to have it but then shortly got rid of it. I think in the Northeast they were really getting ready for a losing legal battle for it according to a couple people I know in Maine.

Silver Problem Solver

Yeah, thats my point, the North East is huge and has competition, not so much in other areas. It strikes me as unfair that we in other areas either have to pay for being "over" or pay for "unlimited" for the same service.....Not that I've ever gone over the limit myself !

In fact, it feels like the rest of the country is subsidizing the North East,.so that Comcast can remain competitive there. (just my thoughts) Of course it's up to Comcast.

New Poster

Re: You've used 90% of your data this month

what did you figure out?  What was eating all the data?

Thanks

Mike

New Poster

You can check the data usage by a windows 10 computer yourself and find out if any specific computer and program on your network are using a lot of data.  Here is a primer on how to do that: 

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-monitor-network-usage-your-windows-10-devices

I checked several of the computers on my home network and was able to identify several computers that appear to be using a ton of data.  if you can do the same, you MAY be able to make changes on those specific computers and resolve the problem.

Expert

o@smallbluemike wrote:

You can check the data usage by a windows 10 computer yourself and find out if any specific computer and program on your network are using a lot of data.  Here is a primer on how to do that: 

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-monitor-network-usage-your-windows-10-devices

I checked several of the computers on my home network and was able to identify several computers that appear to be using a ton of data.  if you can do the same, you MAY be able to make changes on those specific computers and resolve the problem.

FWIW, just for clarity. With that Windows application, you can not monitor the bandwidth consumption of every individual *device* that is on one's home "network" / router. You can only monitor the consumption of the individual *apps* / systems on that particular computer.

Contributor

EG, you are correct, thanks for clarifying. 

So what do you make of a single windows 10 computer on a home network reporting use of  485 GB of data with the program identified as SMB?  Doesn't that seem pretty significant and relevant when the topic is the Comcast 1 TB data cap?

maryleaZ400.jpg
Expert

If this is the SMB service / protocol that that represents;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Message_Block

I don't know much about it but I believe that that protocol involves *inter LAN* data transfers only and does not traverse to the WAN / open internet. If it doesn't cross the modem, it doesn't get counted.

Contributor

And there is the problem:  you and the folks at Comcast cannot tell me what device and application is using data and which is not.  The lack of transparency and accountability leads to frustration and distrust.  This is especially the case when data usage suddenly increases in a major way and leads to new monthly charges.  Do you understand why that pattern is a problem?  Do you or the folks at Comcast have any solutions to the questions about devices and apps that are actually using data?

Expert

@maryleacoday wrote:

And there is the problem:  you and the folks at Comcast cannot tell me what device and application is using data and which is not.  

Uh, I can understand your frustration but I am a volunteer here. I don't "have" to tell you or anyone else anything, sorry.  I am not behind your LAN with a packet sniffer.. I wish you the best of luck !! Smiley Happy

Problem Solver

@maryleacoday wrote:

And there is the problem:  you and the folks at Comcast cannot tell me what device and application is using data and which is not.  The lack of transparency and accountability leads to frustration and distrust.  This is especially the case when data usage suddenly increases in a major way and leads to new monthly charges.  Do you understand why that pattern is a problem?  Do you or the folks at Comcast have any solutions to the questions about devices and apps that are actually using data?

Having Comcast do the kind of monitoring that you're wanting them to do would entail myself giving them normally secure information about my LAN, that frankly, they have no business knowing, which is why I have my own modem and router and am not leasing a gateway from them.

They already know enough about my internet habits that already make me feel uncomfortable about my privacy, and there's no way I would consent to that kind of monitoring. 

"Sometimes the best way to learn something is by doing it wrong and looking at what you did." - Neil Gaiman
Contributor

I downloaded an app called GlassWire that immediately appears to do a much better job of identifying the devices that are on line at any moment and how much data they are using in up and down load modes. 

It may be unrealistic, but I expect folks who are identified as experts within this forum would have more solutions to the questions about data usage than I have run in to so far.  So, EG, why don't you take a good, long look at GlassWire and see what you think.

https://www.glasswire.com/

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2686040/glasswire-review-this-free-network-security-tool-tells-all-a...

Expert

@maryleacoday wrote:

It may be unrealistic, but I expect folks who are identified as experts within this forum would have more solutions to the questions about data usage than I have run in to so far. 

No comment...........................

So, EG, why don't you take a good, long look at GlassWire and see what you think.

I'm familiar with that app, thanks.

Contributor

That makes sense in terms of privacy.  I was using a SB6930, but went to the comcast 3941t because of the offer that xFi would allow me to see where the data was being used.  That has not worked very well, so I am probably ready to go back to my own modem and give back the 3941t.  I installed Glasswire this morning and I think it works better than xFi for monitoring usage.

What modem would you recommend?  and modem and router in two units?  Is that better? and how?

Thanks

Mike

Contributor

what do you think of Glasswire?  I think it does everything that xFi does and more and maybe gives a bit more privacy per DarkAngelic's concern. 

Expert

@maryleacoday wrote:

and modem and router in two units?  Is that better? and how?

There is always an inherent disadvantage with these. Combo gateway devices are always a compromise in both quality and performance compared to separate units. Also, only the ISP can update the firmware so you are always a prisoner of that fact / them. And the firmware is typically crippled by the ISP's customizing of it and they typically eliminate valuable features.

One of the biggest issues with them is that it is far more difficult to diagnose connectivity issues when it comes to troubleshooting. You can't narrow things down by using the process of elimination by removing just the router from the path. And if either segment fails / malfunctions, you have a total failure.

Get separate units and keep the control of your home network in your hands instead of theirs, you'll be much happier !

Problem Solver

@maryleacoday wrote:

What modem would you recommend?  and modem and router in two units?  Is that better? and how?

Thanks

Mike

EG answered the second part, so I'll offer my recommendation - since you have an Cisco DPC3941T gateway, you probably have, at best, the Blast Pro (250 Mbps) speed tier, or lower, and for that I personally recommend the ARRIS SB6183 - rock solid, dependable, and room for improvement in the near future. 

If you have Comcast's voice service, you'll probably need an eMTA (voice) modem, so I believe the Netgear CM500V would suit your needs best. 

"Sometimes the best way to learn something is by doing it wrong and looking at what you did." - Neil Gaiman
Contributor

I have performance pro, so 150 Mbps.  I don't use comcast phone/voice, so it sounds like the SB6183 sounds like a good and cheap choice.  What is a good wifi router to match up with the SB6183?  I have a netgear N150, but it's pretty old.

Glasswire is indicating data usage of 6.3 GB since 9 am, 6.1 GB of that is local data transfer and should be counted as it does not come from the internet or comcast.  I am wondering if the most recent windows 10 update that removed the home group is responsible for the rather sudden jump in my reported data usage.  My network has been a mess since home group was removed. 

Here is a glass wire print screen.

glasswire 7 2.jpg
Contributor

I downloaded and installed Glass Wire, the free version and I think it is more useful than the xFi app:

https://www.glasswire.com/

I think comcast may be mixing local data usage within a household network into their total of data usage.  Glasswire may help me sort out those questions.

I am also going to switch away from the comcast leased modem that I put in recently and go with an owned SB6183 cable modem unit.  I haven't decided what kind of wireless router to set up with the Arris 6183, still looking at that piece of the puzzle. 

Good luck

Mike

Expert

@maryleacoday wrote:

I haven't decided what kind of wireless router to set up with the Arris 6183, still looking at that piece of the puzzle. 

Here's a very good site for researching routers;

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/view

Contributor

Keep in mind that GlassWire can only inform you about network traffic from devices upon which it is installed.  It won't account for data used by other devices such as phones (without the app), roku's, fire tv's etc.  To get information regarding data usage for your entire network of devices you need to monitor it at the router level.

If you feel adventurous, you could look into installing an alternate firmware for your netgear router which may allow you to enable such monitoring.  Otherwise you'll have to find a router that provides such a feature out of the box.

Silver Problem Solver

Don't forget also, that it wouldn't take account of X1 TV app usage too. (if any).

Expert

@Kicken wrote:

Keep in mind that GlassWire can only inform you about network traffic from devices upon which it is installed.  It won't account for data used by other devices such as phones (without the app), roku's, fire tv's etc.   

FWIW, I already stated that to the poster earlier in this thread.

Contributor

right, you have download the free version to each computer you want to monitor unless you buy the premium versions that allow you to monitor more than one computer per installation.  I believe Glasswire also has an android-based app.  I haven't played around with that yet, I don't know if they have an apple-based app, but I bet they do. 

This monitoring-data-usage thing is a lot of work, it's easier to just pay comcast for unlimited data.  It's only another $50 per month for the unlimited data and according to Comcast, 99% of users don't exceed the 1 TB cap, it's just the data hogs who are taking all the bandwidth away from their neighbors.  I think that's one of the justifications. 

I am trying to understand where all the data is going in this household and why it took a sudden jump two months ago, so I will play around with Glasswire for a bit and see if I can figure anything out.  I don't want to be a data hog if I can avoid it.

Contributor

This monitoring-data-usage thing is a lot of work, it's easier to just pay comcast for unlimited data.  It's only another $50 per month for the unlimited data and according to Comcast, 99% of users don't exceed the 1 TB cap, it's just the data hogs who are taking all the bandwidth away from their neighbors.  I think that's one of the justifications. 

I am trying to understand where all the data is going in this household and why it took a sudden jump two months ago, so I will play around with Glasswire for a bit and see if I can figure anything out.  I don't want to be a data hog if I can avoid it.

The limit doesn't really have anything to do with people "hogging" data, 1TB is not that much for people who take advantage of the modern digital world.  It's just a money grab from comcast and a preemptive move to introduce the fee now while the majority of people won't care because it doesn't affect them. They know full well that in the coming years 1TB of data will be eaten up faster and faster as more and more services move online and technology improves (ie, 4k video) requring more and more customers to then pay the "standard" fee.  The fact that they only seem to enforce this cap in areas where there's little to no competition, and that they've admitted the limit has nothing to do with network congestion/lack of available bandwidth, just about proves that.

Unlike some folks, I'm not wholly against the idea of a data limit, I just think comcast's current implementation and fees are absurd.

1) The limit shouldn't be the same for every speed tier, higher speed tiers should inherently have a higher limit.

2) $10/50GB overage is an absurdly high bandwidth fee $4/50GB would be more reasonable judging by major cloud provider's bandwidth pricing.

3) $50/month extra for unlimited is high.  $20 to $30 would be more reasonable, even better would be something like adding an extra 1TB for $5/month * however many TB a customer wants to add.

I had to eat the $50 shortly after they introduced it.  I knew it was coming so I'd been monitoring our usage and we were near the line every month.  I tried policing usage for a few months but quickly decided it wasn't worth my time and effort.  I wouldn't classify us as a "hog" either, we are just actively using a small portion of our connection constantly due to background services like online backups, pc/phone updates, etc. Over the last month for example, we have an average transfer rate of around 5.3Mbps, a tiny drop in the bucket of comcasts overall available bandwidth.  That figure is inflated as well as I decided if I have to pay the fee anyway, I may as well use data I'm paying for and started running a few extra data-using services I wouldn't normally run like bittorrent and bitcoin nodes and added online backups to all my computers instead of just my work computer.

Contributor

Data usage

Anyone else out there whose data usage is higher according to Comcast then it should be? I've had 84 GB of data through my router for the month of July, but when I check Comcast's meter, I've used 103 GB. Is there something I'm missing here?
Regular Contributor

Re: Data usage

I have given up on accurate data collection. Only way to know is to have an app on every device that tracks up/down data. I had a router that would so what mac addresses did and what app used what. I wish I had a router that did that, but now I am using comcast modem router.
Expert

@dcuddie wrote:
Anyone else out there whose data usage is higher according to Comcast then it should be? I've had 84 GB of data through my router for the month of July, but when I check Comcast's meter, I've used 103 GB. Is there something I'm missing here?

Did you read this?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-plan

Problem Solver

@kahnfewzd wrote:
I have given up on accurate data collection. Only way to know is to have an app on every device that tracks up/down data. I had a router that would so what mac addresses did and what app used what. I wish I had a router that did that, but now I am using comcast modem router.

You do know that you can set the Comcast gateway to Bridge Mode and use your own router? 

Expert

adding... your set top boxes also can use internet that counts toward the cap. (youtube, netflix, etc. any app marked 'internet').